HKPilot32 not listed under HW

I can not find this listed under HW for Ardupilot Plane. I flashed with version 4.05 and it seems ok. Can somebody confirm that this can be used for Plane. https://docs.px4.io/v1.9.0/en/flight_controller/HKPilot32.html

The HKpilot32 is a pixhawk clone that’s probably a lot better quality than the current proliferation of “pixhawk 2.4.8” clones. It’s a bit of shame we can’t get them anymore.

1 Like

I have one of those and it has 1Mb flash. So with current Stable I have to use the Pixhawk1-1M firmware. If I flash another version for Pixhawk (Pixhawk1, fmuv3) it will produce errors and randomly disconnect from USB.

The HKPilot32 was one of the 1st Clones of the 2.4.6 Reference design. I don’t know how many vehicles I have put the one I have in and it’s still kicking. It has to run “Minimize Features” now though.

This is the original Holybro Pix32 “Pixhawk”. The current version now has 2MB flash. You can get it from Getfpv or Banggood.

All Pixhawk variants have 2Mb flash now and have for a few years. Well, who knows about the RadioLink stuff it’s sketchy.

Hi Dave, I dont know how to check the 1 or 2Mb flash, but I hope my version have 2Mb. From MP it automatic selected PX4 fmvu2 if I remember correct. I bought this many years ago from HobbyKing. Is this FC ok to use for Plane? https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hkpilot32-autonomous-vehicle-32bit-control-set-w-power-module.html?___store=en_us

Hi Jose Rene, This HKPilot32 FC is from HobbyKing, might be similar but its not from Holybro. :slight_smile:

Is the HK Product information wrong? It says 2Mb Flash Memory :slight_smile:

Depends on when it was produced. Connect to QGroundControl. Select the Firmware tab and then reconnect the FC as Prompted. What does it say fir memory?

Tnx, QGroundcontrol, firmware tab, does not say anything about Flash Memory, It says Found device PX4 FMU V2. This is because I flashed fmuv2 I guess?
If I could connect the StmCubeProgrammer it will show, at least it showed the memory size for a Matek F405-STD. I dont know how to read this pixhawk with StmCubeProgrammer . Anyway, I will trust whats written in the data sheet from HK, 2Mb flash. :slight_smile:

• Main System-on-Chip: STM32F427
    • CPU: 32-bit STM32F427 CortexÂŽ M4 core with FPU
    • RAM: 168 MHz/256 KB
    • Flash: 2 MB
  • Failsafe System-on-Chip: STM32F103
  • Sensors:
    • ST Micro L3GD20 3-axis 16-bit gyroscope
    • ST Micro LSM303D 3-axis 14-bit accelerometer / magnetometer
    • InvensenseÂŽ MPU 6000 3-axis accelerometer/gyroscope
    • MEAS MS5611 barometer
      Why is HKPilot32 not listed under HW?

Yes it does. Here is a 1Mb HK32 Pixhawk:
Flash 1Mb

And here is a 2Mb Pixhawk:
Flash 2Mb

Update QGC.

Dave, I am not familiar with QGC, just downloaded the installer for windows from QGroundControl.com and tested now. So if I have a version to be updated I dont know where to get this. The help, about did not say what version I run. I get an error with some com port so it did not flash. I would prefer a question upfront flashing anyway :slight_smile:

Hi Dave, I changed around on comports, and then it worked to flash. Yes, I believe my HKPilot32 is with 2Mb Flash as written from HK. QGC Flash Ardupilot Copter fmuv2
So I believe HKPilot32 could be listed as HW to use with ArduPilot :slight_smile:
Regards Espen

You can use a HK32 Pixhawk with 1Mb with Ardupilot.There is nothing special about the HK32 it’s just a “Pixhawk” and has been supported since inception.

Sure, but you cannot include all Ardupilot features in the 1Mb ver. :upside_down_face:
Anyway, I believe the reason HK board is not listed goes years back and had to do with sponsor money.
I dont think its fair against the product. If you compare this board with e.g. mRo Pixhawk’s specification you see that they are about similar with HKPilot32.

So I believe HKPilot32 could be listed as Open HW to use with ArduPilot :slight_smile:

I really don’t get your point. This Flight Controller has been supported, like many other generic Pixhawks, since it was produced. I have had one since 2014 and it has been in several Planes and Multirotors running Ardupilot. There is nothing special about it and it’s always been supported. It doesn’t need to be listed, everyone knows it’s supported. And HobbyKing has discontinued it anyway as has Mro.

I have also had this for many years, no problems. You say “everyone knows it’s supported” I did not know this, but if it had been listed I would. Why is mRo listed? My point is that the Open HW listing could be improved for the users, hope you got my point. mRo Pixhawk is also discontinued, and who would pay $289 :slight_smile:
Do you know how to change the secondary external compass to primary, or whats needed to clear this message?

In Missionplanner I dont get this message :slight_smile:

Wait for QGC to fix the bug, or try one of their daily builds

That’s because there is no COMPASS_PRIMARY parameter in Ardupilot so QGC errors looking for a parameter that doesn’t exist. Perhaps if you used the daily build of QGC this would be fixed. Or ignore it.