Multiwii Serial Protocol for ArduPlane control

I am writing an application that will control a fixed wing aircraft. Currently I am using Mavlink commands (SET_ATTITUDE_TARGET for ‘manual’ control and other messages for waypoints commands etc).

But I hear that Ardupilot supports MSP - does that include for RC/attitude commands? If so, is it therefore feasible to write the same codebase to be able to handle a multitude of different firmwares ie Inav as well? To be safe, assuming that we have two identical fixed wing aircraft, just that one has ArduPlane, one has Inav?

For ArduPlane you are advised to use MAVLink , it is tested and does what it should. For inav just use MSP. That way your application will be able to control both. But to do so it does need to be aware of which is which.

Where have you heard that MSP is supported for control by ArduPlane?

I believe people see that Ardupilot supports some subsets of MSP for communication with random stuff, e.g. OSD on digital video transmitters, and tend to think that there is a general support for the entire MSP.

It’s in the docs:

https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-msp-overview.html

It doesn’t specifically say that it cannot receive MSP commands - I hoped that if it has the capability then perhaps it may be able to receive and respond to them.

The documentation is very clear, no configuration nor control commands are supported.