MP and SITL operation

I hear what you are saying. In order to wipe I have to first start MP, then click the “simulation” option at the top of the screen,. This open the simulation screen and now you can see the wipe box. Then check the box, then close MP then open MP again. in order to see the wipe box.,then I have to click the box, then close MP and restart it.

Geeee. Who thought of this??? Why not just have a “reset to factory parameters button” period.

This is not easy software to learn.

Holy shit did you overcomplicate that.

If you need the complete handhold:
Stop any running simulation (which is most easily done by exiting the app).
Open Mission Planner.
Click Simulation.
Click Wipe.
Start the simulation.

Or, maybe in a single phrase: the “Wipe” function loads a fresh (default) simulation upon starting SITL.

AND…it’s even documented here:
Mission Planner Simulation — Mission Planner documentation (ardupilot.org)

There is ALSO a reset to defaults button on the parameter page under configuration. I prefer the “Wipe” option when using SITL.

This video might help quite a bit:

2 Likes

There is almost exactly that as I have explained.
What do we have here?
Reset

Before replying to a post meant to help you read what was posted and take the advise.

I am a college math and science tutor. When I have a student that is struggling with the concept of the “double integration from -10 to 30 of the error function” I smile and say,“it is easy when you know how to do it”. This is where I am.

MP SITL has a lot of options to understand. Most every video and explanation assumes that I already know a lot of the subject. This is not necessarily the case. Frankly, the SITL is frustrating. In fact, I have read several posts from people that have stated that they wee so frustrated with some of the Ardupilot concepts that they just threw up their hands and dumped the entire project. I have no intention of doing this so I will just continue to ask dumb questions until I get results. I hope you guys understand.

I am fresh after a good nights sleep and ready to proceed with a simulation, stay tuned…

Yuri, I think this is an EXCELLENT video. I have incurred ALL of the problems that is shown in this video. I am glad the video showed the fixes also.

OK, now that I can do mission, perhaps a new thread should be started rather than continuing with this long one???

However, I will continue to ask questions. For example, i.e.

When I view all of the configuration parameters, and there are a lot of them, I assume that these are written to ArduCopter (the drone) prior to starting.

Are these the parameters that are used in the Mavlink communication?

I still do not know how the data from the Drone is sent to MP for display, i.e. how doesMP know what the altitude and heading of the drone? I know this comes from the telemetry channel normally but there must be a way sort of like how mavlink sents commands to the drone for the drone to send its status back to MP. ??

Except in advanced/niche cases, all communication between the GCS (Mission Planner) and autopilot happens on a bi-directional telemetry stream, using MAVLink as the protocol. All commands, missions, parameter changes, etc flow through that, and all status data comes back on the same link.

ArduPilot is configurable to an insane degree, hence the long list of parameters. A default set is stored onboard when firmware is initially flashed. Thereafter, they are user editable (and sometimes automatically updated), with their current values being displayed after a successful connection to GCS software. But they are saved/stored in non-volatile memory onboard.

Blockquote “it is easy when you know how to do it”
:sweat_smile: i say that quite often, too.
got a good chuckle from reading this thread. “i feel yer pain”.
in my experience, using ardupilot/MP is like decoding ancient hieroglyphs. the devs/frequent users can blaze around tweaking knobs, finding screens, sorting pixie sticks, etc like well-oiled machinery. BUT, to a beginner, this system is like jumping into a fighter jet or A360 for the 1st time and being told to “fly”. then, of course, the well-meaning help just can’t imagine how large a bountiful the question marks and unknowns are in the beginner’s mind. enter the matrix.
i started with PX4, which i thought was easier to use, but found it lacked some of the features and adjustments i wanted (and i’m a fixed wing guy). when i went to arduplane/MP, i had the overwhelming feeling of dread like being lost in a forest at night - and i had no SITL - it was all real-time real-hardware flights for me.
after time, reading (wiki and forums) , playing with settings, being cautious to explore/read/learn each subject one at-a-time (usually), i have found a lane to swim in where i am not gasping for air. i have come to realize that AP/MP have a lot of stuff to accomodate things that i don’t use/need, so i avoid that like i avoid the women’s sections in the dept stores.
patience, young padiwan. you’ll get there. :joy:

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/arming_the_motors.html

Two points - perhaps these were learned along the way…

You can’t arm in AUTO mode, you need to arm first (one way is to hold the throttle stick down and in), and THEN switch to AUTO.

Also, once armed, the drone will disarm by itself after a number of seconds if the throttle is not pushed up.

You can if you set the parameter to do so.

There is also an option to address this with the same parameter.

Watch the video linked above. I addressed both of these nuances by way of practical example.

Yep Dave - understood - I was speaking from the perspective of a person approaching the sim with little detailed knowledge.