Pixhawk crash upside down

Hi Randy,

Can you have a look into this log from the pixhawk.
Was hovering for 1 minute and suddenly its flips over and run into the ground.
I cant find a problem in this log, pixhawk with 3dr external gps/compass
[attachment=0]2014-02-05 13-51.log[/attachment]

I can’t see anything obvious. I think the front right motor stopped for some reason. Everything is fine, and then it suddenly pitched forward and rolled right. Both at the same time, which usually indicates a motor failure.

It did try to save it, RCOut 1 goes up, and 2 went down, as you expect.

Hi Rob,

Is there anyway to log the motors output on the pixhawk to make sure that if a a motor is the problem we can find it in the logs.
On the bench without props I can’t hear any failures so want to make sure that with the next test all logs are enabled
Or are all logs enabled by default on the pixhawk?

Turn on the RCOUT messages in the logs

How can I see motor 1 is following the rcout commands of the FC
rcout and rcin are enabled in my logs, do I have to check if channel 1 rcin is following channel 1 rcout?
Want to see in the logs if the problem is a motor failure or esc synch problem
Specs
Flip FPV Quad with sunnysky 980 and AFRO esc with SK firmware.
Setup has never failed me with APM and after changing to pixhawk I had two sudden flips!!!

[quote=“peter750”]How can I see motor 1 is following the rcout commands of the FC
rcout and rcin are enabled in my logs, do I have to check if channel 1 rcin is following channel 1 rcout?
Want to see in the logs if the problem is a motor failure or esc synch problem
Specs
Flip FPV Quad with sunnysky 980 and AFRO esc with SK firmware.
Setup has never failed me with APM and after changing to pixhawk I had two sudden flips!!![/quote]

Here’s a graph where you can see motor 1 increasing, motor 2 decreasing… No way to know for sure what happened, just that the APM did the right thing and didn’t get a result.

Other pixhawk with afro esc with suddenly stopping motors with only signal connected
rcgroups.com/forums/showpost … tcount=776

Are there sync problems known???
Or is signal only pixhawk-esc a possible problem?

Peter did you ever get a resolution to this issue? I’ve detailed more information at diydrones.com/forum/topics/pixha … e=activity. Still having the problem and I’ve narrowed it down to being Pixhawk specific.

strange…

I have 2 pixhawks in a quad and hex and had 5 crashes similar to what you described and with the same appearing graft from your log… I have even swapped the PHs in the machines… The motors on the quad are 880kv and on the hex 385 kv… The ESCs are non-SimonK… The graph from my log looks like the one above… Is this a pixhawk+motor synching issue?

Today I have grounded the pixhawks until this issue is resolved and gone back to the APM 2.5 in my hex… It flies perfect…

How is this “SOLVED”???

I have had a similar experience now with my T960 Hexa and Pixhawk, I had hard left yaw, pitch fwd and roll right+++crash… thread here, viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6780

I suspect I had a Sync issue, but not sure…

could you take a look at my thread/logs/video…

and see what you think…

Cheers

BOB

how can I set this topic of mine to unsolved, I connected the return for the afro esc, went ok for two flights then out of sync issues en upside down motor one off en motor 3 low power, so Pixhawk did his best to stable the quad by lowering the opposite motor.
I lost confident in the pixhawk after reading more sync errors.
Replace pixhawk with apm, NO PROBLEMS 5 lipos no problems at all, put the pixhwk back and back to unstable motors.
I stopped with pixhawk until the esc32 are deliverd and try with the new esc’s.
Lost trust in Afro esc and sunnysky 980 with pixhawk.

Waiting on official 3DR response on this… but for now how can I set my topic to Unsolved?

