new FFT Filter setup and review web tool

Hi Aleksandr,
I believe you would set the FREQ to the no-load ICE frequency, and the FREQ and BW with scale up as the RPM increases.
You can use whatever bandwidth works best, provided it’s not so wide it affects the low “control” frequencies or causes lag in attitude control. This is one of the great aspects of the Filter Review Tool - you can find and set exactly what is required to be effective.

I would trust the results of the filter tool - it’s perfectly OK to deviate from the BW = 1/2 FREQ rule.

2 Likes

Thank you for the quick and accurate response! I use a very stable aircraft for beginners, the developers of this aircraft have made it so that if you make mistakes in controlling the aircraft, it will fly right if you remove your hands from the RC transmitter.

In the documentation of the ardupilot it is written that low-pass filters create a large phase delay, but the enabling of the Harmonic Notch Filters allow targeting the noise generated by the motors.

A low-pass filter is more effective in an area where ICE is idling, but this mode of operation is used on the ground, and in flight, ICE speeds are used above average and up to maximum values, this is what I call the work area. For the work area, I think the use of Harmonic Notch Filters is relevant

As I saw from the graphs of the tool, the INS_HNTCH_BW parameter does not have much effect on the phase delay. However, I think that the great inertia of my beginner aircraft will not be able to sense this phase delay, because electrical processes are faster than mechanical processes

I hope that the real flights of my aircraft and the analysis of the recording of lOG files will answer all questions and doubts.

In working with the tool, the video of Andrew Tridgell helped me Welcome and Systems Update Andrew Tridgell - YouTube Timestamp 40:34

1 Like

I have pushed some updates to better deal with gaps in logging over the past few days. I would only expect issues with raw sensor logging, you might now see gaps in the spectogram like this:

If you have lots then the logging is not keeping up, you could try increasing your log buffer size, or going back to batch logging.

2 Likes

Excellent tool! Is there a way to operate it offline (w/o internet connection)?

1 Like

No sorry. You can host it locally but it still needs to grab the packages, you could download them locally and point it to them rather than the online version, but it would be a little involved.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, can you tell me maybe the packages involved? I will try to do it.

1 Like

You need plotly, math and require, there included here:

And fft which is included here:

You should more or less be able to download those and put in the local path.

1 Like

Seems broken this morning

2 Likes

I have been pushing changes, it should still work, it just needs that hard reload. Shift + F5 on windows (chrome).

3 Likes

Can you test it with filters on both IMU 1 and 2, ESC telemetry, one notch per engine? That configuration was causing me problems last week.

1 Like

That should work, can you explain what you were trying exactly? A example log and configuration would help me debug.

1 Like

@Janno will post a github issue with some more details on monday.

2 Likes

Control+Shift+R worked to reload the page completely - no amount of reboots or anything else helped.

2 Likes

Sorry its so annoying, its because were not really deploying properly which in turn is because I don’t really know what I’m doing with web development. If we were to deploy with a tool it would do “cache busting” for us by changing the file names so browsers are forced to grab the latest version.

2 Likes

Pete you have done an excellent job,brilliant in fact but you are so honest and only want the best thank you for this amazing tool

Thank you for this tool!!

1 Like

Hello friends!
Please help with setting up the filters. The more I try to configure them, the worse it gets. Most likely, I misunderstand the configuration methodology. I’m trying to make the postfilter and estimation filtr as similar as possible… This is probably wrong. My flight file:

Please help set up, and give small comments on what needed to be done. This will help me in the future when setting up. In advance, thank you very much! Here’s my configuration: frame Tarot 690, props 13’', motors 4215 650 kV, CubeOrange+, Here4, power 6s, esc FLYCOLOR RAPTOR5 45A BLHeli-32 3-6S
RPM is about 4200 when my hexa takes off.

1 Like

Try this, it should be OK:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your assistance! I will analyze these settings and try to understand what I did wrong. Thanks again!

There was not much wrong, from what I remember you had too many harmonics and other options selected.
When using multi-source we set the bandwidth quite narrow.
There could be other problems with the copter that I didnt look into - I had a quick check for vibrations and roughly equal RPM of all motors, but not much else. You might need to start your own thread detailing the problems you see.

1 Like