MicroArduCopter, 3" props, Omnibus Nano, Success!

They are working on a 20x20 version apparently

I would pre-order a couple of those!

20x20 Coming soon aswered me matek on facebook

Good!

[bla bla 20 char]

The new nano v6? :slight_smile:

http://www.mateksys.com/?portfolio=h743-mini

Thatā€™s amazing that they packed all of that into that form factor - wow!

1 Like

Sd card socket. Wow indeed.

It looks very nice. But, I noticed the h743 mini specifies 6.3 volts minimum input voltage. I donā€™t know exactly what the official lower bound is for the Omnibus Nano V6 or the Kakute F7 mini. I think they just specify down to 2S, but I just measured one of the 5V outputs (powering my TBS receiver and VTX) on the F7 mini, and it outputs 5.2V down to about 5.9V input before it starts to sag. Iā€™ve flown both flight controllers down to about 5 volts which is required to get the most from 2S Li-Ion. At 5 volts, the peripherals are getting a rather noisy supply of about 4.25 volts on the F7 mini and a little over 4.4 volts on the Nano V6, but everything still works at those voltages. It would be really nice to have a Buckā€“boost supply integrated which could supply a more stable 5V for peripherals, and might even allow operation on 1S.

I have a 1s copter, and had to install an external boost regulator. I basically cut the traces around the FCā€™s on board regulator, and connected a little pololu regulator in its place. Theyā€™re tiny and donā€™t add much weight.
It sucks to have to cut in to a new perfectly good boardā€¦ But it is an option.

Wow. That says something about how far you are willing to go to build tiny flying things! :grinning: Have you posted about this build? It sounds like an interesting project.

No postsā€¦ It was a betaflight copter a few years ago, before we were doing much w/ microcopters here w/ Ardupilot.
I have not tried 1s w/ ardupilotā€¦ Doubt itā€™s possible if you want all the usual accessories (gps, recorded video, etc)

hi all :slight_smile:

i am trying to connect a RX jumper R1 + on my nano v6. Unfortunately I canā€™t use the S.port to get the telemetry data because the nano v6 is an F4 and doesnā€™t support the inverted signal. Reading the hwdef file I read that however on a uart6 there is still a HW inverter, which is used by the GPS.

#Omnibus F4 V3 and later had hw inverter on UART6
#Overide it to use as GPS UART port
PC8 SBUS_INVERT_RX OUTPUT LOW
PC9 SBUS_INVERT_TX OUTPUT LOW

Is it possible to move the GPS to another UART and connect S.port to UART6?

Something like this:

https://ardupilot.org/rover/docs/common-FPort-receivers.html#common-fport-receivers

Maybe many of you already know, anyway I would like to signal that Kakute F7 mini V2 is again on stock
https://shop.holybro.com/kakute-f7-mini-v2_p1133.html

1 Like

Thanks! I might still like to replace an old v1 that gives me issues.

I just noticed a v3 is out as well. And, has anyone tried the h743 mini? I bought one of those, but have been too busy to plan a new copter this winter.

1 Like

V3 has F722 as MCU hence is useless for Ardupilot.

I would like to try H743 but I need more money and more time, that many says is the same thing.

Anyone know if Andy is still maintaining a ā€˜small copterā€™ branch, or has most of that been merged into the official releases now? (I havenā€™t really kept up over the past 6 months or so)

Pretty much everything is in 4.1 now. I have started an experimental 4.2 branch but itā€™s looking like those PRā€™s might actually make it into 4.1.

I have a H743 Slim than just arrived. I will be trying it out for bi-directional dshot - but probably not putting it on anything flyable until the new year.

Thanks Andy.
I think Iā€™ll convert one of my old 250mm (5-6" prop) copters to modern electronics and use the h743 board on it. Itā€™s about 6 years old, so this should shave off a lot of weight.

4.2ā€¦ Iā€™ve got some catching up to do.

I am having leaning problem on pitch with my 3 inch copter with OmnibusNanoV6.

In this thread I red more then one post relative to similar problems both from @wicked1 and from @andyp1per so I would like to discuss here.

In the wiki page relative to vibration there is a little paragraph on leaning problem (here) that says:

The cause of the problem is often accelerometer aliasing which can be confirmed by comparing the Roll and Pitch attitude estimates from each of the estimation systems (i.e. each AHRSs or EKFs). The attitude estimates should be within a few degrees of each other

In the following plot we can see this problem on my copter:

Pitch from EKF and pitch from AHR2 differ and I have to correct with pitch stick.

From the FFT of the same log we can see low frequency noise both on gyro and on accel:

On other threads I red that this problem is better managed by board with more then one IMU and / or by dumping vibration.

I would like to ear from you what do you think about this problem and possible solution.

Maybe the better solution is to choose another board, in this case which could be the best choice?

[Edit]
The log used for the plots is without harmonic notch, anyway the leaning problems is the same also with harmonic notch based on throttle, dynamic FFT and ESC telemetry.

For me, the only real improvements came from lowering physical vibrations.
Stiffening the arms. I glued carbon fiber rods under the arms.
Using multiple rubber isolation grommets. One between the frame and the ESC, and another between the ESC and FC. Or, using double sided tape on gel pads, rather than screws, to mount the FC.
And careful prop balancing.
Itā€™s manageable now, but still does it if I donā€™t have GPS reception. And like I have said in other posts, I have larger copters w/ over 10x higher vibrations, and they are fine.

I also tried the kakute f7 mini, and the v1 w/ the different IMU was worse (sorry, donā€™t remember the name of the IMU).

Could you post which frame, motors, and props you use? Your FFT profile looks almost the same as mine. Iā€™m not sure if all small copters do. My larger copters donā€™t have the same low frequency noise, relative to the other peaks.