On a low-cost/mid range FPV Arducopter

I have only the R9 system. With an R9slim+ receiver i get seveal kilometer of range. But i never tested. I do not use frsky telemetry anymore.
On the one hand side it is useless to have data on your remote while wearing goggles. I fly fpv only.
On the other hand you may use up to 500mW on the remote Tx but the telemetry from the drone is always limited to 25mW.

1000mw with FCC adaptive (R9M) and I believe telemetry is at 100mw. Jumper 5in1 has been posted as 300mw, no idea for telemetry.

My numbers are based on LBT firmware for Eu.

1 Like

@THKoelnMech - do you know what is (approximately) the optimal speed to get the longest range (with a 4S battery) for this copter? What does your intuition/experience tell you? Is it more like 20-40km/h or 80-100km/h?

I never tried to optimize range. I would guess 40-60 km/h

Speed and efficiency also depend on your prop , how they perform to cut air , if you running 5inch then try new gemfan 5226 (i love you prop)

For longer flight time you will need other motors with lower kV rating like the racerstar aira 1200kv and 5s or 6s battery.

I tested yesterday, for the setup with 4s 2000mAh i get around 10 minutes at 60km/h.

Do I need to purchase/install an APM module to recieve telemetry and send commands remotely with Mission Planner? I know it may be an odd use for an FPV drone but I want to use it for experimentation.

you need a telemetry module, like the “RFD TX mod v2”.

What do you mean by APM module? are you talking about a APM 2.8 autopilot?

Sorry, I got confused by some of the terms and incorrectly thought APM was a telemetry module. I’ll look into the radio you mentioned, thanks!

The TX Mod V2 is a great radio system, but if you need something a little more wallet friendly check this one out. It won’t have near the range but it works.

1 Like