MSP protocol support

very good well done your man of many talents :+1:

I actually got this working last night on the Kakute F7.

These parameters is what I needed

Configuration

To enable MSP OSD, set the following parameters (using SERIAL port X represented by the UART as the port to attach to the DJI Air unit using both TX and RX lines):

· OSD_TYPE = 3

· SERIAL2_PROTOCOL = 33

· MSP_OPTIONS = 0 (polling mode)

From <https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-msp-osd-overview.html>

In honestly, the documentation is a little skewed because there are 2 ports for this solution this one, and the MSP to mavlink with the Nano Arduino board… between the 2, I was mixing up the instruction. I went back and started from scratch and was successful!

Thank you!

with regards,

Jude Garcia

2 Likes

How do I find the Pixhawk4 binary please?
Kind Regards, Perry

Hi, from official ardupilot download site here

Alex, thanks for that link, much appreciated. I have installed ArduCopter 4.1.0-FIRMWARE_VERSION_TYPE_DEV onto my Pixhawk 4 but don’t see the OSD_TYPE parameter. Do you have any ideas? I Have wired up the telemetry from the DJI air unit to telemetry 2 port RX & TX. I have also enabled the OSD option in the goggles but I still don’t see anything on screen.
Kind Regards, Perry

Hi Alex,

Many thanks for the fantastic work you are doing with Ardupilot for the DJI FPV system, this prompted me to purchase the DJI equipment.

To test it I’m using a Multirotor quad having a Holybro Pix32 Pixhawk (PX4) 2.4.6 FC

(Similar / same as HKpilot32)

I’ve never been able to get the terminal NSH command to connect to find out if it has 2mb flash, however this FC is suggested as having 2mb flash here:

Previously I was using the Multirotor for sometime running Arducopter 3.6.2

For the DJI system test I’ve just updated to the latest master for Pixhawk 1

Now I see no USB com port even after running Impulse RC driver fixer.

However Mavlink still works OK

On mavlink connect to MP I see this message:

Pixhawk1 00400046 35365118 37353630
ChibiOS: 331fe75d
ArduCopter V4.1.0-dev (11b3c622)

I’ve updated the following parameters OK:

SERIAL2_PROTOCOL = 33
MSP_OPTIONS = 0

However the OSD_TYPE parameter is not present in the full parameter list.

Is there any chance you could assist ?

I guess that I should try the Pixhawk 1 1M master, however I’m unclear how to install this without a working USB com port.

Many thanks indeed. Best Regards Chris

Hi Perry,
afraid you need to build the arducopter yourself adn add the --osd option to waf configure, the build server is not adding that option as default

Alex

If you lost USB by flashing the 2MB version it could be that it’s affected by the 1MB bug or that the change in the USB id somehow made your PC freak out:-)

Should the USB never come back you’ll have to flash your board by forcing DFU mode, instructions here and after that as you already said go for the Pixhawk1M version.

There might be an issue with the build server not enabling MSP OSD by default, I’ll report that.
In the mean time you’ll have to build the sources yourself and add --osd to the waf configure step

good luck :slight_smile:

Alex

Alex,

Thanks heaps once again for your work that you’ve done on this project and being an active member on this forum. I will build the firmware myself (for the fist time ever) and give that a go.

Kind Regards,

Perry

Hi Alex,

Many thanks indeed for your useful reply.

The Multirotor was flying yesterday morning with no issues with ChibiOS and ArduCopter 3.6.2 using the DJI air unit transmitting video to the goggles and the DJI remote controller for control of the craft. Obviously without custom OSD visible.

USB port was working as Com 11.

After flashing to the latest master the com port has disappeared and the DJI remote controller only connects briefly to the craft then is disconnected with a TX failsafe error. Along with the OSD_TYPE parameter being missing.

I’ve tried to boot into DFU mode by powering on with the physical DFU button (which the Holybro Pixhawk has) pressed. I just get a triple beep and still no Com port visible by latest versions MP, QGC or iNav configurator. Nothing found by Impulse RC driver fixer.

Also I’ve tried to boot with the SD card removed with the same result as above. This tried also with the DFU button pressed at power up. Along with trying several different USB cables.

The Windows 8.1Pro laptop I’m using works fine configuring my 4 other drones but does require the Impulse RC driver fixer sometimes when swopping from one drone to another.

I’ve downloaded dfu-util-0.9-win64 and see the arducopter.apj file, and I have the Pixhawk1-1M_bl.bin file, but as an inexperienced user I have no idea how to install without my PC seeing at least DFU on a com port.

As an example of my inexperience I have no idea what the ‘waf configure step’ you write of is.

Please excuse my ignorance but is there a way to flash a bootloader using the Mavlink / sik radio system which still appears to be working ok ?

Look forward to hearing from you, Best Regards Chris

Chris,

waf configure is talking about building the firmware yourself. I am halfway through that process and it’s not all that easy. I will let you know how I go and if it fixes our issue (no OSD_TYPE parameter). I have also requested on GitHub that the OSD option is added as standard.

Kind Reagrds,

Perry

Alex,

Is this the syntax that I need;

./waf configure --board CubeBlack --osd

Kind Regards,

Perry

yes, that’s it, you’re right!

Alex,

Thanks for that. I have just finished my first build and I will check it tomorrow.

Kind Regards,

Perry

Alex,

I would like to extend my gratitude for your sterling work on this code and for your much appreciated support in implementing the same.

Further to my previous post I would like to relate the following and seek a little further advice:

The RX failsafe the Pixhawk FC was showing was factual, it transpires that my brand new costly DJI FPV remote controller was in the process of failing terminally. Now it is continually requesting recalibration which, when implemented fails every time. It’s in the process of being returned to DJI.

Perry Baker has kindly explained to me that the ‘no OSD_TYPE parameter’ issue exhibited by the latest master requires us to compile our own master for our specific FC for now.

As I don’t yet feel competent to do this I’d like to ask if you think your file of June 30th from this link would be OK for a Pixhawk 1 having the 1Mb issue ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1O34Bxi-XIjtSI9cM5zln6vgW9Pj7PHDi/view?usp=sharing

If so then this leaves me with the issue of how to flash this without a functional com port.

The multirotor is flying just fine now having reverted to the original Futaba RX/TX, the DJI system just being used for a video feed.

I’ve still not figured a way to unfreeze the com port or boot into DFU mode even reading the link you kindly related. This is just my third post on the forum, consequently may I ask if there is a more appropriate place, other than this thread, where I could seek assistance with this issue ?

In particular I’d like to find out if there is a way to flash a bootloader using the Mavlink / sik radio system which it still working ok. My internet searches have not turned up anything I can comprehend.

Any help or pointers you can relate would be heartily appreciated.

Best Regards, Chris

Perry,

Thanks for your pointer and good luck testing your build.

Best Regards, Chris

Chris. I can built latest master for you but really have no magic way of resurrecting a dead usb port :frowning:
You should probably open a thread of your own asking for help here on discuss.

Alex

Alex,

Many thanks for your assistance with both of these issues. It would be appreciated if you could build a master for the Pixhawk 1 with the 1Mb issue. Thanks in advance for your time doing this.

All best Chris

Hi Chris, this is the Pixhawk1-1M firmware as of today’s master built with the OSD option enabled,

cheers,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Many thanks indeed for compiling this, would I be correct in assuming that no issues would occur if one were to flash this Pixhawk1-1M firmware to a Pixhawk 1 that does not have the 1Mb ‘bug’ ?

Best Regards, Chris