Mission and fencing is confusing

I am getting confused using mission files and fencing files. Once loaded, I seem to not be able to get rid of the fencing so here are some basic questions.

1. Are the mission files, i.e. ones that you load in the plan window, separate from the fence files.

Can I load a fence without a mission and can I load a mission without the fence?
Once I load a mission and fence, can I delete either one of these?

1. How do I start with no mission and no fence. Do I have to do a write to get this?

2. If I load a mission and then a fence, how do I get rid of the fence??

I noticed that both mission and fence files are waypoint files.

If I sound confused, I am. I have tried many options and nothing seems to be consistant.

• First, mission and fences are stored on the Flight Controller, when you connect to a FC, fence is downloaded to mission planner automatically. But you have to download Mission from the FC manually.
    -So you always have to either upload an empty mission or download to make sure that there is no mission stored in the flight controller.
    - To delete the Mission or the Fence, you have to upload an empty mission or fence.
  • FlightPlanner has three distinct editing modes, which you can select from the right upper corner dropdown. Mission, Fence, Rally.
  • In Mission mode you can edit upload and download mission points.
  • in Fence mode you can edit polygons and create exclusion or inclusion zones, or point zones with radius. Then you can upload it to the flight controller. (Or you can download an existing fence)
  • in Rally mode, you can do the same with rally points.
  • in all three modes you save the point list to a txt or a .waypoint file, but you cannot use a files saved for Mission in Fence or vica versa.
  • You can distinguish between them by using an appropriate naming convention. flyplan-mission.waypoint flyplan-fence.waypoint etc.

“To delete the Mission or the Fence, you have to upload an empty mission or fence.”

How do you upload an empty mission or fence file?

Do you select Mission in the upper right box and then do a write, then select fence and do a write?

Please explain.

Thanks

Yes, just clear the mission or fence in mission planner. Then click write.

Exactly, do a write without any waypoints or fence points.

Explain this…

I started MP and sim.
I selected mission and loaded a waypoint file. The waypoints were displayed.
Then I selected fence and the display was clear.
Then I selected mission again and the display was cleared. Why?

Does selecting fence clear the mission?

Because you did not uploaded anything and changing the mode, if you uploaded (or downloaded) the mission before changing to fence mode, your mission will be reloaded when you change back to mission mode.

this is crazy.
I loaded a mission
selected fence it was clear
selected mission the mission was cleared
I reloaded mission
did a write
selected fence it was clear
selected mission it was there
selected fence
loaded a fence file
selected mission both fence and mission were displayed
selected fence DELETED ALL WPs
did a write
Selected mission mission and fence is displayed. WHY? I just did a fence write to clear the fence?

What is going on here?

Now, I cannot clear the fence no matter what I do.

I am looking at my screen now. There is a fence. Specifically, how to delete it??

Right Click, Clear Mission, Write. I’m looking at my screen now watching this work…

Right click. clear mission does clear mission but not the fence.

It does if you have selected Fence in the Pulldown menu.

Yes, it clears the fence in the display and then when I select mission it comes back.
I gujess you hae to clear the mission and do a write maybe??

While in fence, I did a clear mission then write, selected mission and there was the fence again.

I think there is some sort of reverse polish thinking going on here :slight_smile:

After clearing them, Read them back and and there should be nothing there.

It doesn’t seem to work as you would expect. I have read some other comments about this issue and it seems there has been confusion going back a few years.

I promise, the loading, clearing, writing, reading, does not work as you would expect. As I see it…

There is a set of mission WPs and a set of Fence WPs. They are loaded into the FC and/or MP. When you change the dropdown selection, the result is not what is expected.

I will keep experimenting and maybe I can find a logical solution.-+

BUt the fence is still there.

Is there a way to report this kind of behavior? Consider the following. I will try to show a simple example of something that needs to be fixed.

Start MP
Start Simulation
Select mission display is clear
select fence display is clear
Select mission press read display is clear
Select fence press read display is clear

At this point I assume both MP and FC are clear of any fence and mission NOW…

Select mission
Load a WP file mission is displasyed
select fence fence is clear
Load a fence (WP file) fence is displayed
At this point MP , not the FC, has a mission and fence loaded

select mission oops mission has disappeared ???
load MP again mmission is displayed.

select fence oops fence has disappeared
reload fence WPs

select mission nothing is there ???
slelect fence nothing is there ???

selectg mission
load mission file
write
select fence
load fence file
write

now mission and fence are displayed.
it is as if a write does a write and a read back.

Uh Oh…mission is no longer displayed…but fence is.
You can go between mission and fence and only fence is displayed.

Lets try to clear the fence. Seect clear mission
fence goes away,
select mission display is cleared
select fence, fence re-appears???
Huh???

I select mission, then read, and nothing???

At this point I deleted all my WPs and did a write, then a read and the fence is gone.,

I still have lost my mission.

Oh well, it is confusing.