Maximum telemetry, short range

Hey everyone. I ended up with some happy model es900s. And I’m trying to use them. I’m flying a. Quad with elrs and im using mavlink to connect rc and telemetry wirelessly. I’m actually having LESS luck with wired. Anyway, My first test flight showed a slow enough position update that the flightpath looks hexagonal even though the program was a circle. It flew a circle. I only need 800 feet range so I’m wondering what i might do in settings to increase telemetry bandwidths as high as is reasonable. I’m new to ardupilot so not sure which settings make the differences. I think the baud rate is at 400k. Go up? Not sure about receiver wattage. I think its 100mw and thats it. Working on replacing it with a ranger for 1watt both ways. Certainly open to your suggestions!

Are you flying the copter with GCS?

What do you mean by “wired”?

ELRS with normal T antenna setup is adequte for 250m(800 feet) LOS communication.

Normal ELRS setup (Tx 50mW) will be OK for you requirement (250m line of sight range communication)

Yes I’m flying with gcs. But radio sometimes as well. The wired usb mavlink connection from radio to laptop is what i was talking about. Cant seem to get it working for more than a few seconds.

And yes i was aware that my setup is going to be ok for the low ranges. Its the telemetry I’m worried about. I do have a 100mw x2 diversity antenna coming along with a pair of rangers to bump up the wattage. I really only need the wattage for telemetry. There’s alot of data and i need to set the bauds as high as i can, but I’m not sure what that limit is in reality. I know I’ll probably never even get to 500mw but i just want to have the option.

I’m just trying to understand how much telemetry i can pack into the bandwidth. With the rc not doing much control i think i can get the mavlink setup to do more telemetry than normal… but the whats the limit of 900mhz? How do i know when I’m approaching That limit? The telemetry track from the sik modules was significantly better but im not sure if it’s a telemetry issue or a mavlink/wireless issue. I beleive it’s telemetry at the momemt.

I haven’t used ELRS airpot setup, but there is a tip which gives recommended settings (data rate/ baud rate). And there is a table for OTA limits (which you can consider for telemetry). Hope it can give a basic idea.

In the AirPort UART baud field, enter your desired baud rate. IMPORTANT: Pay close attention to the “Data rate vs Baud rate” section above when choosing your baud. A good default is 9600 baud for 2.4GHz and `4800`` baud for 868/900MHz.

I’m not using airport. I’m using a single link. It’s coming up in the new releases of elrs. Those baudrates are far too low.

Just a simple forward FYI: Trying to understand ExpressLRS/ELRS and Mavlink

I’ll check tomorrow to see if there is any links available. As I’m thinking about setup a MAVLink over ELRS module also.

– EDIT:

For the below steps, when a UART connection is mentioned, it will be written as SERIALx. Replace x with the UART number you are using.

1. Configure SERIALx_PROTOCOL=2, SERIALx_BAUD=460, and RSSI_TYPE=5
  2. Connect the TX module to the computer running the Ground Control Station via a USB cable
  3. Select the COM port on the GCS, and connect using 460800 baud

I haven’t tested yet, but I think 460800 is quite fast compared to 3DR 433 telemetry module (57600 ).

@lida2003

Did you make it to work?

ESP32 WiFi based telemetry is cheaper , faster and less interference prone AFAIK

1 Like

Unfortunately that’s a little bit too short of a range. 300-800 is what I’m looking for

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-telemetry-landingpage.html#short-range-10km

ESP8266 ESP32 all works for your 300-800 short range.