Number of GPS sats

Not really a ardupilot question but someone here might know!

For some reason if you set up the gps via ublox, enable galileo and gps etc etc, whatever I do I get 12 sats wherever I go on a BN-220 , 280 and 880.

Same on Inav, pick up 20+

Is there some secret config or settings Inav does on boot to config the gps or something?

thanks

What specific software and hardware combo limits you to 12 sats?

My guess for the different counts is differing signal quality thresholds. Some systems require a higher quality signal in order to count the satellite. Apparently some systems count any satellite in the sky.

I consistently see more satellites listed in the u-center software than the number of sats indicated on the OLED of the GPS module.

For example when I captured this display from the software on my PC, the OLED indicated 17 sats. I count 21 sats picked up by the PC.

The hardware connected to the PC in this example is the same hardware which indicated 17 satellites.

If you use 3 constellations, for example gps, glonass, galileo, arducopter does not work well. There is a patch for this problem but it is not yet integrated into 4.0.7 FW

1 Like

Just using any BN GPS with ublox center at the moment.

Can not get another satellites received than GPS or GLONASS.

Whatever I try and do, its just those.

I’m pretty sure those two systems are all that is available for those devices. The devices you mentioned are listed as “GPS and GLONASS.”
I think you need “dual-band” modules to pickup Galileo or BeiDou satellites.

Specs say it does

• Frequency : GPS L1,GLONASS L1,BeiDou B1,SBAS L1,Galileo E1

When using Inav it picks up 20+ sats.

Just trying to work out how to configure for ardupilot or ublox to do the same as inav is doing.

Read that nmea only gives a max of 12 sats, not sure if thats correct?

cant seem to get it working with ubx only?

Bit lost :slight_smile:

You’re right. I was looking at a different page which only listed GPS and GLONASS.

For what it’s worth, I don’t see any Galileo satellites listed with my expensive GPS. I do see some Bei Dou satellites though.

What sort of list do you get from u center?

Hopefully someone who knows more than I do will chime in.

I don’t know if in plane the galileo fix is ​​integrated, but in copter it is integrated by the 4.1 beta. With the BN220 and the copter with 4.0.5 custom FW (with galileo fix) I got +20 sats.

@Alberto_Ds,

Yes, the fix linked is also in the Plane and Rover releases. Unlike previous releases, this time we’ve sycronised Plane, Copter and Rover so they are all nearly identical.

2 Likes

Thanks Randy, good news!
We also wait for the server to compile the fw based on user requests. It would be very useful for FCs <1MB!