Overpowered hexacopter?

Which autotune’s aggressiveness I should choose?

Use default autotune aggressiveness.
You can autotune pitch or roll first, then copy the new PIDs into the other axis so they are the same, then do another autotune of both pitch and roll. This is probably the quickest way.
You can do Yaw autotune afterwards, or all three together if you have enough battery.

Rather than doing the full accel calibration again, just do the “Calibrate Level” after you actually level your whole aircraft. Dont try to level just the flight controller - you want the “prop disc” leveled.
Dont assume that whatever the aircraft is sitting on is level…

I would set INS_HNTCH_REF,0.125 down further to 0.1 but it’s not critical. This means notch filtering starts from just below hover throttle, instead of right on hover throttle.

OK, so I set INS_HNTCH_REF to 0,1
I set Chanel 7 switch to autotune, works on table (but I get only error as expected not in flight)
Flight modes for now are: Stabilize/AltHold/Loitier I should change transmitter config to 6 flight modes later.
I set AUTOTUNE_AXES to 1 (roll first)
AUTOTUNE_AGGR (0,1 - stock value)
I turn off That INS_LOG_BAT_MASK and INS_LOG_OPTION all to 0.
Shold be ready for first autotuning.
Autotune.param (17.1 KB)

Tooday is little windy so maybe in evening will be much calmer, for now wind is about 3,62m/s.
I wonder about Radio failsafe. It should turn to RTL when I disconnect radio but instead it goes in to Loitier. Previously on old settings works fine. What should be about it? Maybe I should set higher PWM (FS_THR_VALUE)?

OK, Seems Roll autotune works fine. After recalibration of accelerometers it flies quite good in AltHold :slight_smile: Wind was below 1,5m/s in evening. And that Roll autotune took about 10minutes with few position correction. Maybe tomorrow will be good enough to do pitch axis.

Default values after initial setups.

After roll axis autotune.

Is it good? Flies good and didn’t crash :slight_smile:

Don’t know. A log of an Auto Tune session doesn’t tell you much unless you flew around some after it completed. Make another flight and give it some rather aggressive Roll and then review ATT-Desired Roll vs Roll and see how well it tracks.

1 Like

Ok for now Roll and Pitch autotune is done.

Early morning wind was almost nothing less than 0,7m/s so that was good time to make Pitch autotune.

So maybe later I can do Yaw as well.

Yaw calibration done :slight_smile: Maybe tomorrow I make some test flight to check results.

For sure it flies :slight_smile:
I do roll tuning again and now it looks quite as expected. Later I post some log from normal flight to check how it performs now.

1 Like

Test flight (loitier and stabilize). Loitier isn’t good enough, is slowed down somehow, really muddy, sluggish. I think I have to change something to make it fly at least half like in stabilize. But Stabilize was really nice and I’m quite happy with that how it’s fly. Fast, accurate, from ground looks good (I have to take a look at logs how it looks there).

What do you think this time about that?

There are parameters for that:
LOIT_ACC_MAX,500
LOIT_ANG_MAX,0
LOIT_BRK_ACCEL,250
LOIT_BRK_DELAY,1
LOIT_BRK_JERK,500
LOIT_SPEED,1250

1 Like

Thanks for help and good pointing Dave :slight_smile: Autotuning and filters looks really good now. I have to check and set that loitier params. In stabilize mode it flies great now. Even without althold it keeps steady in air at mid throttle :slight_smile: I just test it for litte while with some wind but works great now. Maybe even better than stock one.
I checked that ATT logs for all axes and I think it’s quite accurate after autotuning so I leave that last PIDs as I feel happy with them.

The loiter parameters that @dkemxr won’t change anything about the tuning. They will just improve the “feel” of the drone. The defaults are pretty conservative so lots of people change them.

I know that. What values I should start with?
Now for example when I moving from point A to B in Stabilize it takes 5 sec. In loitier about 30 or so.
I tought about that lean angle but if it’s set to 0 it should use stock value (30 I suppose? Is that same used in stabilize?)
Stabilize works great for me, and I want to set simmilar speeds on loitier, Ok maybe at least 50-60% for better control.

I’d start with LOIT_SPEED. Then LOIT_ANG_MAX. It’s somewhat subjective so whatever floats your boat.

Review the Loiter Wiki but the parameters names are fairly self explanatory.
BTW-If you are going to review the logs the NTUN data is now found in PSCE and PSCN

I wonder maybe I should change loitier to PosHold instead to have steering like in stabilize and steady position when sticks are in the middle.

Position Hold is obsolete and for all intents and purposes has been replaced by Loiter. PosHold has 2 parameters, you now know how many Loiter has.

I will start with that loitier speed maybe around 2500 or something more. As I read lying angle in loitier depends on that max speed setting as olny this rise it up to depended limit. Lean angle max (standard value 45 deg) only prevents to lean more if I set too much speed.
That make sense right now.
PosHold seems to be good to go to POI you want to film… using stabilize speeds but it has less breaking capability, than Loitier makes flying around it much smoother for more stabile filming and faster breaking.
So I think problem solved :slight_smile:

Keep in mind that generally Loiter is for relatively precise control, positioning and position hold. So you can let go of the sticks, move around objects, position payloads, operate smoothly (not compromising payloads) and efficiently.
The problem with PosHold is you dont have the smooth adjustable control that you have with Loiter.
If you want to cruise or race around at limits and burn up the battery power use AltHold or Stabilise - Drift mode is cool, give it a go!

1 Like

You right. Looking from that side all is fine and works as it should. Flying for example 200-300m in loitier to make few shots and come back takes to much time better do it in Poshold for less drift and then change to loitier.
All goes to more than standard 3 flight modes :wink: to extend flexibility. Or stability should be enough for crousing but needs more practice;)

What Flight modes you use at most? I fix my transmitter settings so now I can easly set 6 FM or even something more to addional unused switches :slight_smile: