Pitch moves up and down when flying into wind

OK. Thank you. I might need more time to study then. :smiley:

Can I use those values you recommended on the same drones except FREQ and BW? It seems to me that FREQ and BW can vary even they are same drones using identical motors and ESCs.

Maybe, but there is no reason to do that when the Estimated Post Filter is predictive. It allows you to enter various filter configurations and test them virtually. Then do a flight and see how well it works actually.

Note: If you are using ESC RPM as the reference for the Notch Filter it’s easier to generalize about the configuration.

1 Like

I’m not using ESC RPM as reference but thanks for your suggestion.

As you adviced, I visited Filter Review Tool page and have played with it.

Is it the closer estimated post-filter to post-filter, the better?

They present 2 different results. Post-filter is the actual result of the parameters configured and Estimated is whatever you configure in the Filter Review Tool.

1 Like

Hi Dave,

I’m trynig to setup one of our drones properly from the scratch as you adviced. (It might still need some more time for the action yet.)

Your previous posting is the best source to refer to so I always come back here to re-read what you mentioned.

Firstly, I’d like to setup harmonic notch filter so I checked out your previous suggestion above.

I got a few questions regarding them again.

picture1
This is what I got when the flight log above was input.

picture2

1. ins_gyro_filter 20 doesn’t need to be changed?

2. same. default value of 400 doesn’t need to be changed?

3. If the frame is same, can I use 40 in other drones?

4. I can’t understand how you got that 0.75 out of Estimated post filter graph as you mentioned above. Can you show me how the value was calculated?

5. 1st harmonic, and 2nd harmonic, // Is it optimal for this drone? how can I know what to choose in there?

6. would double notch and triple notch enhance the filtering? I know it might load a lot more on FC.

7. Lastly, in another thread, it was told big drones might need a second notch filter. Shouldn’t I also use a second notch filter as well?

HNOTCH phase << I found this thread very informing and easy to follow. Can I follow the phase described in there in a exactly same manner? Especially, ins_log_bat_mask/opt value changes. 1/0 to 1/2 to 0/0

• After HNOTCH phase 3, it says ‘no extra logging, asummes…’ Does it mean there is nothing to be fixed after modifyiing bat_mask/opt values?

Thank you so much for your support.

1. No, you already set that with the Initial Tune Parameters.
  2. No.
  3. 40 what? Each craft is unique.
  4. This depends on the bandwidth of the peak. There is no calculation, set a value, run estimated and see if it’e effective. In all cases you want the minimum filter action to do the job.
  5. Click “show notch” and see if what you configured is being addressed. If one harmonic will do then choose that. If there is a 2nd showing then add that.
  6. Probably not, it will just be overfiltering.
  7. This depends if there is a peak/mode that is not a harmonic of the primary mode. Or, if there is a static mode.

That Phase 3 is just disabling batch logging after completing the configuration. Good idea on old slow processors like F4/F7. On H7 you can leave it enabled.

There is a lot of theory about filters but the Notch Filter Tool is setup so you can test various configurations w/o understanding the underlying theory. So, use the tool to do that.

1 Like