Normal range for 3DR V2 telemetry radios (100mw)?

Hello, so I ordered a pair of telemetry radios on Banggood (these ones) and when I searched up online the signal range I keep seeing people reporting only 200-300m range on max output! Is that true? What range to expect from these? Is there any difference in range using Mission Planner instead of Tower (DroidPlanner V4.0)?

You should get a couple of kilometres if they are built properly and not using factory seconds parts like a lot of the pixhawk 2.4.8 clones. Keep the antennas away from other electronics as much as possible and dont place them in the “shadow” of the battery.
Stay with the default data rates and you should be fine.

1 Like

What do you mean by

don’t place them in the shadow of the battery?

Mount the antenna so the battery isn’t between the air radio and the ground radio.

1 Like

Tower? If you have a version still running on an Android device. And of course the Ground Station used has nothing to do with range.

1 Like

I have seen trouble with intererence from voltage regulators and onboard computers cause trouble after 50meters, and I had fine telemetry at 10km (unless when in turns) at with stock antenna on the airplane’s HM-TRP and a 6-element Yagi on the ground.
I also used the serial interface + FTDI , as it performs marginally better than when using the onboard USB interface.

1 Like