Mission Planner Joystick Control stopped working (was working fine)

Hello guys, I have just recently encountered a strange incidence with Mission Planner 1.3.70 (build 1.3.7277.34800).

I managed to setup a Joystick (simulator controller) to override the RC Controller to control the drone via a TCP link. Managed to did it successfully over a span of few days for our bench testing.

However, it just decided to stop working one day. The Joystick setup window still recognizes the input from the “joystick”, all channels assigned properly, but it just does not pass on the signal to Mission Planner. The Radio Calibration window does not react to the “joystick” at all.

All settings remain stock, also SYSID_MYGCS = 255 (default).

Has anyone encountered this before ?

Also, upon clicking “Enable” for the joystick, no RC Override message appears :frowning:

Could you send a MissionPlanner.log (While enable joy) ? It’s in the c:\ProgramData\Mission Planner folder (the ProgramData folder is hidden)

1 Like

MissionPlanner.log (64.1 KB)

Here you go. I hope this is the correct one you’re asking for. I have just repeated the whole process.

It looks like the usb device get disconnected, broken cable or driver issue ? The VID_0B9B&PID_4012 is a Reflex RC controller.

at MissionPlanner.Joystick.Joystick.mainloop() (:0) [Joystick loop]
2020-04-02 15:08:57,081  INFO MissionPlanner.MainV2 - Interface \\?\USB#VID_0B9B&PID_4012#5&31e0fe2b&0&12#{a5dcbf10-6530-11d2-901f-00c04fb951ed}  ??t ???  (:0) [Base Thread]
2020-04-02 15:08:57,086  INFO MissionPlanner.MainV2 - Device Change 537 DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE 277701713504 (:0) [Base Thread]
2020-04-02 15:08:57,090  INFO MissionPlanner.MainV2 - Device Change 537 DBT_DEVNODES_CHANGED 0 (:0) [Base Thread]
2020-04-02 15:08:57,097 DEBUG Program - FirstChanceException in: SharpDX (:0) [Base Thread]
SharpDX.SharpDXException: HRESULT: [0x8007001E], Module: [SharpDX.DirectInput], ApiCode: [DIERR_INPUTLOST/InputLost], Message: The system cannot read from the specified device.

I think that’s when I unplug everything to disconnect.

When everything was running, I can still move the sticks and the sliders in the Joystick window still moves, but not the one in the Initial Setup - Radio Calibration.

ok, then also send the log file ends with log.1 please

Also check you comm, I see lots of bad packets…

2020-04-02 15:08:42,209  INFO MissionPlanner.MAVLinkInterface - Request stream EXTRA2 at 4 hz for 1:1 (:0) [Main Serial reader]
2020-04-02 15:08:42,456  INFO MissionPlanner.MAVLinkInterface - Mavlink Bad Packet (Len Fail) len 32 pkno 125 (:0) [Main Serial reader]
2020-04-02 15:08:42,456  INFO MissionPlanner.MAVLinkInterface - unknown packet type 199 (:0) [Main Serial reader]
2020-04-02 15:08:42,457  INFO MissionPlanner.MAVLinkInterface - mav 1-1 seqno 209 exp 207 pkts lost 2 (:0) [Main Serial reader]
2020-04-02 15:08:42,561  INFO MissionPlanner.MAVLinkInterface - Mavlink Bad Packet (crc fail) len 30 crc 11820 vs 1513 pkno 35 RC_CHANNELS_RAW (:0) [Main Serial reader]
2020-04-02 15:08:42,565  INFO MissionPlanner.MAVLinkInterface - mav 1-1 seqno 217 exp 215 pkts lost 2 (:0) [Main Serial reader]
2020-04-02 15:08:42,606  INFO MissionPlanner.MAVLinkInterface - Mavlink Bad Packet (Len Fail) len 23 pkno 158 (:0) [Main Serial reader]

I uploaded all the log.X files to this folder so you can easily access those. Also, I’ll check on the comm link too, normally I setup a separated router dedicated for this, but was using a common router just now :frowning:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lWJLOMMJJlK30fSOltYY_bPJ8Y7Sf_PC

Well, I see bad mavlink packets all over, and looks like the joystick is working.

I also noticed that you use an old version of Mission Planner with something that is definitely not Ardupilot… :smiley: Most of the parameters are looks like unknown to me…

Your MP build is definitely not 1.3.70 because since last summer MP generate 1000Kb log file chunks, not 500k.

Yeap for sure the joystick is working, as it’s detectable in the joystick screen, just that it stops overriding the RC control whenever I click “enable” now.

Also, previously it was on 1.3.70, I recently downgraded back to 1.3.65 to see if it was the new version of MP that caused the bugs (but well, didnt solve).

And you are right, this is a very custom build hahaha, anyways thank you so much for your inputs. I guess I’ll just wait for the software builders of the drone to look if they messed up something :frowning:

If you happen to have a FC around, just upload a vanilla ArduCopter and test it, you can rule out MP error.

1 Like

hi, can you solve your problem? I had this too. but i run mission planner on linux and it recognize joystick in joystick setup page but in radio calibration stick does not work.

Hi everyone,

New to the discourse, but have been learning Ardupilot the past month or so to use with our vehicles. I’m having the same issue, so wanted to revive this thread. Has anyone found a fix?

I ran a radio calibration last night - all joystick inputs were detected and I was able to calibrate. For some reason, now the roll, stick, and yaw joystick inputs are not working to calibrate. All other RC inputs are working and I’m able to set the limits. Running MP 1.3.80 build 1.3.8479.20… if that helps at all.

Actually, I read another thread and found that comparing params, writing params, then refreshing params fixed the issue of not seeing Roll, Pitch, & Yaw RC inputs in Mission Planner’s Radio Calibration.

If anyone is still stuggling - try that. Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Joe

1 Like

Another observation with this - the same problem occurs when the Throttle signal is reversed i.e. the Reverse button is checked - that’s when the roll, pitch, and yaw inputs stop responding to input, at least via the sliders in radio calibration.

Hi,

after lot of troubleshooting under linux for a similar problem, I found the following:

./waf configure --board sitl --sitl-osd --enable-sfml --enable-sfml-joystick

is necessary if You need joystick support under linux, when You build arducopter.
In other words, I think there is an issue , at least in ardupilot documentation, about this topic, because joystick support seems to be NOT enabled by default, at least under linux, so it is not possibile to download binary sitl with joystick support under linux, you musr build (compile) it.
MissionPlanner or GCSs are not necessary for handling joysticks in SITL , native SITL joystick support is sufficient, to play with SITL standalone on a PC, if it works.
I did not finish tests about, a few differences exist between MS-Windows and Linux behaviour of joystick, and I am investigating on them.

Alfredo

1 Like

To be more technical,
I guess there is a problem in #define SFML GRAPHICS priorities allocation, while configuring sitl build.
Problem is “hidden” inside python scripts for cxx check.

–enable-osd should not be necessary.
I found, anyway, that under both MS-windows or Linux, OSD does not appear if You do not connect a GCS to arducopter,
may be the socket listening code precedes OSD rendering code…

Alfredo