New 180m long range LiDAR for drones/UAV/copter precision landing - Benewake TF03

Hi, Ardupilot friends, hope this info helps you for your drones/UAV/copters

The Benewake new long range LiDAR TF03 is released for drones/UAV/copters Precision Landing, Anti-collision, Altitude Holding, Terrain Following, etc.

The TF03 is compatible with Ardupilot, and works with IRLOCK precision landing system, welcome to test it and add your questions, comments here : )

TF03 datasheet:
TF03 Datasheet V0.4 EN.pdf (997.0 KB)

TF03 info on Ardupilot partner IRLOCK store:

3 Likes

Does it work well on snow day?

Yes, TF03 performs normally during snowy days. If the laser beam hits the snowflake, there may be wrong data, but the TF03 supports 1000Hz high detection frequency, so there are sufficient data to get rid of this wrong data to make sure the TF03 works without problem.

1 Like

I purchased a TF03 for several days. At first I don’t know how to integrate it with my Pixhawk.
But when I read manual carefully, and compared with TF02 manual. I found the frame headers are same, starting with 0x59 0x59. So I apply the protocol of TF02 to TF03. Fortunately, it gave me distance readings.

The reading looks like more stable and accurate than TF02, with a further detection range.

1 Like

Will it detect power lines at 180 m?

1 Like

Thank you for the question. It will be a little hard for TF03 to detect slim objects like power line because TF03 is single point LiDAR. The light spot size in 150m is 150cm*42cm, if the spot shot directly to the power line, then TF03 can detect it, if the spot is not on the power line, it will miss it. May be CE30-D solid state LiDAR with FOV 60X4degree can be a better choice, but its range is 30m. : )

Hi to all.
What is the real range of lidar TF03 outside?

@MarcinRC TF03-180 working outdoor the range is 0.1m-130m@90% reflectivity&100Klux
0.1m-50m@10% reflectivity&100Klux . You could pls check the model comparasion with details. : )

I bought a TF03 and replaced it with my Lidar lite v3. My lite v3 does not show the distance more than 17 meters outdoor. But TF03 shows the distance up to 66 meters in my very first test and I am really happy with it. Thank you so much Benewake.

1 Like

Hello ~
Benewake have upgraded TFmini and TF02 to new model TFmini-S and TF02-Pro with better technical parameters and lower cost, welcome to check the LiDAR models comparasion below:

hey, did you use the cube pixhawk?

what do you recommend for large drone? the TTL serial port or the RS485?

@yaara Hi, TTL serial port should be enough for drone application. RS485 is used more for industrial application.

Hi. No I use pixhawk 2.4.8

Hi I just checked again and my Benewake TF03 used as altimeter and it is always showing 10 cm more than real altitude. What are your measurements ? I have arducopter 3.7, Cube black, everything set as info in wiki.

Hello, if your error is constant all the time. you can configure the offset parameter for LiDAR. This parameter can be configured using TTL-USB adapter.

By default it is set to 0.