Nimbus Tricopter VTOL

Mine is 1600. And if you want to change the speed during one interval of the fly then you can change it with DO CHANGE SPEED command

2 Likes

today is my darkness dayā€¦ https://youtu.be/4qCxXeBMXqk
I have no logs from this crash ā€¦ I hope you have an opinion about what I did wrong in this test ā€¦
basically I just set the flight plan and then arm the motor and switch to automatic mode from qstab ā€¦

Uffffsā€¦, sorry. I put on your skin and my soul hurts. the message on the HUD in red >> terrain_enable = 1? I do not know if this could have caused the overturn.

Alt column of VTOL_LAND command should be zero but this os not the cause of crash

Likewise, very sorry for your crash! Have you got the TLOG from telemetry?

That is very strange as the movement of the ailerons show that the flight controller was trying to correct the roll so it was wasnā€™t the flight controller. Musa, did you change or adjust anything on the plane?

It may be irrelevant but in this screen grab the left motor prop has broken (after the first ground strike) but note it is not spinning as it should be even after the strike and broken prop. Complete loss of thrust in one motor could cause it to flip like that as the opposite motor canā€™t react quick enough to stop the rotation.

@Graham_Dyer i donā€™t change anything except ARSPD_FWB_MIN from 12 to 15, but well i manage to repair it (with some duck tape and glue) ā€¦ and i thinking about rewiring and change the pixhawk so next time i have the log to analyzeā€¦ maybe before i do automation, at first i will fly manually just to make sure it all okā€¦

Is the TLOG not on the PC?

Anibal Manuel,

I looked at your 3.BIN log and could not graph anything in Mission Planner v1.3.62. I am not sure why it doesnā€™t work. It showed that you are using ArduPlane v3.9.5 with NuttX. All my newer setups are using ChibiOS. Is anyone else still using NuttX builds?

Musa,

That was painful to watch so I am glad that you are a master of ā€œduck tape and glueā€. When you get it flying manual again, try a more simple AUTO flight from the air. First, simply have the mission fly waypoints in plane mode. In this manner, you can manually take off and land the plane. Second, add the RTL (QRTL mode) to the end of the mission and let it land autonomously. This should provide better confidence for the final step of take-off and VTOL transition.

Good luck!

yes, u are rightā€¦ i will do simple at firstā€¦ i decided to swap my pixhawk and rearrange all cable and connection, also change the SDcard with a new one, hopefully next time i will have the log fileā€¦ and yes i do expert on duck tape hahahahaā€¦
i just finish change my nimbus broken tail servo, after some servo trim itā€™s ready to fly againā€¦

and before it fly again, i have reset all my setting, reconfigure and re calibration all the input and sensor and set this parameter

PARAMETER Value
ARMING_CHECK 0
ARMING_REQUIRE 1
ARMING_RUDDER 2
ARSPD_FBW_MAX 25
ARSPD_FBW_MIN 14
ARSPD_USE 1
BATT_MONITOR 4
BRD_SD_SLOWDOWN 0
EK2_IMU_MASK 3
FLTMODE_CH 8
INS_ENABLE_MASK 3
LIM_PITCH_MAX 2000
LIM_PITCH_MIN -1500
LIM_ROLL_CD 4500
MIXING_GAIN 0,8
Q_A_RAT_PIT_P 0,35
Q_A_RAT_RLL_P 0,4
Q_A_RAT_YAW_D 0,07
Q_A_RAT_YAW_FF 0
Q_A_RAT_YAW_FILT 2,5
Q_A_RAT_YAW_I 0,05
Q_A_RAT_YAW_IMAX 0,5
Q_A_RAT_YAW_P 0,7
Q_ENABLE 1
Q_FRAME_CLASS 7
Q_M_SPIN_ARM 0,1
Q_RTL_ALT 30
Q_RTL_MODE 1
Q_RTL_MODE 1
Q_TILT_MASK 3
Q_TILT_MAX 65
Q_TILT_RATE_DN 50
Q_TILT_RATE_UP 200
Q_TILT_TYPE 2
Q_TILT_YAW_ANGLE 13
Q_TRANSITION_MS 3000
Q_VFWD_GAIN 0,05
Q_VFWD_GAIN 0,05
Q_WVANE_GAIN 0
Q_WVANE_MINROLL 3
RTL_RADIUS 0
SERVO1_FUNCTION 4
SERVO1_REVERSED 1
SERVO10_FUNCTION 76
SERVO2_FUNCTION 80
SERVO2_REVERSED 1
SERVO3_FUNCTION 0
SERVO4_FUNCTION 79
SERVO5_FUNCTION 33
SERVO6_FUNCTION 34
SERVO7_FUNCTION 10
SERVO8_FUNCTION 36
SERVO9_FUNCTION 75
TERRAIN_ENABLE 0
THR_FAILSAFE 1
TRIM_ARSPD_CM 1500

