Mission Planner debug/status window?

Since I installed MP on my Win11 laptop, whenever I run it I have a secondary window on my taskbar that seems to be a command line status window that reports plugins loading, HUD drawtime messages, and others. If I close this window, MP closes as well.
Is there any thing I can do to turn off this extra window?
Thanks.

What version of MP?
Could it be that you’ve got the “latest” version rather than the regular stable version?

Help menu, bottom of the screen. Show console window checkbox.

I already tried the “show console” checkbox. That’s what I thought it was. It’s in the unchecked position. I even tried cycling it on and off again. Same result.

The version of MP shows as 1.3.80 build 1.3.8479.20539. Is that a “latest version” or the current stable one?

Thanks for the feedback,
Kevin

On my Win10 box, my MP is the same version as the Win11 laptop. (1.3.80 build 1.3.8479.20539) However, it behaves as expected. If the checkbox is checked, the Console shows up. If it’s not checked, it doesn’t. On the Win11 laptop, I can’t turn it off regardless of how the checkbox is set.

Anyone else running Win11 and NOT having the console show up regardless of whether it’s selected or not?

Same behavior on Win11 here. I assumed it was my penchant for always having the latest bleeding edge version. Doesn’t bother me in the slightest, but it does appear to be unintended behavior.

Agree, it is indeed a bug. Checking the cause now.
Got it, seems to be a Win11 update thing, sent in a PR to fix it.

Thank you very much for looking into it so quickly. Have a great day!

My MP updated yesterday. Directly after the update, the extra window was gone. After closing and reopening MP, the console window is back.

If the recent update included the fix for Win11 and the console checkbox not working to turn it off, sorry, but it didn’t work.

It is included and just tested and it works in Windows 11 23H2 OS Build 22631.2861

Well, I don’t know. I’m on the latest stable version of Win11. ( Windows 11 22H2 OS Build 22621.2861 ) I don’t know if you are running beta versions of win11 but your version number looks too high.
I uninstalled MP several times and reinstalled fresh. The console window still shows up. The only time it disappears is if I “Check for BETA updates”. After it finishes installing the beta updates, MP is running and the console window is gone. As soon as I close MP and re-open it, the console window is back.
If there is anything specific you want me to check on my system, please let me know.
Thanks.

You are one major release behind on windows 11.
I’m running 23H2 and you running 22H2

I am seeing the same behavior on 23H2 and latest MP beta - console window appears regardless of the checkbox status on the HELP tab.

Strange, no repro here with latest beta (1.3.8746.8390)

Identical beta release, identical updated 23H2 Win11 version.

I have tried several times to enable/disable the checkbox option and restart MP. The console window is persistently displayed.

I just backed up my Mission Planner directory and removed it from the default Documents location.

Removed and reinstalled MP. Updated to latest beta. Confirmed Documents/Mission Planner is a new, clean version with no lingering pointers to old config.

No change. Console window remains persistent regardless of deselected option.

I have another machine running Win10 Enterprise and just updated MP there. Same result. Console window really wants to be a part of things!

Could you do a test.
Open a console window (command prompt) and enter
powershell -WindowStyle Hidden -Command Sleep 10
Did it hide the cmd window ?

That command just minimizes the window in which I run it. It has no effect on the Mission Planner console window, and it does not hide anything.

Ok, next test… set console window to hide in Mission Planner
then start MissionPlanner from command line with the following
cd \Program Files (x86)\Mission Planner
conhost MissionPlanner.exe

Using conhost, I get a MP console window with a slightly different font, but the same information is displayed.