Newbie: Nova Aperture setup problems

I explained how to determine the Firmware Version using APM Planner in a previous post.

Hi Dave…

Sorry. I overlooked part of your post.

The following information is available without the battery in the copter so the power is from the USB port of the laptop.

At top right it displays MAV 001, COM7 and 115200 baud with the cable showing Connect (Green plug at the top right)

The Messages tab reads as follows:

[MAV 001:1] APM:Copter V3.3.2 (7f16e4d6)
[MAV 001:1] PX4: 34e1d543 NuttX: 7c5ef883
[MAV 001:1] Frame: HEXA
[MAV 001:1] PX4v2 0028001C 31345117 36383835
[MAV 001:1] PreArm: Throttle below Failsafe

Not sure why APM Planner 2 doesn’t show the Google Satellite - it shows “X tiles to load” where X is a number greater than zero. That said, Bing Satellite does properly display my target location.

I trust that this information is complete and useful but am happy to seek further information if required.

Again, thanks for your help.

Marty

I may be making progress, as I appear to have paired with APM Planner 2 and created a mission!

The following is the .txt file created:

QGC WPL 110

0 1 3 16 0 5 0 0 51.6378702803229146 0.018024444580078125 0 1

1 0 3 16 0 5 0 0 51.6377504247559784 0.0175362825393676758 20 1

2 0 3 16 0 5 0 0 51.6382365037036948 0.0171124935150146484 50 1

3 0 3 16 0 5 0 0 51.637414161613286 0.0139796733856201172 50 1

4 0 3 16 0 5 0 0 51.6359692005255368 0.0149774551391601562 50 1

5 0 3 16 0 5 0 0 51.6376338982066514 0.0202775001525878906 50 1

6 0 3 16 0 5 0 0 51.6382831137400018 0.0198912620544433594 50 1

7 0 3 16 0 5 0 0 51.6378436457798671 0.0180029869079589844 0 1

From this you may be able to pull it into APM Planner 2 and, if that is the case, you should see a very obvious and simple test flight over Chingford Plains.

At this stage, I’m unsure how to instruct the software to perform an RTL so the final leg is to return the copter more or less to its starting position, descending to zero height as it does do. If that doesn’t look right I think that I can override this on the RC forcing the RTL.

Well it’s running Arducopter 3.3.2 which was current in December 2015. Mission Planner should still work.

I am optimistic that IdeaFly technicians, who are now aware of the issues that I’ve raised, Will connect the Storm 800/Nova Aperture to both Mission Planner and APM Planner 2 and release any necessary firmware upgrade and keep Hobby King and others in the loop, as it must surely impact sales and reputation in a negative way if a copter with a flight controller apparently isn’t talking to top flight control software. Fingers firmly crossed.

Be aware that if you upgrade the firmware (missionplanner will likely ask to), that the parameters from fw3.3.2 will not be compatible. So don’t upgrade yet: get familiar with everything first, do some flying, have some fun, and then decide.

Thanks, James.

The weather is set fair for at least some of tomorrow so I may well head out to do that test flight. Two more dumb questions…

Assuming that I’ve uploaded the flight to the flight controller (I have) am I correct in thinking that once I’ve armed and launched the copter the flight controller will automatically fly the mission?

When the mission has completed does it remain in the flight controller (and thus go again if I relaunch) or does the flight controller treat the mission as complete and ditch it until I re upload it?

Regards,

Marty

the mission can be repeated as many times as you like! It’s stored until replaced.
For the mission to run, the copter needs to be put into auto mode after you arm, then you just raise the throttle to midpoint and away it goes. http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/auto-mode.html
I recommend getting to know the copter in alt hold or pos hold mode before setting it loose in auto mode, but if you don’t want to do that, just make sure you load a very small auto mission first, to make sure everything is working ok.

Thanks James. Makes sense.

Another minor puzzlement…

The copter is supplied with the Quanum i8 RC, which is apparently purpose-built for the job. The RC has no decals with it but I’ve looked at the item which is sold separately by Hobby King and noticed that on a picture of the decals there is one marked “AUTO”.

Sadly, I can find no reference to auto either in the Quanum or IdeaFly manuals shipped with the product and, so far, I haven’t found anything online.

If anyone can give me a steer on this I will be most grateful.

Regards,

Martyn

You’ll need to program in auto as one of the flight modes probably.APM Planner shuld be able to do that under initial install.

Thanks Jagger. That sounds like I may be able to replace, say, Super Simple mode with Auto in the APM Planner 2 Configuration. I’ll examine that once I’m back at my PC.

