New SDP33 Airspeed Sensor and Ardpuplane

Wow, never saw a log like that. Normally even on the most calm day there is 2-3 m/s wind. But here the wind is almost ZERO :smiley:

And additional, we had 35 degrees celcius!

Do you know if/what version of quadplane supports this sensor and dual-airspeed sensors?

Thanks in advance.

You mean arduplane? Quadplane is a feature of that.

see here: https://github.com/ArduPilot/ardupilot/blob/plane3.9/ArduPlane/release-notes.txt

Thanks. I knew it was a feature of arduplane, but didnā€™t know if all the tweaks in a beta were effective for all features of that code chain. Looks like it is and looks like it became an official released version in April!

Thanks for the help - itā€™s much appreciated.

@WickedShell is there any plan to add tube length as a parameter to make this more accurate?

Like we discussed at interdrone you currently prefer the DLVR sensor? Where can I procure that? a google search isnā€™t giving me anything.

@jace26 It should be done, but I canā€™t say that itā€™s high on my list at all.

The sensor Iā€™ve been using recently is the DLVR-L05D

1 Like

Iā€™ll see if I can convince my guys to pick this up.

did yā€™all make your own board for this chip, or how do you have it wired up? Are you using it SPI or IC2? Most of the airspeed sensors we have laying around have a little board with some circuitry, but the data sheet for this seems to only require a pull up resistor for ic2.

For the DLVR we made our own board. The pull ups are already done for you on the autopilot side, we just added a small decoupling cap to the power pins. Not sure if that was actually required honestly, it was just added as an easy/best practice. I do have some with just wires soldered on that I used for desk testing and I havenā€™t noticed any problems with that.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, use I2C. And if you are using a pressure range other then 5"H2O the driver will need some changes (I can make them if you need that change/want to fly at higher airspeeds then a 5" sensor allows).

Thanks for the awesome info. We are currently using ic2 so plan to stick to that.
I am not familiar at all with the limitations of a 5" sensor, can you explain or point me to where I can learn about this? We are currently never going above 30m/s, rarely going above 27m/s and mostly stick to sub 23m/s speeds.

A 5" H2O sensor will max out at ~49 m/s (assuming you are using the default ARSPD_RATIO). They sell higher pressure devices as well, but the advantage of smaller range is an increase in resolution. There is an easy path to enable other pressures in the driver (we just need to make it respect _PSI_RANGE), itā€™s just that itā€™s currently assumed/hardcoded to 5".

copy all, thanks for sharing your expertise.

What is the name of this log analysis software?It looks great!

Hi is this sensor still available? How can I buy it?

Hey! Itā€™s not a log anaysis software, itā€™s kind of GCS and name is APM Planner.
Weā€™re thinking that it has a best Log Analysis Screen of all open source ground control systems.

Hi, you can buy it from https://store-drotek.com/848-1028-sdp3x-airspeed-sensor-kit-sdp33.html#/160-sensor-without_pitot_tube

1 Like