Motors not spinning with 4in1 BlHeli_S esc and MatekH743 mini Fc

I am using a HGLRC specter 8bit 4in1 60A 2s-6s BlHeli_S compatible ESC and FC of matekH743 Mini. While Servo_BLH_auto is enabled and all ESCs are recognized, the motors won’t spin in either Mission Planner or the ESC configurator. There are slight jitters upon powering on, but no rotation. Are there specific ArduPilot parameters I need to adjust for this setup to enable motor control? Any help from the community is appreciated!.

Did you try it first without dshot?

No I tried in betaflight with bluejay firmware but for arducopter I flashed BlHeli_S and now motors are not spinning using esc configurator also. i have set MOT_PWM_TYPE=6 (DSHot600)

Sorry the problem was due to me not following the documentation properly. I missed the SERVO_BLH_MASK paramete i changed it to 15 and now the motors are spinning properly

You should flash back to Bluejay and configure properly for Bdshot.

oh, ok but I taught there was no support for bluejay as there is no parameter option for it in SERVO_DSHOT_ESC . if there is a workaround, can you pls show where and how can i do that because it would help me a lot wrt to rpm filtering.

It does not need a seperate option, set
SERVO_DSHOT_ESC = 2 (BLHeli_S) and
SERVO_BLH_BDMASK = 15 for bi-directional DShot
and you’re good

Servo_dshot_esc,2 is required. Same as configuring for _S. It’s the most common mistake after missing the bdshot assignment.

Edit-If someone reports the motors just jitter chances are this is why.

1 Like

Some info here for reference
Bluejay

Sorry but i don’t think i am able to open the link

Yea, you are right. Fixed it, try again.

Hi, I am using arducopter 4.4 and I don’t think I have a parameter for SERVO_BLH_BDMASK rather I have SERVO_BLH_MASK = 15.
And now my motors are working fine with bluejay.
but I am not able to get the telemetry right I changed the serial5_protocol = 16 for ESC telemetry but in the data tuning tab i am not able to see any changes in the Esc1_curr ,esc1_rpm for all for 4esc

Thanks now I am able to get the motors running with bluejay but I am unable to correctly get the esc telemetry. I changed serial5_protocol = 16. But i am not able to get motor RPM and current consumption correctly.

Bluejay, as well as BLHeli_S, don’t support telemetry via seperate wire, you need bi-directional DShot to get motor rpm. For bdshot to work you need the bdshot-capable firmware for your board: [4.5.1] Copter/stable/MatekH743-bdshot (mind that all Matek H743 variants use the same FW). If you don’t have a specific use-case that strictly requires 4.4 it is best to upgrade to 4.5.1.

After you’ve done that check that SERVO_BLH_POLES matches your motors number of poles. If it doesn’t match the reported rpm will be wrong.

1 Like

It’a analog current only for you. Connect the “C” pin on that ESC to the Current input pin on the FC.

Sorry for late update I flashed 4.5.1 and was able to arm the motors and it can do a takeoff but in tuning page I was only able to get ESC rpm but not current. So is there any way I can get each motor current drawn.

I have another question regarding the motor RPMs so I am using a 5500kv motor and i gave 20% throttle i was getting only 7000-8000rpm being reported (this was done in bench test). I gave the no. of motor poles as 12. so is there any way i can verify the motor RPM being reported.

No, with Bluejay ESCs it is not possible, as they only report rpm through bdshot. Maybe with EDT but unlikely on a 4in1 ESC. It is uncommon to get separated currents with 4in1 ESCs at all. The easiest way to get current for each motor is by using 4 single BLHeli_32 ESCs. So just like Dave wrote: “analog current only”.

search on google for “optical tachometer”. without knowing the exact model I can’t verify the number of poles, 7000-8000 rpm seems alright thought

You can try setting servo_dshot_esc to 4 for extended _S dhot as it’s supported in Ardupilot now but that doesn’t guarantee you will get current. I suspect not. Try it anyway.

Ok now I understand so basically, I can only use total current now.

For your reference HGLRC SPECTER 1303.5 5500KV brushless motor

Thank you for your support @Janno @dkemxr