Yes, exactly that. Stick to just having three modes. I’d suggest poshold, auto, and rtl. That way, with auto in the centre position, flicking up will cause the copter to hold position (unless you command it), and flicking down brings it home.

Making progress…

The Quanum i8, on channel 5, has a 6 position knob which I’ve configured as follows:

1. Stabilize
  2. Alt. Hold
  3. Pos. Hold
  4. Auto
  5. Circle
  6. RTL

All are default except 4. Auto which I’ve set up myself. As I understand it this will enable me to fly manually in modes 1 thru 3 and sen the copter on its mission on position 4. If I start off at position 4 then the copter will start its mission from the ground when I raise the throttle to the mid point

If my logic is correct, the mission could take the copter out of RC range so I need to consider more options (which I find that I can enable, configure and disable).

After being unable to receive a signal from the RC for n seconds (where I can control n) set the copter to RTL. Alternatively, if there is ample battery, allow the mission to continue. Any thoughts?

I am using a Turnigy MultiStar 16000mAh,6S battery. Battery failsafe is enabled. I can set both battery failsafe voltage and failsafe mAh to initiate RTL. Please can you recommend settings for these two parameters? Clearly a mission could meander or could go out along a single heading. Assuming the latter the failsafes must be set at the mid point of battery drain to ensure RTL. These are the numbers that I am seeking.

Thank you again - I am beginning to get the hang of this.

Welcome to a long journey of discovery!
With batteries, they tend to discharge fairly linearly between 4.2 and 3.2 volts. Under 3.2V batteries seem to vary. Some will drop off quickly, others remain linear down to 3V or even lower. Start conservative, as your battery will take a few charge cycles to really hit its straps (and so will you). Remember that the voltage ‘sags’ under load. I’d suggest just flying close by, and seeing how long/far you can fly with a 3.2V battery failsafe and repeat a few times. Then do an auto mission for half that distance and see what the voltage is as it completes (but before the battery bounces bag from sagging).

If you want the Mission to continue beyond RC control range (and GCS range if running) you will need to set these parameters to "Continue with mission in Auto mode"
FS_THR_ENABLE (FS_GCS_ENABLE)
You must have good confidence in your craft. You can set a Fence FS beyond the mission range just in case!

Flying beyond visual line of sight isn’t legal in most places, so be sure to check with local authorities before doing that kind of thing.

The Multisags are well known for erm,sagging.I use a couple of 20,000mAh 6S packs (and several other sizes) and you have to be willing to ignore the voltage warnings if you want to squeeze the full quota out of them.They recover .4 or .5 of a volt on landing and can be taken down to 3.0v per cell in flight.You have to to see the full capacity.The Turnigy Graphenes on the other hand hold voltage high until they don’t.You’ll get the full capacity out easily with a higher voltage but they will fall off the cliff if you push them.Two different types of battery with completely different behaviour.The lower voltage of the Multistars leads to less lift due to that voltage drop (revs per volt remember) but I’ve never had one let me down in the air.They just get a a bit scary sometimes.I use the Graphenes where possible now.

Again, thank you all.

Try setting your battery failsafe at 20 volts and see how much capacity you can take out.That’s just over 3.3v per cell and safe (as long as you land it fairly quickly…Adjust it from there,probably downwards a bit,as you get comfortable with the feel of the Multistars.I think you’d be safe flying down to 18v but that’s for you to decide as you get comfortable with risk taking.It will feel sluggish and underpowered toward the end of a flight at those levels.

The thing about that failsafe is distance from home.You would have to adjust that value to give you enough beans to return home from a far distance.You’ll need to get acquainted with how fast it flies and how much juice it uses (all copters are different).Lots of practice makes a difference but I always start my copters off close at hand even when I send them on a mission.It will be nothing spectacular.A take off and some waypoints with altitude differences.Several 10 seocnd waits at waypoints for me to gather my wits.An RTL.I’ll repeat it three or four times to make sure everything is functioning as expected.Then I’ll check it over for loose bits.

Trust me.Even though you have a larger than average frame it will still look pretty small at 500 metres.And it will be hard to detemine which way it’s pointing at that sort of distance.Start close and push the limits later.Don’t be one of those folk asking the question “why didn’t my drone come back?” :grinning:

I nearly bought one of those Apertures from the Scratch and Dent tab but it had a motor out and spares could be hard to find.And I’ve got over a dozen copters and really,really need more.