Omnipresense radars compatible with Ardupilot/pixhawk?

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone knew if the Omnipresense radars are compatible with Ardupilot/pixhawk and if there is some documentation online on how to implement it. I know they have a ROS package. So using a companion computer may be the best way to implement it. Please advise…

Hello,

I have already worked with these radars. They do not have drivers for ardupilot.

Thanks Bruno…would it be possible to intergrate it with ardupilot using ROS? They have a ROS driver. Please advise…

I am not familiar with ROS systems… when I needed to use this radar I developed my own driver and built my custom ArduCopter firmware.

Ah ok I see. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Hi Bruno,

Who can I engage to create a driver and custom ArduCopter firmware?

Learn how to setup the environment and build the code by this link:

https://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/building-the-code.html

You can take a look on other rangefinder drivers in order to have an idea on how to implement it, based on the materials omnipresense makes available to customers (like arduino sketches).

Hi @BrunoBagarini

I also intend to use Omnipresnse sensor as terrain tracking sensor. However, the field of view of omnipresense sensor is 70 degrees wide, while the sensors that I find off the shelf seem to be around 40 degrees. I can write the driver for this, but I have the following queries.

Q1 : How will this wider field of view affect terrain tracking ability?
Q2 : Is this better suited for obstacle avoidance?

Any inputs from the forum is highly appreciated.