Lora telemetry module with pixhawk

HI everyone,
after long tests, changes on hardware and software we have confirmed +10km range with Lora 2.4 GHz module. We have design hardware and software to make the module plug and play for drone autopilots and IOT systems.
stay tuned, ZOON - Long Range Drone Telemetry
with Lora 2.4Ghz technology coming soon to dronee

1 Like

What is the price?

Is your LoRa wireless communication protocol for this device incorporated already in the Ardupilot source code?

it works as full-duplex serial port device as similar to other rf modules but the physical channel is half duplex ā€œloraā€ channel.

After long development and tests ZOON - 2.4Ghz LoRa Long Range Telemetry Module available.

I have added added a function Mavlink NEVER LOST dynamically changes data speed and sends only necessary packets such as position,orientation,rtcm(rtk gps),etc. when the drone/robot is far away.

Led Data signal strength indicators
and 3 connector
1 regular micro USB connector
1 JST type usb conector for reliable cable connection
1 UART with JST type connector

more information here : dronee.aero/zoon

Cheers,
Tomi

Is there progress on this 2.4GHz Lora Module? Did someone tested it with ardupilot yet? Cheers

Hello, i have finally replicated your setup, after modules waiting in the drawer for more than a year.It worked on your sketch tx version 3.0.Do you think i should do any changes since i have 433 EU lora modules ? What is a max serial 2 baud i can set on each side ? Working on tracked sprayer for some time.I need at least decimeter precision.Do you think a Cub cadet 33 walk behind mower could be RC controlled? Thanks for sharing all your work.
my early work on yt https://youtu.be/TbISpWNyIcM
https://youtu.be/Amu1sZJoPd8

Hi anyone test this Lora radio ? Any satisfied customer ?

Using rfdesign.com.au 900X radios work a treat. :slight_smile:

@Artem_Skorsky What is the status of your 2.4 modules? Are you planning to continue that effort?
Iā€™d like to recreate to try and see if I could make them work with INAV and the F4/F7 flight controllers.

it works with any autopilot through the Serial port. Note , "mavlink never lost " feature works only with Mavlink protocol .

@Artem_Skorsky Could you please share the arduino code file of air & ground station. Iā€™m working on long range system. Iā€™ll be thankful to you if you share your codes.
Some information on my projectā€¦iā€™ll be using diy LRS radio and receiver both based on lora 900mhz and telemetry 433mhz also lora with 1watt rf amplifier on all four rf modules. FPV system will be 5.8ghz 600mw vtx with helical antenna for ground station. I hope to achieve minimum 10km without any control loss and upto 20km or more(5.8ghz vtx wonā€™t work for more than 10km). I scratch build rc wings. Iā€™m looking forward to your reply. Hope I could help you out in something although I have little knowledge in integrated circuits, but I can help you in RC PLANES.

I about about to start experimenting with some of the ZOON V1 and V2s, but am trying to figure out how the GCS will be able to communicate and differentiate to the multiple aircraft on the star network configurationā€¦

interfacing with the modems has definitely been a challenge! Though the online blogs and videos have somewhat helped, when something doesnā€™t go exactly right, you are pretty much on your own. I current have 4 vehicles set up using 2 Zoon V1s and 2 Zoon V2s, with the plan to go up to 8 or 9 vehicles. Unfortunately, i canā€™t seem to get any mavlink packets to the GCS when using mesh or ā€œSwarmā€ features.

• I do really like the fit/finish of the modules. They are well built, have good connectors, and the LEDs are nice and clear. Definitely better build quality than my cheapo SIK radios.

better contact with the guys in dronee.aero if canā€™t get connected, imo.

yeah, iā€™ve been in contact with them trying to get it working. They were able to update the web interface to allow the configuration tool to get working a bit better. We have still not been able to get the ā€œNeverLostā€ mode to work with MAVLINK, and have had horrible range (less than 1km) so far. We are upgrading antennas to hopefully fix that, but no luck so far.

I have compared ZOON and RFD900x modules in order to create mesh network across my swarm application and I ended up with RFD900x because users are not really around and no application appeared on web with ZOON. I asked them to show me some use cases but they could not convice me. Making MAVLink mesh network with LoRa is hell of a good idea, with that being said, ZOON seemed very powerful to me but I am suprised right now since ZOON have failed you too bad. Because they advertise it for being very good for a swarm application and with other options like MAVLink Never Lost, MAVLink enabled hassle free mesh network etc.
Not getting further than 1km and becoming non-functional with Never Lost feature is hell of shame because they are selling this product and making money from it. Hopefully it will get better, correct me if am wrong at any point. Maybe there are other users out there so that they can help you and show their experiences to become a better community. I might consider purchasing few of them later on. (plus I donā€™t think they deserve that much of prices). Please donā€™t get it like defamatory campaign.

you definitely have some issue on your parameters or setup. 1km range is definitely very short range. Please write us with your parameters and setup. we can definitely help you to get the best out of ZOON.

there is definitely something wrong with the parameters or setup.( in RF 1 small wrong parameter setup can reduce range significantly). We provide excactly the same device that we advertise on our store.

ZOON version 1 has affordable price. if you dont need " Mavlink Never lost " feature.
Also you can return the product if you dont satisfy.

Can your modules be used for other types of telemetry than just Mavlink? I am using 915MHz LoRa to send RTCM3 RTK corrections from a base GPS to the rover GPS on my vehicle. I also have another similar application. I would be interested in trying your modules in this application.

I have been working with ā€œNikā€ and ā€œMaksimā€ over the last two weeks to try and troubleshoot the configurations. @eminakgn Iā€™m not confident enough in my setup yet to really say that the modem is at fault or incapable of what is advertised, as there are still numerous configuration things that could be in play. I will say that when i got it, it was not plug and play by any means, and it was only after 10-15 emails that i was able to manually configure it, and they did just this past weekend fix the web-based configuration tool. With those fixes, there are still parameters in the radio that i am unable to enable (like mavlink NeverLost) and things that are just glitchy (like a Zoom V2 with the correct power output, but the incorrrect maximum power output, which is less than the power output).

I am running these on a series of 5" quads, so the 2.4 modem is right next to both the R/C (FrSky) and 5.8 video transmitters, which no matter how good your radio is, is still going to cause degraded performance.

All said and done, despite the price, i knew that i wasnā€™t buying an RFD-900 (with the size of company behind it), and was interested in seeing what @Artem_Skorsky had come up with and how i could apply it to our problem to stretch the art of the possible. The Dronee team has been very responsive to my questions, despite a very obvious language barrier, so iā€™m not ready to give up on the product yet. Iā€™ll certainly keep updating the forums as i go (especially if less than 1km turns into 20!)

Thanks
Chris