Solution to the mission planner image tagging issues

I use an A6000 triggered by CamRemote with a hotshoe sending feedback to pin 55. The mission planner GEOTAGGED process works ever time. Never had a problem. Although today I had to tag images with a tlog, which is a bit painful. I had to do it this way only because I had bad logging. Its a nice redundancy built into mission planner.

Mission Planner Rocks!

Thank you for everyone who replied! I should be getting a Tuffwing camera feedback hot shoe within a few days in order to get the same amount of pictures as cam messages. I’ll post in the thread if it works or not.

I’m with Rangler on the difficulty of tagging with Mission Planner. We were also told it just works, but this isn’t the case. I rarely have gotten it to work with an A5100 and various triggering methods. There doesn’t seem to be any accounting for missing pictures. It’s difficult to line up the right time difference to place all th pictures in the right place. Frustrating that EXIF information isn’t more precise in timing too.

I haven’t been able to find a hotshoe adapter that works for an A6000 I have. Bought a couple but they’ve been the wrong ones. I will look into the Tuffwing solution. Looking forward to hearing how it works for you.

How is your # of photos different from the # of cam messages in the log? It definitely won’t work right if the quantities are different. But the question should then be… why are they different??

I’m not entirely sure why the camera isn’t triggering fast enough to keep up with the trigger events. We found it tough to go faster than 1.5 seconds per image reliably, even though the cameras should be able to do many images per second for extended periods.

We run into issues where there are less cam messages than pictures which is a prerequisite problem to fix before we worry about the name of the images. I know that the image name isn’t an issue because it tags them by time. I’ve also have had one experience where the images all tagged, just incorrectly not because of the picture number but something else. I think having the feedback from the tuffwing will solve the issue. We actually called up the business owner and and asked him about the product and he knew what our problem was before we told him. He said it’d fix the problem which is great news, but I’ll take it with a grain of salt. I’ll let y’all know if the hot shoe works.

The number of CAM messages may differ from actual photo count if you take pictures on the ground prior to arming the drone. We always test our trigger twice before each flight, once with mission planner and once with the RC. If you have log_disarmed set to 1 you’ll have a disparity between the two counts, which can easily be resolved by deleting the pictures taken on the ground prior to geotagging.

Exactly. This is why I can’t figure out what’s going on here. Deleting pictures not part of the survey is a rather obviously and necessary step. If that’s the cause of the problems here, I would declare that user error.

If not, I still haven’t seen anyone say what is causing the delta.

This conversation is still going lol? Stop the bleeding now! Read:

https://discuss.ardupilot.org/t/mismatch-between-number-of-cam-messages-and-number-of-images/10553/9

For those who don’t have a hotshoe, buy one that does. And of course you can buy the Tuffwing version and save yourself some time : )

Hotshoes are great, but even with a hot shoe, if Rangler6475 isn’t deleting pictures taken prior to logging commmencing, he’ll always have a mismatch

I always import from Lightroom for two reasons. One is to correct the orientation of the photo (wish Sony would allow us to lock the portrait mode out!) and the other is to only export images taken in the air. That way there’s never a miss match.

The hotshoe fixed all my problems! Wiring through the gimbal was a little tricky, but it works. So the setup on the drone uses an infrared trigger for the Sony a 6000 then the Tuffwig hot shoe slides into the camera and plugs into the pixhawk as a feedback every time the camera is triggered by the ir. Y’all probably know that, but for those who find this thread it may be helpful. Also mission planner tagging works fine now finally! Next step is a ppk system to get surveyor grade ortho, point clouds and stereo compilation. Thank you guys for the knowledge and experience.

Don’t forget ppk won’t give you survey grade ortho. You’d need a FOG gyro for that : ) That’s what I use on my Phoenix scanner. You’ll still want to drop targets for GCP’s and check points. If you’re going to fly sans GCP’s with ppk, at least drop some check points.

Agree, PPK wont give you survey grade orthos. The only value I see to PPK is modest improvements in processing time. And GEOtagging wiith PPK EXIF data is much more complicated than using pixhawk DFlogs.

Anyone thinking of investing in a ppk system should really take note of your comment. So often in this industry we’re promised more than we actually get. PPK would work great is you had say KVH IMU that was boresight to the camera. That’s exactly what I have when mounting a camera to my AL-3 lidar. But the cost is crazy just for photogremmetry. SfM photogrammetry is a great low cost tool combined with GCP and checkpoint targets.

1 Like

Hii,
I have Geo Tag issues in mission planner and stretching Issue

1. I have brought PX4 and I burn with Arducopter firmware .I made a Grid in Mission and Planed the mission at mission Planner.

After Completed the mission I was Shocked a have got and 61 lat and Log but i got 58 images
    I cant able rectify it.

2.At the Other end i have made a mission using Pixhawk Cube with Flir veu Camera, this time we made Self geo tag option at pixhawk with Flir veu Camera ,All the images are tagged but images are not Stretching properly

Please give a idea for this both problem

image every 1.83 seconds. in optimal conditions.
if the there is wind that could be 50% less time… is you camera setup capable of that (over a period of time)?

Hii, Thank you for Replaying
Yes at that time there was a wind around 6 to 8 m/s but we have given in distance base triggering ,We did’t Face any issues in the camera lagging till now i have made many mission with my camera with N3 controller but i have facing this issue only in pixhawk.

i assume that the N3 was used on a multirotor platform and the pixhawk on a wing now?
it sound like it is exactly the problem that i was talking of, the camera is not caplable of shooting that fast, triggering that fast, or the sd card is to slow to get all the data written.

please give more details:

m/s flight speed, height, trigger distance.

Hii Bro,
Have Good Day
I Used in the Multi rotor Quad Configuration
At N3 i have given Speed of 5 m/s ,2 Sec once trigger and 30 mts alt.
At PX4 we have given Distance base trigger and all the mission base parameter was given at the Before image
I think that there will be a issues on Seagull, i used seagull Map2 as by-pass for triggering. Do you Know any Issues Occurs in the seagull.