is there any unusual on my parameter?

Musa,

The parameters seem fine. Remember to change ARMING_CHECK back to 1 and do a full check before flying.

Good luck!

yes, i think i will but for now i will let it 0
btw, after swapping my pixhawk, the log file is appearā€¦ so itā€™s looks promisingā€¦

Your motor is also spinning when your prop isnā€™t (on the right one after the crash on the ground). Loose props could have done that too.

hmmmā€¦ i could beā€¦ but my air crash investigation :smile: after that accident, i found that the prop hole is burn because of frictionā€¦ so there is a friction between prop and motor but u are right itā€™s loose but iā€™m not sure thatā€™s prop is already loose before or after the first hitā€¦ but for sure next time i better check all the prop bolt before take offā€¦ thanksā€¦

Just had the weirdest thing. Took the plane for a flight after a few weeks. Plane had flown fine the last time and hadnā€™t even been booted up since then.

Got an error that the trim values were lower than the minimum values and when I checked all 16 channels trim values were set at 874!?

How on earth does that happen? First time itā€™s booted in weeks and somehow all the trim values change?

Or is this just one of the idiosyncrasies of Ardupilot that we must accept?

Hi Graham,

I have seen that issue as well. When it was most prominent on my Tarot 680 Pro hexacopter, I replaced the old Pixhawk 1 with a Pixhawk v2.4.8 (also Version 1) and it went away. On other VTOLS, a re-boot can fix it or simply reloading your parameters from the PC file can fix it. If the plane was recently used, I did not have an issue.

I had some suspicions that my older Pixhawk 1 FCs were just losing their flash capability and I had other suspicions that it was an ArduPilot firmware issue across platforms (Plane, Copter, Rover, etc). I have not booted my VTOLs in months so it might make for an interesting weekend test. Although it is officially Spring here, the weather is still poor.

Cheers!

hmmā€¦ it make sense because i think i have experience this tooā€¦ but after i load my last parameter it fix againā€¦

Hey guys, here is some info on using Q_Autotune incase you want to interrogate the logs and find out what went wrong on the last flight. The first two went well but didnā€™t complete Pitch tuning. VTOL QuadPlane Tricopter Autotune - CRASH

Hi ovolkmann,

You may try posting your questions directly in the AUTOTUNE Blog here. I havenā€™t read any indication that AUTOTUNE has been successful on a tricopter or Numbus VTOL, nor can I find it in the Wiki. The quote below may be old but I havenā€™t seen anything that contradicts it. Perhaps you are the first to try it?

Hi Greg,

Yes, I do believe we are the first to do this q_autotune on a tilt-rotor platform. Today Iā€™ll be running the YAW tuning after having repaired the nimbus. Weā€™re doing this testing for two reasons, 1) To improve our VTOL flight characteristics and 2) to get the devā€™s some data to analyze to further improve on the q_autotune protocol for tilt rotors. Hopefully theyā€™ll get a chance to review the logs :). Will keep you updated if you are interested.