Problems with starting engines

Hey!
I have several large drones that I have flown with no problems. But there was a problem with starting the engines. After starting, one of the engines may not start. I use a Cube Orange flight controller and Hobbywing X6 motors. This problem manifested itself in winter, although the engine manufacturer claims that they can withstand frosts down to -30. Below I will leave a video of the problem. I will be grateful for any advice

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vMRPhyAgoN4d2ICFHXTH1omBX9kjPW2v/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RbC1iMXcNKkBtIpPgBQNq6oLKov_-VUu/view?usp=sharing

2 Likes

Good afternoon, there is also such a problem with starting engines. Hobbywing X6 engines and a cube orange controller. Periodically and in a chaotic manner, one may fail to start. The problem began to manifest itself in the cold season. I am looking for solutions to this problem. I will be sincerely grateful for your help.

2 Likes

Did raising Mot_spin_arm parameter help?

1 Like

Have you got a .bin log to share?
Or at least a param file.

As amilcarlucas mentions, use MissionPlanner motor test to check and set MOT_SPIN_ARM
Set MOT_SPIN_MIN about 0.03 higher.

What are your:
MOT_PWM_MAX
MOT_PWM_MIN

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.
We increased this value, but it did not help. Problem hasn’t gone away

Thanks for your reply

MOT_PWM_MAX - 1940
MOT_PWM_MIN - 1100

This is not a permanent issue and I don’t have an exact log file.

Those are correct, just use MissionPlanner motor test to find and set MOT_SPIN_ARM, and MOT_SPIN_MIN needs to be a bit higher +0.03

Good day. My values ​​are
MOT_SPIN_ARM,0.11
MOT_SPIN_MAX,0.95
MOT_SPIN_MIN, 0.15
the difference between the parameters that you specified is 0.04, but the problem is manifested everywhere. During the motor test, the following values ​​were automatically set.

What happens in MissionPlanner motor test if you test with slightly higher values? Does that motor start up reliably?

The only other thing I can think of apart from increasing MOT_SPIN_ARM more is check that you have the correct values for
MOT_BAT_VOLT_MAX
MOT_BAT_VOLT_MIN
MOT_THST_EXPO

Use the Initial Parameters section, put in your prop size and battery cells. It will come up with a list of differences (new values) that allows you to select which ones to save. What happens with this?

With a log we might be able to tell more. You can set LOG_DISARMED,1 to capture everything including the motor tests. Later set it back to LOG_DISARMED,0
Upload that .bin log

A little later I can send you the log files. Thanks for the answer!

Hello! I managed to manifest this problem. The last time I started the engine (it’s 8 or 9), my engine didn’t start (C). I will leave a link to google drive where there will be a log file that you can read.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1UUGim60v2v4MPGlFqvPz8s60h6qaW-rg?usp=share_link

• Can you state what actually happens in MissionPlanner motor test for that motor (and others) ?
  • What is the minimum value that allows that motor to start up smoothly and reliably ?
  • Is that the same values for other motors?
  • Do all motors spin at about the same RPM for the same motor test value?

It is critical to get all motors working correctly in the motor test.

I think what’s going on is you are testing only in Loiter and hover thrust is not learned properly. The motor outputs are very low for two motors because the copter is not level (or it thinks it’s not level) and you are not giving it enough throttle to launch (hover thrust not learnt and Loiter is confusing the issue)
You need to start in Stabilise - be aware the throttle is under manual control, you will have to manipulate the throttle constantly to take off and to hover - but work through everything I’ve said below before trying another test flight.

If the problem with one motor persists you may have to organise a replacement, or closely check all your wiring.

Do each of these steps below

Definitely update firmware to latest stable.
There’s important fixes for Cube Orange and plenty more.

Set up flight modes Stabilise and AltHold - you appear to be only using Loiter but you’ll need the others to complete proper setup and tuning. Practice using Stabilise because one day you may need it if there’s a problem. During the rest of test and tuning, take off in AltHold and sometimes use Loiter.
Having both AltHold and Loiter in one flight is useful when examining logs. But as I said above, do the first couple of test flights in Stabilise, at least to launch and try to hover.

Level the copter by packing under the landing gear until a spirit level indicates level across the tops of the motors in all direction. In MissionPlanner / Mandatory… / Accel / press “Calibrate Level”

And set all these before next tests
I’ve chosen these values based on your prop size and battery cells and considering the size of this copter, so I’m not asking you to do random things.
ATC_INPUT_TC,0.2
BATT_ARM_VOLT,44.30
BATT_CRT_VOLT,42.00
BATT_LOW_VOLT,43.20
FENCE_ENABLE,1
INS_ACCEL_FILTER,10
INS_HNTCH_REF,0.15
INS_HNTCH_FREQ,40
INS_HNTCH_BW,20
INS_HNTCH_FM_RAT,0.7
INS_LOG_BAT_MASK,1
INS_LOG_BAT_OPT,4

I would also set:
BRD_SAFETYENABLE,0
and if you have a spring-centered throttle (I think you do)
PILOT_THR_BHV,7

If there is reliable motor start-up using Stabilise mode, arm and take off. Allow the copter to hover for a few minutes, use AltHold too. It could take some throttle input to get hover thrust to settle down while it relearns.

Upload that .bin log.

Thank you. I will do as you wrote.

Dear Pavel the video showed the front left motor not spinning and then it did after some time. If all motor ESC’s have been calibrated, then I think it can be a bad connection of one of the 3 motor wires or possibly the ESC. When the prop goes back and forth normally one of the phases is not connected properly to the ESC. So check that and the signal wire to the cube. Hope you solved the problem with so many good advices, Best Winfried