MicroArduCopter, 3" props, Omnibus Nano, Success!

post here what factual range you will get from it - they say there 100mA, i kinda doubt if it is indeed true. but, who knows.
i see there a wi-fi module they claim up to 800m, also kinda doubtful…

Nice find too. Unfortunately out of stock as often on, Hobbyking.

looks nice on the picture, but, i suspect it is just a glorified esp8266, so, highly doubt the 800m range. but, who knows.
first radio module has odd antenna on it, i would think if they had an external dipole it could work - but with this soldered on patch one - also doubtful.
talking of other devices - i just other day found something i did not know existed - it is a video receiver that pumps stream into an android tablet or phone

i did not test it yet, but, for me it looks to be somewhat useful.

I have one on order as well as the bigger brother version of it. FUAV also makes the eachine version you can buy from Banggood.

Also here is the other transmitter, this is my preferred version, not sure about range. I think 500m or so, honestly not sure its for a mini quad and I never fly them out that far.

it is an interesting stuff, that OTG. i wonder how well it actually looks in something like google daydream vr on that phone, compared to $400 fatsharks. :slight_smile: i did not see dual diversity one on amazon, too bad. i have prime there, so it is handy to get it with 2 day free shipping.

Another option is moving to something like this. A number of us have moved in this direction and telemetry is embedded in the system. I can’t speak to the range question but the operational aspects are awesome.

Well, i hope in some future time we should eventually get a 3rd party digital video transmission solution similar to what dji is using, so, i am not really inclined to ditch taranis yet, especially after i got that small xlite one, it is actually pretty neat to use. Will see. But, i do not fly planes and do not really need crazy long range.

Skydroid has an HD system coming.
I have seen a few videos on it. Very cool

Uh, guys: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2664393-EZ-WifiBroadcast-cheap-digital-HD-transmission-made-easy

I run this on my 250mm quad with fantastic results. Cheap HD. A bit if DIY required, but super fun.

i did not look much in that thread - last message is impressive, claims to have reception of wifi signal over 21 miles? not sure how it is possible, but, very cool. so, that wifi signal - i presume it also capable of pushing down mavlink telemetry in the same stream? or is it only video? is there a thread or anything consolidated that shows how the whole contraption is built, from the camera step to the app that shows the received stream?

Thats what I was after. How do you build it.

You can start here: https://github.com/rodizio1/EZ-WifiBroadcast/wiki really its just a bunch of soldering and installing some custom images. It wasn’t hard for me to get going. Yes, you can get a telemetry stream on the GCS - some people are actually using it for RC control as well - so everything going over the wifi link. I am using 5.8Ghz and smaller tx so reduced range, but the picture and OSD quality compared to analog is amazing. I’ll post some pictures of my setup when I get time.

Something odd with that page. I click on wiring instructions and get the same page again. Hmm…maybe it’s me.

Wow, I had not seen that before… You just gave me a reason to use my larger copters again :).
New rabbit hole to go down later this winter when I get some time…

it is pretty interesting. do those Pi cameras exist in the more appropriate mount format or is it the only one that looks like this funky board with a small camera in the middle of it?

is there anything that looks like a usual foxeer in micro or full format, with same mounting dimensions?

You basically need the funky board because of the connection options. There are some mods people have done putting lenses on but they don’t work well. I think there are some banggood type alternatives but for the price the vanilla pi camera is best. You can also use an HDMI converter board (e.g. to use a gopro), but that’s quite expensive and increases the latency. I had to play around with the camera settings quite a bit to get a FOV that works for a mini quad and decent latency. That said, there is a lot of image processing that goes on in the pi, so despite the weedy looking camera the image is really nice with good dynamic range etc.

Do you know XBee? You can use it for telemetry… It is very light. About 3.9g with wire antenna. I have some XBee Pro S3B and I will try to use it…

I do not think Xbee are compatible with mavlink, but I may be wrong.

http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-telemetry-xbee.html

2 Likes

Mounting it needs some work. I use the pie zero with ez broadcast and the pie zero spy cam I’ts the smallest camera (including cable) that iv’e seen for the pie zero.