Passthrough telemetry over CRSF (crossfire)

Hi did you enable custom CRSF telemetry on Ardupilot with RC_OPTIONS +=256?

Many Thanks for the reply Alex , Grateful !
Yes have done that
Baud Rate = 57
RC_Options = 256 ( was zero earlier )
Protocol = 23
Have been struggling for a long time , Ä° get all the Telemetry Data in the Telemetry Tab, but not on the Yaapu Widget Screen ( Only the GPS Coordinates are seen in the Widget )
Have tried to change the version of Ardupilot Firmware, Updated TBS firmware, Today even rolled back from EdgeTX to OpenTX just to rule out if that is an issue.

Regards

Hi guys, I did my first flight of the year today and ran into an issue. Iā€™m not 100% sure itā€™s CRSF related.

In short, telemetry and RC completely froze, fortunately after the landing. Hereā€™s the log:

Note: Iā€™m currently having trouble with MP opening logs in *.log format (bin works), always getting errors like this, which Iā€™ve never seen before:

The file seems to open ok in MavExplorer, but Iā€™ve never been able to plot anything there (crash).

Versions of AP and Crossfire are still from last October (which is when I last flew), and of course I will update, but I thought it might still be worth trying to find the reason for this freeze.

Do you have a non-anonomized log? There is something wrong with that file. Even in MavExplorer it was struggling. I was able to get graphs, but they took much longer than normal. Also when I tried to check messages they were very slow to display. Itā€™s like the logging rate is too high (the file size is also big compared to similar logs). Iā€™ve seen this before but Iā€™m sure how to turn the logging rate down.

Tune looks like it needs work. Perhaps C of G isnā€™t correct looking at how itā€™s pitching up and down.

I donā€™t think you have a CRSF issue. Or at least not related to this thread. Probably a good idea to start a new post in the Plane channel.

Thanks, at least the log mystery is solved: Now that you mention it, I remembered that I had set SCHED_LOOP_RATE to 4x its normal value (200), based on advice for small planes I got from @tridge, who also mentioned that this would increase log size a lot. Probably too much to parse for MP. Iā€™ll turn it down to 100.

Iā€™m not such a big fan of publicly posting GPS data, so Iā€™ll send you a link to the bin via PM.

In the meantime I noticed that this is not the first time this occured. Last October I had the same problem, only that time it was before launch, this time it was after the landing. Plane went to CIRCLE, then RTL, telemetry froze, and RC was gone. Yet there was no message about an actual radio FS.

So I swapped out the receiver, tested the connection at home and assumed a faulty RX after the problem didnā€™t re-appear. Now it looks like it wasnā€™t the RX but something else must be causing it.

Still, the first thing Iā€™ll do is update AP and Crossfire, the issue might have been solved months ago without me even noticing it (Iā€™m totally absent from RC in winter).

Side note: Never mind the flight itself, I hadnā€™t flown in months and I didnā€™t enjoy the bumpiness in the wind with the small plane (Dart 250G), so I more or less aborted the attempt and came right back down.

Donā€™t worry about the log. Itā€™s probably the loop rate causing the issue, not the anonymity. TBS has a few update since last fall, so itā€™s probably worth trying that first.

Did you have a geofence? Iā€™ve noticed that you can get geofence breach failsafe triggered on the ground both before takeoff and after landing if you have FENCE_ENABLE on.

Thatā€™s in fact very interesting, I didnā€™t know that. But a geofence breach failsafe wouldnā€™t freeze RC and telemetry I guess?

Still havenā€™t got around to updating the plane and Crossfireā€¦ hopefully this weekend.

Looks like there has been going on quite a lot on the TBS side while I was ā€˜awayā€™. For example, CRSF V3 has been entirely removed in the latest update: TBS Crossfire / Tracer 6.17 Firmware Released | IntoFPV Forum due to Random CRSF Failsafes and intermittent RX Signal "Loss" Ā· Issue #11428 Ā· betaflight/betaflight Ā· GitHub

Does this have any implications for AP, anything to be aware of as a user?

1 Like

v2 should work fine. They are working on a revised protocol which will ultimately be easier for us to support properly.

Thatā€™s great to hear. In the meantime I updated Crossfire and AP (4.3.0-dev) and left the plane running at home for about 30 minutes. Nothing unusual happened, so I hope the problem is gone.

I am having a similar issue here, and was wondering if you found a solution? Yaapu Telemetry Widget flight modes do not match ardupilot. But otherwise, the Yaapu widget works great. Is there some other place on my TX16s that I need to set the flight modes, or should Yaapu be figuring them out?

I am using v4.3.0-dev and Yaapu Telemetry Widget 1.9.6 dev.
Yaapu vs Ardupilot:
nothing = Circle
nothing = Land
Simple = RTL
OffBoard = Auto
RAttitude = Loiter
AltCtl = Stabilize

The Ardupilot modes do show up correctly in the radio under model telemetry, just not being picked up by Yaapu Telemetry Widget it would seem.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Walter

In the Yaapu config parameters on your radio uncheck Px4.

1 Like

help! there is no data for telemetry from the flight controller, I checked with an oscilloscope, there is data for reception but no data for transmission.
f765 wing ardupilot 4.1.5 ŠæрŠ¾Š±Š¾Š²Š°Š» рŠ°Š·Š½Ń‹Šµ Š½Š°ŃŃ‚Ń€Š¾Š¹ŠŗŠø

Hello Alex! Thx for great yaapu script! Will it work if I only use the only mavlink connection from the receiver(mavlink_rx, mavlink_tx) with option ā€œRC by mavlinkā€? I donā€™t using CRSF connection to FC. Thx!!!

Hi, it will not work, it requires native CRSF support

hello, everything works for me but I canā€™t flash it, I do it like the instructions but I get an error like in the photo, what could be the problem?
itā€™s just a problem rather because of the ardupilot, because when I flash inav, the moduleā€™s firmware goes fine. board f765-wing, r9mm,

Hi Alex @yaapu - I have been chasing a pesky issue with CRSF and EdgeTx starting with 2.6. Agent Lite doesnā€™t see the MicroTx V2 module, that App is very slow, and there are other odd delays. So today I received a new Radiomaster TX16S MKII, updated it to EdgeTx 2.7.1 (came with 2.6) and before installing the Yaapu SD card contents tested things out. The Agent Lite app recognized the Tx right away and it was very snappy loading the Tx, Rx and Vtx. Then I installed your script files and itā€™s back to where I was with the other radio. I delete the script files and itā€™s back to working.

I understand something similar is seen with ELRS.

Great find Dave! @dkemxr
I will test this today with my setup. I also had the yaapu telemetry script installed, but to get the OpenTX mavlink firmware running, I had to use a fresh SD-card with only the official content and the mavlink scripts on it. I will let you know how it went.

Hi guys, I also had an Agent Lite slowness issue last year (just in case itā€™s related in some way): Passthrough telemetry over CRSF (crossfire) - #804 by UnknownPilot

At the moment Iā€™m not having this issue with Arduplane latest, but I have neither updated to EdgeTX nor updated Agent Lite or the Yaapu script since last autumn.