Mavlink to FrSky S.Port Passthru Converter for LRS or PX4 Pro

Hello Eric, First of all, Thanks for all the great work. However, I have had a problem for some time, which I cannot resolve.
I am with a dragonlink, X10s, in ground mode. I want to drive with wifi, an antenna tracker.
So I have an esp32 connected to the dragonlink behind my X10S. In config.h : #define FrSky_Port_Type 3 // S.Port / legacy
Then another ESP32 TTGO which receives the telemetry with WIFI. YAPPU does not work. The TTGO display shows LAtitude and Longitude good, but RSSI 0%. But in the debug, I have "Mavlink from FC # 65 RC_Channels: ap65_chcnt = 16 PWM: 1 = 1498 2 = 1503 3 = 1027 4 = 1498 5 = 1501 6 = 1501 7 = 1501 8 = 1001 9 = 1501 10 = 1501 11 = 1501 12 = 1900 13 = 1501 14 = 1501 15 = 1501 16 = 1460 ap65_rssi = 253 rssiGood = 1
"
My RSSI on channel 12. I think that’s why YAPPU isn’t working, but I’m lost. Can you help me.
thank you in advance

Hi Guillpoire

The problem is almost certainly RSSI. RSSI can come for three sources,
#35 MAVLINK_MSG_ID_RC_CHANNELS_RAW
#65 MAVLINK_MSG_ID_RC_CHANNELS
#109 MAVLINK_MSG_ID_RADIO_STATUS

Precedence is in the above order. If I remember correctly, DL sends a SiK modem style #109 message, so #35 and #65 would be overruled by the #109 type.

Try this again: #define Mav_Debug_Rssi // #109 > #65 > #35

and please post the serial monitor log file. From the beginning would be good, so I can see the complete setup.

Alternatively, you could post a TLog out of Mission Planner for the period when these symptoms are happening.

Hi David, I managed to set up with one of these, simply to test with a 12F module, and it does not do the reboot loop. Seems to work fine.

Have you made any progress?

David, I’ve also saved SRAM by optionally removing display support.

V2.65.7

Thanks, I´tt try it as soon as I am able to.

Hi Eric! I’m attempting to use your converter with Dragonlink in a relay setup using a 2.4GHz FrSky receiver. I would like to have mavlink via UDP to a GSC running on a PC, and telemetry over the 2.4GHz link into my radio for Yaapu. I have the Heltec ESP32.

Initially I used Noircogi’s pre-compiled version of firmware from this guide: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ePGAmYa-GSwJ9TrpRcMSZ5HjKpIELJfxtvpISxID2Xs/edit?usp=sharing Using that, I have mavlink on the LAN via UDP working just fine. I built an inverter for s.port according to this: Some soldering required If I connect the s.port wire to the FrSky receiver, the ESP32 reboots endlessly in a loop. If I unplug the wire from the receiver, but leave the inverter attached to the ESP32, it starts and and operates as expected.

Last night I compiled " v2.6602d", the latest on github. I no longer have the boot loop issue with s.port connected, but I’m not getting anything over UDP, GCS will not connect. (I tried QGC and MP) I also have no data into the radio over the 2.4GHz link. The display on the Heltec board shoes “Mavlink Good!” and starts showing the RSSI and some altitude data, so I assume mavlink data is making it that far.

Could you maybe give me a quick list of options I need to set in config.h and/or in the web GUI to get it working to rule out user error before I dig any deeper to get this working?

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Keith

Just a quick follow up. I talked with Henry, aka " hurzburg" here. He has a working relay setup like I wanted to achieve. He said he was using v2.62.7 of the firmware. So I compiled that one with the same settings and everything works. Yaapu has telemetry in the radio, and WiFi/UDP sends data out to the GCS. I can only assume the rebooting thing was an issue in 2.60.2 from Noircogi’s guide, and that there’s also some issue (or I had misconfigured) the latest v2.6602d. Whatever the reason, it’s working, I’m happy. :wink:

Hi Keith, sorry for the slow response, and thanks for the feedback. I’ll make a point of checking the latest version again.

Ok, I believe the rebooting issue on older versions was related to using pin 12 for the S.Port. When pin 12 is high during startup, the esp2 reboots. We later changed to pins 13 and 14 on the Heltec.

Mav2PT stores settings in EEPROM, and it’s possible/probable that the old settings were retained when you tested with v2.66.02.

If you want to use V2.66.02 (it has better features, some bug fixes), then you could try building/flashing with

#define Reset_Web_Defaults // Reset settings in eeprom

Flash and run one time to update the eeprom setting to your default defined settings, then comment this macro out again, and flash a final time. I should probably streamline the eeprom reset process. :frowning:

Thanks for the info! I did like the telemetry info being shown in the OLED display in the newer version… lol I can try again.

For what it’s worth, I did erase the eeprom using ESP32 flash tool, when testing, but I’m not sure that’s as effective as using “#define Reset_Web_Defaults”.

Hold fire before you try it Keith, I found a problem with UDP in the latest version. When I added S.Port UDP out I broke something in UDP Mavlink out.

Keith you can try v2.67.00 now if you have the time. Thanks again for the feedback.

i did test v2.67.00 cant log into the web interphase
what is the default user and password ?

user mav2pt
pass admin

?

even if i change it in the config.h sill cant log in

admin / admin

I’ve added a comment in the config.h

Sorry for the late reply! I’ve only recently signed up here and I’m only allowed 4 comments per topic apparently… lol I had to delete one above and wait 24hrs to reply again here. Is there some other means of communication you’d like to use if I need to follow up again? (email, skype, discord, github, etc.?) I’m not sure how long the restriction is in place for new accounts here.

Anyway, I compiled v2.67.00 and I’m still seeing the same problem. I get Mavlink data into the ESP32, it’s showing some data on the OLED screen, and the message “Mavlink good!” momentarily before switching to the telemetry data. I am still not getting anything via UDP, though the ESP32 is connected to my network, and I’m able to load the web GUI. I’m also not getting any telemetry over the 2.4GHz FrSky relay into my radio.

Again, I’m using relay mode, ESP32 is set to STA, not AP. I’ve included my config.h here just in case I’m setting something wrong. The only thing I’ve changed here are my passwords and SSID. https://pastebin.com/v4V1dPAG

Keith, I’m also on github/zs6buj

The bug I found related to AP access.

The problem I have is that the hotspot I currently have access to is not managed by me and is blocking most ports, so testing STA mode is not possible . I do have a 4G router somewhere, so I’ll try to set that up for testing. STA.

Keith, I tested STA again this morning. I started a hotspot on my android phone, connected mav2pt/esp32 to the phone (in STA) using UDP local port 14555, remote port 14550, then connected my tablet to the same phone. QGC connected immediately, using default port 14550

I can reply here again, yay! lol

Could it be that I have something set up wrong in the config.h I linked to above? There’s a few more options there than in the older version that I do have working.

It all looks ok. Perhaps your setting stored in EEPROM are out of date.