"No SRTM data for this area" on south pacific sea

Hello,

I am planning to use a ardupilot VTOL for deep sea operations in the South Pacific while on a ship. I am currently programming a plugin for this purpose, so I turned on SITL, but have come across some issues:

When I click “set home here” on the right-click menu, a message screen appears with the text “No SRTM data for this area”. This is happening on versions 1.3.75 and 1.3.80 of the mission planner.

but, with programming method(with plugin), home point was updated well without error message.

As the ship’s position is constantly moving, the home point should be able to update on the mission planner while operating in the South Pacific deep sea.

This problem is persistent with current version.

I’m sure that in the sea we have many possibility to make drone to help world’s productivity.

in current version, this problem persists.

I am also concerned about the blocking of updating the home position due to error message “No SRTM data in this area” in the poor internet connectivity environments.

In the ocean, accessing the internet freely is not feasible. The internet connection relies on satellite connectivity, which is limited in speed.

Using ArduPilot and Mission Planner in such oceanic conditions raises concerns for me.

I suggest fixing this problem. Additionally, I have reported this issue on GitHub.

please try the latest beta

My friend, have you solved this problem? If solved, how can I manually set the home point?

Which area you facing the problem?

I’m not sure ardupilot will still download terrain if terrain is disabled and/or alt type is relative to home. Sounds like a good option to try as you don’t need terrain anyway. Like,
TERRAIN_ENABLE, 0
RTL_ALT_TYPE, 0

Another option would be downloading to SD all the terrain tiles you will need beforehand → Terrain Following (in Auto, Guided, etc) — Copter documentation

I need to test whether my optical flow is working properly, which requires setting an EKF starting point, but since I am not connected to the Internet, Mission planner will show me this error and the copter icon cannot appear in the map.