Nimbus Tricopter VTOL

Nice Greg! Quite wooded there? Not a good place to lose a plane :sweat_smile:.

Nimbus flying well?

Hi Graham,

Yeah, we live in a world of hurt for R/C planes here. Itā€™s even worse if I fly down the street from my house from a small clearing but thatā€™s what VTOLs allow us to do. My Nimbus is flying amazingly well. I no longer have an application for mapping so I have been flying it LOS manually in various flight modes. I am cleaning out my loft and have flown 25 different planes this summer. All my giant scale stuff is being sold because itā€™s too much for me to handle now. The Nimbus, on the other hand, breaks down nicely and my one servo replacement in the tail has been my only issue.

How has your Nimbus been? I have heard that several people are happy with their dual-battery setup and controller from FoxTech.

Cheers!

great view out there

@GregCovey @Graham_Dyer i want to ask u somethingā€¦ some times when i fly, my plane looks like tail heavyā€¦ can u tell me where is exact your nimbus CG position is?

hmmā€¦ i think i have the informationā€¦ thank you anyway

Yes, you found it. The CG is 100mm from the Leading Edge.

Hi Guyā€™s iā€™m a first time VTOL want a b,i just received my Nimbus Kit today, i sent for the V2 tilt and waiting on rear motor mount,AS Sensor,landing gear. I have a Taranis X9D+ SE,iā€™ll use either X8R or EZUHF or R9m= Rx, and while waiting on my parts to make this a VTOL i thought iā€™d get my nimbus ready but first i looked all over to get a SD card for my taranis setup and also looked on MP for VTOL firmware i couldnā€™t find it so i found this thread and iā€™m begging for some help or guidance to get me started on this new venture Please! thanks to all who would help.

Hi Butch or Ron,

Welcome to the APM VTOL forums! Since you said the magic word, ā€œTaranisā€, that makes it easy to get started. Simply unzip, load, and copy my model file below into your setup using the OpenTx Companion.

Cheers!

TaranisNimbusVTOL.zip (914 Bytes)

1 Like

WOW Thank You Iā€™m getting nervous and excited for the quick reply!

HI Greg got it thanks

May be a stupid question regarding question above about CoG :
Does the CoG is respected in copter modes ? So it means 100mm from the leading edge is the line center of triangle (isosceles or equilateral triangle ?) made by 3 motors ?

The CoG is important for both copter and plane modes. However, the VTOL design is mostly a forward flight plane so this CoG is most important. In copter mode, the Flight Controller can compensate for some off balance when hovering.

Cheers!

Ok, thank you.
So where is copter cog in nimbus ? 100mm from leading edge ?

Ideally, it is also 100mm from the leading edge. We all have slight variations in builds from each other so it is likely close.

Years ago, I flew a 550mm hexacopter with different motors and props using APM. Although the throttle levels to the ESCs were slightly different, it flew beautifully!

1 Like

hi everyone ā€¦ i tried to use Holybro pixhawk 4 mini on my nimbus vtol, but it looks like BRD_TYPE isnā€™t found ā€¦
does anyone know how to make it work?

board was not detected at all

Download the stable v3.9.10 firmware from here for the PH4-mini and then do a custom firmware update.

Good luck!

Hi Greg: i got your files and model on the taranis however i donā€™t have a 6 position rotary knob on my Tx so could just replace the S3 with 2 -3 position switches (SD&SG) and i downloaded MP v3.9.10 and will i need to change any of those Params to get the nimbus to at least look like it going work? Thanks Butch.K

Butch,

You can use SD and SG without issue. You shouldnā€™t need to change any parameters unless you connected things differently or used different motors or props. Iā€™m not sure what your setup is.

Remember to load and write the parameters twice with a reboot in between. This allows the Q_ENABLE parameter to make all the other Q paramters visible. So youā€™ll get lots of errors on the first cycle unless you already have Q_ENABLE set to 1.

Good luck!

Yes, u rightā€¦ after do some search i found it tooā€¦ i have to flash custom firmwareā€¦ and the BRD_TYPE = 24 ā€¦ superb