Servers by jDrones

Mismatch between number of CAM messages and number of images

(Noosarover) #1

I am doing Survey (Grid) on Mission Planner. I am not getting an image with each CAM message so am then not able to geotag the images using Mission Planner’s"Georef images".
I am using CHDK to trigger my IXUS 125HS camera and have tried both “DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL” and “CAM_TRIGGER_DISTANCE”.
I’m not sure if the issues comes from the camera or Mission Planner.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

(Michael Oborne) #2

the issue will be with your camera. most likerly the images are being requested to fast, and the camera cant keep up.

once you flick into auto the plane/autopilot and camera are the only things control the number of photos, MP does not control any of this while you are in the air.

(Noosarover) #3

OK. Thanks Michael. Makes sense.
I’ll try flying a bit higher, a bit slower or bit less overlap. It’s an interesting puzzle to get good ground resolution and cover more ground and not have issues like this…

(X1Aero) #4

I finally went to a camera with a hot shoe. This allows you to record when the camera fired instead of when the autopilot wanted it to. No more freaking out after hitting the pre process and getting a cam message discrepancy lol!

(Noosarover) #5

Can definitely see the advantage in that. How do you record the camera firing and the coordinates when it fires?

(Noosarover) #6

Found where you are trialling it.

(X1Aero) #7

You’ll find it in the camera triggering section. Feed 5 volts from the power rail to the hotshoe adapter with a 1kohm resistor dropping the voltage to the signal wire. Set your digital input to low, not high.

(Kyomo Jung) #8

Hi @X1Aero

It’ll be very appreciated if you help me get the hotshoe to pixhawk wiring diagram like.

( I couldn’t “camera triggering section” ^^; )

(X1Aero) #9

So the setup for Mission Planner is here: http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-camera-shutter-with-servo.html#enhanced-camera-trigger-logging . And the wiring

1 Like
Solution to the mission planner image tagging issues
(Kyomo Jung) #10

@X1Aero, thanks so much ^^

(Noosarover) #11

Hi Michael, I increased the time between photos and found that at just over 3 seconds I am reliably getting an image with each CAM message.
However, the images do not match the coordinates. There seems to be a delay between the CAM message and the image capture. If I plot the coordinates from either the CAM message or the exif file from the geotagged images and compare it to the image there is a difference of about a few seconds at the start of the flight and 10 to 20 seconds at the end of the flight. The end of flight was quite obvious - it was taking the last few images after completion of the mission while returning to launch.
Do I need to increase time between photos further or is something else going on here?
I am using CHDK to trigger my IXUS 125HS camera and was using “DO_DIGICAM_CONTROL”

(X1Aero) #12

Stop torturing yourself lol! Do the enhanced camera trigger. Unless your camera doesn’t have a hot shoe…

(Noosarover) #13

Advice straight from the heart. I like it. But didn’t I see that hot shoe is at this time supported on Plane but not Copter?

Enhanced camera trigger logging in Copter 3.6
(X1Aero) #14

Rejoice! It’s supported on Arducopter 3.4! Not to worry about it being beta, I’ve been using it for work from it’s first release.

(Noosarover) #15

Except I don’t have a hot shoe on this camera so still interested on what my issue is… Will go back and look at camera settings unless someone has a suggestion.

(Noosarover) #16

Did a flight with approx 5 seconds (was 3) between images and finished up with a much more accurate orthophoto. May be able to bring that time back some.