MicroArduCopter, 3" props, Omnibus Nano, Success!

Yes I do have a foam over the baro. It is actualy beneath the baro as the baro sensor is on the bottom side of the board :wink:
I have experimented with it a lot, tried different amount and different kinds of the foam. I have come to a conclusion that baro alt is changing when the 3.3V BEC temperature changes.
I have enabled baro temperature compensation learning as per https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-baro-temp-comp.html but TCAL_BARO_EXP was not changed from zero. I even tried setting it to a non-zero value, but it was getting reset to zero.
I have also seen occasional horizon drift - not sure whether it is caused by temperature, hence asking about your issue.

Bottom side? Of course you can mount the controller anyway you like but just to be sure the baro is on the same side as the USB connector right? I happen to have that side mounted up.

FWIW-I have not yet realized a temperature problem on this Flight Controller. Others for sure (Omni F4 nano).

Mine is a normal Kakute F7, not mini. I jumped this thread because google found that someone else is having temperature related issues with a Kakute.

Ah OK. I have one of those also and itā€™s been pretty Stable.

I was considering buying an F7 mini for my new project, but after reading this thread and some others and considering my previous experience with Kakute I am tending to buy an H743-slim. Though it is very new and may have its own issues.

I am tired to fight with my OmnibusNanoV6 and its limitations, I ordered a Matek H743 Mini.
I will report when I got it.

3 Likes

I re-purposed the Omni Nano and put it in a Plane.

Arducopter should be ported for these FCs which cost half the matek. Perhaps the 405 is already compatible with the FW 405 for matek. However, a 20x20 F7 with barometer and 5 UARTs at 23 USD would be great!

It might be if it could actually run Ardupilot. The link doesnā€™t work but itā€™s an F722 from the link description. Not enough memory. Considering he overall cost of a quad copter the difference between a $28 FC (there are some that run Ardupilot) and a $50 H7 doesnā€™t seem significant. And the $50 H7 has an SD card. Your choices are an Omni Nano, Kakute F7 Mini (V2), a Matek H743-Mini or a iFlight Beast. But the later doesnā€™t support an external compass.

i corrected the link, unfortunately on hakrc there is not much documentation, for example there is an FC that supports arducopter but it is not documented. There is also the f405 which could work with FW matek 405

Yes, there are many F405ā€™s supported. I just commented that the F722 doesnā€™t have the minimum flash to run Arducopter. Even 1MB is feature limiting and those have 512k.

I mounted the Matek H743 Mini on my 3 inch Copter using the provided silicon grommets and M3 nylon screws and nuts but I have lot of vibration and the Copter has attitude drift.

I had to try better mounting.

This is vibrations from first IMU (ICM-20602), those from second IMU (MPU6000) are only slightly better.

Old Omnibus nano V6.0 with rubber stanoff and ring MPU6000 of course

@anbello -I just completed a sub 250g 5" with a Matek H743-Mini and am pretty happy with the 1st flight. I also used the silicon grommets supplied but they are stacked on another set that came with the 4-in1. This is the ICM-20602, the MPU6000 is a bit lower.

I think what also helped was using M2.5 fasteners to give it a bit more compliance. The M3ā€™s fit pretty tight in the grommets.

2 Likes

@dkemxr Thanks for reporting. What do you mean for fasteners? (problems of english understanding)

I used 4 long nylon screws, on this I stacked the 4-in1 with its grommets and the Matek with its grommets, on top of all 4 nylon nuts.

I think the problem could be that I used M3 screws, as you said too tight in the grommets.

Anyway a sub 250g 5 inch is a really cool thing. Congrats!
Can I know which frame and which motors for this 5 inch?

@anbello I used M2.5 screws (fasteners). I wanted to use plastic but couldnā€™t find any smaller than M3. Not the best photo but you can see whatā€™s going on. Plastic spacer below the ESC then the red grommet above the ESC and the grommet in the FC. A long screw and a lock nut. I realize this ā€œfloatsā€ the ESC also but everything is so small and light weight I donā€™t think itā€™s problem.

I used this frame and BetaFPV 1404 3800kV motors with 5.1x2.5 tri-blade props.
A note about the frame. The ESC battery solder pads was an interference fit with the aluminum standoffs. I turned them down and put shrink tube on to insulate them. I also carefully ground away some of the tab.