Nimbus Tricopter VTOL

Looks like standard MPX connectors. You can find them on Banggood.

To Greg,Chad,and everyone Who follows and comments in this Nimbus VTOL thread So I’m Wishing everyone A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and after my first attempt at converting the Nimbus kit to be a VTOL and it ended badly with a fatal crash in mid Nov so i’m sure theirs a big box near my tree that Mrs Clause said to if you first don’t succeed Try again so i’m going to give this another try so all of you have a great Holiday Season and enjoy your Family and Friends. B.K

3 Likes

Today I made the last flight of the year with my Nimbus, and captured some pictures with the GitUp G3, this time with best results. Enjoy it!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Yeaar mates!

1 Like

Very nice! Thanks for sharing. Did you use Mission Planner to design the plan or another application? Can you post the mission? I am curious to see your Nimbus banking or turning radius.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

I used Mission Planner. I have on board video from the fpv camera with OSD data, and logs. I’ll share it asap.

1 Like

FYI - There is some interesting reading for FoxTech Nimbus owners in the thread below. At this point, they are still in the discovery phase.

Pixhawk 2.1 randomly reset parameters

1 Like

Hello Greg: I hope you and the family enjoyed the Holidays and now your building something and staying warm,well i ordered another MFD Nimbus Plane opened it up on Christmas morning only to find out they sent me the VTOL Kit not the Plane Kit that was supposed to come with Motors etc, I’ve sent them emails everyday but have not gotten any response so i guess i’m stuck with it and now trying to get motors that fit since my first motors do nothing but chatter since my crash in Nov and the wiring inside the nimbus is not the same and the previous set of wings do not work pnp and the new wings are wired different so far i’m starting from scratch again and so far i’m putting 2 ubec’s 3a 5v in Aux 3 for the tilt servos and one on chan 3 for the wing and vtail servo’s i tried 5-6 amp 5-6 volt ubec’s but they would not work on the pixhawk? it’s like it killed the power to the pixhawk IDK? any suggestions or idea’s Thanks

Hi Butch,

Thanks for the warm wishes! We have both sunshine and snow squalls today so it’s a good day to stay inside and build.

I am not familiar with what FoxTech has to offer for Nimbus kits. They seem to have reduced their offerings since I last looked. Try sending a forum message to Jack at “foxtech” or or contact support1@foxtechfpv.com and see if you get a reply.

You can still get a Nimbus or Nimbus VTOL directly from MyFlyDream.

I would start by getting the tail servos to work on the fuselage and leave off the wings. Make sure that you have a BEC plugged into a spare AUX channel to power the servos. You may also need to activate the safety button depending upon your setup.

Good luck!

Hi Greg: thanks but i purchased the kit from My Fly Dream they are the company i can’t get a hold of to try to at least send me the missing motors, but on another note what kind of bec do you use if any? Thanks B.K

Butch,

For the Pixhawk 1 rail power (MAIN and AUX), I use a 5v BEC with a 5.7v zener diode for backup power if the Power Module fails. I use these $5 Turnigy 5A (8-26v) SBECs that can jumper between 5v and 6v. So the Pixhawk 1 rail gets 5v and the wing SBECs are set to 6v.

Cheers!

Hi Greg: Thank You, I have these exact Turnigy 3a- 5v Ubec and The Turnigy 8to26v input and5a 5-6v SBEC output, also i made a few Zener diodes and 3 rec 5.7 diodes i got from HK for Rx brown outs so where and how do you install these do you just put them in a empty aux slot and the other in a empty slot 3 or 7 Main out put or does it matter? and where do you place the diode? on the aux side or main side? Thanks B.K

Hey Greg i forgot to ask if you also use a Power Module going to the Pix Thanks B.K

Butch,

In the APM Wiki, there is a section called, Powering the Pixhawk. Going down that page is a sub-section called, " Powering/backup off the servo rail". I use 5.6v zener diodes since I had a bunch of them. Any unused MAIN or AUX slot can be used for the 5v BEC and zener diode.

On my better APM aircraft, I use the MAUCH Power Monitor (a.k.a. Power Module) distributed from Craft & Theory in the U.S. They have many new products now for commercial use and the R/C hobbyist. I used the choices below on my Nimbus and Freeman VTOLs on Pixhawk 1s. (a.k.a. Pixhawk v2.4.8) The Mauch unit comes calibrated with numbers to enter into Mission Planner and use a hall-effect current sensor for accurate readings.

Product Total
Mauch 073: HS-100-LV × 1 $25.30
Mauch 082: 2-6S BEC / 5.35V / DF13-4P × 1 $17.40
Subtotal: $42.70

Hello dear forum users! I studied your topic with great interest. Thanks to you, I was able to collect, configure and fly around the Nimbus. I managed to complete several automatic missions. Nimbus flies great! Thank you all so much! There is one very important point that can significantly increase flight performance. How to make the rear rotor stop longitudinally in the tail boom during a mission? There is a suggestion to use a servo drive and mechanically stop the rotor from self-unwinding when the minimum airspeed is reached. I tried to engage the flap channel, but to no avail. What do you think about it?
And sorry for my French))

Hi Greg: Thank You Sir for the suggestions and i just finished ordering thru Craft and Theory these 2 systems i’ve never used these before so it should be interesting setting them up and since ,My Fly Dream will not answer my emails to get the motors they didn’t send because they sent me a VTOL Plane Kit and not the ARF Nimbus Plane, I ordered 2 sunny sky 520kv motors and also the V2 tilting system from fox tech everything should be here next week. Thanks again.B.K

Hi Aleksandr,

Congratulations on your Nimbus success! Your English is great so don’t worry.

Why do you think that stopping the rear prop in line with the tail boom results in “significantly increase flight performance”? Do you have numbers to support this claim?

Cheers!

Hi Greg. Most likely there was a wrong translation. I mean, that creates airflow resistance in horizontal flight during the rotation of the tail rotor.
Thanks.

Nice video! You have snow like us in winter.

For your statement above, I have not heard of anyone trying to stop the rear prop from turning. It may depend upon the ESC chosen for the motor. You could simply enable the brake function, if available. My point from the previous post was more about the ending position of the rear prop; either in-line or across the tail boom. I have not seen any flight duration numbers for various prop positions.

In any event, I do not feel that there is significant loss of flight duration from the rear prop. On my Nimbus VTOL, I do not recall the rear prop turning during forward flight. Perhaps someone else will comment.

Cheers!