Optical flow sensor in ArduCopter?

Has anyone used successfully the MTF-01 optical flow sensor in ArduCopter (picture attached). This one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005545782306.html
I bought two as they are very cheap for what do they promise
I did set it up in ArduCopter as per instructions (serial port speed, type to mavlink, range finder 1 type and min/max distance), but I get in MissionPlanner “Bad Lidar Health” message. In the status window, optical flow values and range values remain at 0. If I move it around, up, down, nothing changes: same error message, same 0 values in the status window.
I double checked the wiring, the serial port assignment to UARTs, everything looks fine.

If I connect it (the sensor) to a PC, using a serial port, I see data that looks like MAVLink coming in. If I connect it to the Windows app to configure it, I see in the graphs that the values change as I move the sensor, and it is configured to output mavlink data.

Has anyone managed to use this sensor in Arducopter successfully? Any tips? I only found some youtube videos for INav, but I don’t use INav in any of my drones.
Thank you!

1 Like

So I guess you set serial to 115 and Flow Type to Mavlink : 5

What do you see if you look at Mavlink Inspector in Mission Planner (or QGC) ?

There is a PX4 Mavlink version. Perhaps you have that one? The fact there is a different one for Arducopter and PX4 suggests some incompatibility. I’d be interested to help you get this running as I am considering buying one for indoor flying.

Yes I did.
Nothing in MP, the optical flow position params remains at 0.

I think only default params of the device differ. Anyway, I checked with their software and the device is configured as per their instructions and is using MAVLink. And yes, I did ordered the ArduPilot version.
Maybe I’ll try it again when I will build a new drone with a different FC board.