I got brave enough to try the PH on my beater quad machine and so far, encouraged…

Forget autotuning for now
manual tuning started with Stab P around 3.0 to 3.5
gradually increase Rate D
gradually increase rate P and I together
I gradually increased Stab p but dont go near the default 4.5

Just using Rate gains and keeping Stab p low I am not seeing crazy “pitch-role-flip” yet seeing a crisp flying machine… It seems that higher Stab P is really critical…

Just built my quad over the weekend and installed the pixhawk and have major sync issues with my ESC’s. Stuttering, revving and under quick movement of the throttle, during the calibration it responds fine but when I try to fly the quad I get this constant glitching, it flies back and buries the rear props and it even has flipped over a few times., I’m in stabilize mode and I have tried to calibrate the ESC’s several times will try to manually calibrate them today . After reading all these posts I am now second guessing myself if I made the right choice in the pixhawk…

My setup is base TBS Discovery
900kV motors and TBS Bulletproof Esc’s…
Pixhawk with ublox GPS/compas…

It has been said before, and I will say it again:

If your ESCs are able to lose sync in autotune, they could lose sync at any time. Just because you’re testing a gentle hover in no turbulence and it works, does not mean that it will work in every flight condition.

“Fixing” the PIDs is not the solution. Changing the ESC is the solution.

Just because TBS markets their ESCs as “bulletproof,” clearly does not mean that they are immune to this SimonK problem.

So Jschall, tell me… What do you say to people like me and Xoltri,

Xoltri only has sync problems with pixhawk, not APM,

Mine does not have sync problems, but still flips!!

Bob

[quote=“BobFlint”]So Jschall, tell me… What do you say to people like me and Xoltri,

Xoltri only has sync problems with pixhawk, not APM,

Mine does not have sync problems, but still flips!!

Bob[/quote]

I’ve always used 3dr hardware so I have no idea. Never seen a 3dr setup lose sync.
I did start a discussion among the devs here: groups.google.com/d/msg/drones- … r11q0UWmAJ

Great, you started a discussion… My hexacopter really appreciates that, while it’s lying on it’s back…

And mission planner is announcing “crash”

You’ve never seen it?? Look at Xoltri’s videos

Would I fly a Pixhawk commercially… No
Would I fly a Pixhawk over a built-up area… No

If I was inside 45 days, I’d be raising a paypal dispute! The stupid thing doesn’t even have RSSI (though it’s listed in the features list)

You even said yourself you’re re-writing everything… The Pixhawk should never have been released…

I’m so sick of being on the unofficial 3DR R&D team …

Look at the growing list of issues for pixhawk… And 3DR won’t touch it…

Customer service is ZERO

GOODBYE 3DR

@BobFlint:
Please watch your language and re-read the forum rules!

Besides that - are you aware that 3DR technically is a mere hardware manufacturer? They do sponsor the software developers but the software is no 3DR product, thus I wouldn’t see any obligation of 3DR to provide support for this software!
Also, the Pixhawk strictly speaking was developed by a team around scientists of the University of Zurich, Switzerland and 3DR - although again sponsoring that development - strictly speaking is just the fab.
The autopilots are explicitly marketed as DIY-products. If you lack the technical skills to make them work or if you use 3rd-party components which turn out to be incompatible, that’s your own responsibility.
You can always buy a 3DR RTF system which is made with carefully selected and tested components in which case you WOULD get customer support from 3DR.

[quote=“StefanG”]@BobFlint:
Please watch your language and re-read the forum rules!

Besides that - are you aware that 3DR technically is a mere hardware manufacturer? They do sponsor the software developers but the software is no 3DR product, thus I wouldn’t see any obligation of 3DR to provide support for this software!
Also, the Pixhawk strictly speaking was developed by a team around scientists of the University of Zurich, Switzerland and 3DR - although again sponsoring that development - strictly speaking is just the fab.
The autopilots are explicitly marketed as DIY-products. If you lack the technical skills to make them work or if you use 3rd-party components which turn out to be incompatible, that’s your own responsibility.
You can always buy a 3DR RTF system which is made with carefully selected and tested components in which case you WOULD get customer support from 3DR.[/quote]
Well said.

Very well said indeed.