Long range UAV link 100mw for 60KM was designed and tested

My suggestion would be as follows:

1. The three way simple regulator solution @rickyg32 posted is the simplest of all for your FC, however note it only provides +5V switching.

2. For another device power redundancy, it depends on how much voltage and current you need?

If you are willing to burn money, you can look at Mauch Electronics dual battery redundant design. You can customize what output voltages you need. They will custom manufacture the outputs for 5 or 12V which is typically the requirement all devices used on UAVs.

I am using another trick where I also use two FrSky Lipo Battery monitors along with Yaapu Telemetry. This way i can keep an eye on each battery individual cells during flight (which is another cause of major failure, where one of the batteries cell voltage will drop below threshold) even with Mauch solution which doesnt offer any cell level voltage monitoring.

Mauch has new board called V3 as well with more outputs.

FrySky Lipo sensor. You have to have compatible Rx such as X8R

https://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-frsky-yaapu.html

Details on Yaapu solution…

Gal - can you shows us what you built?

Are you using this Li-ion pack in Copters or Fixed wing?

I once built one 4S but felt its not powerful enough so never tried it on a real plane.

1 Like

Built from these

Please note, the batteries are rated to 3C which means 36amp max discharge
On my little beast which uses 29amp/h and 40amp/ when I push it a bit one battery is not enough.
Though I did all my AT with only one (8000 lipo couldn’t do even 1 axis AT)

HTH

1 Like

Interesting…this is what I tried. Sorry, mine is a 6S setup.

How did you determine the C rating of each cell?

There was some guy who suggested adding balance leads so I followed his tips. He used this pack on fixed wing claims he flew for hours.

I am using NCR18650B…i dont get sufficient power…

I followed his instructions

Looks you are wring the batteries differently…

1 Like

A few things
You need to find the data sheet for your batteries where all data is shown.
From what I just read your batteries are similar to mine but they suggest not to discharge faster than 2C
If you consider that 1C is (in your case 3200mah and not 3400) it means your can use something that uses 3200ma for one hour withe 1 batter, right?

Now, in your case, your battery can safely discharge 2C, so if you now double the load on your bat with something that uses 6400ma, your battery shall last only 1/2 an hour.

Also, I see you built a 6S2P battery which theoretically should give you a 25.2v 2C 6S 6400mah.
Not enough power might mean bad soldering or incorrect wiring. Show me both sides of the soldering

My batteries are soldered with nickel stripes and a balance cables are a must have unless you use internal battery manager and that’s a no go with the chargers I use iSDT

Sounds good, I can order some new ones.

Where did you get yours from?

Is there higher than 3C out there?

1 Like

Not that I know of.
I updated my answer above

I have got some of these chinese ones claiming to be 6000 maH. Not sure as there are no spec sheets :slight_smile:

My son did the wiring :slight_smile: hopefully he did it right…

1 Like

Hi UAVSkies,
If I may suggest, don’t ever use Chinese LiOn for drone. Based on my experience I may recommend LiOn battery for drone are :
Option1: Sony 18650 VTC6 3AH with 10C max. discharge rate

Option 2: Sanyo (now become Panasonic) 18650 GA, 3400 mAH with 10A max. discharge rate

Option3: LG 18650HG2 , 3 AH with 20A max.discharge rate

I have been using those models and satisfied.

3 Likes

@ton999 Check above, i am using genuine NCR. Cost a pretty penny. These chinese one someone gave them to me.

I know I don’t trust such no name brands unless I am doing bench testing :slight_smile:

What size are you using on your quads and whats the flight time u get out of them? I know its dependent upon weight etc.

1 Like

I use only Sony/Murat 18650 vtc6 and don’t ever go to 10c. Even 4c is stretching it. Those batteries can become pretty hot and cutof is at 80celcius

1 Like

I will stick with your recommendations going forward.

You brought up a good point, “HEAT” how hot does it get? I mean the battery not… :slight_smile: This can melt a foam plane…

2 Likes

Well, you’re never supposed to get that hot unless you didn’t do the math correctly.

If you calculate your battery pack to go up to 3C, I recommend 3C to be safer than sorry.

So for example 6S 2P based on the VTC6 you get a 6200mah of which you use motors that can max pull 18amp 1c=6200 / 1000 = 6.2 amp//h. If you plane motor use for example 5amp/h in 50% throttle then your battery can last for about an hour and change

Than I would use nickel strips 1mm thickness and don’t use wires except for balance wires. Make sure you place some isolation between the sharp edges of strips to the balance wires, they are very delicate.

After soldering wrap it in cardboard from all sides to protect and hold everything in place and use strong duct tape or similar but non metal.

Hello everyone. I have a Skydroid T12, I have a problem with Skydroid Tower, I use version 6.4 all connected receiving gps telemetry with more than 6 satellites but in Tower the map does not appear, I have reviewed everything I could but I cannot find the solution. It also happens that when I start slydroid Tower it tells me there is a new version 6.6 but even if I accept it it does not update it and in google paly that version does not exist … it is all a mess. I would appreciate help. a greeting

2 Likes

Hi @Guillermo_Sanchez, your tablet supposed to be connected to the internet so QGC or tower can update the maps. If I remember correctly in tower you can select the map provier beidu or google
HTH

Same issue with mine! Google maps doesn’t work.

1 Like

I remember changing between the options a few times until it finally worked

Gal are you building batteries,
I am just about to order a bunch of 18650’s to build a battery pack. But I confess I have never built one before. I do have a spot welder and the needed supplies so hope to get at it shortly.
Here is my pack design.

Its also got a Batmon Smart battery unit mounted in the rear of it.

1 Like

WOW Ricky, that is a very beautiful design, much more sophisticated than mine.
I am not a professional… watched YT like anybody else. However I am technical…

My only suggestion is to use the Murata 18650 VTC6US. Combined with careful planning of the vehicle electrical requirements you would get exceptional results.

GL and do share some photos of the results or even some from the build.

If confirmed, you are connected to the internet. QGC if the maps work. confirmed google maps does not work, I have configured maps (Chinese server) and it works although that option is only in tower v 6.0 does not exist in version 6.4. Also say that you insist that there is a version 6.6 but even if you agree to update it does not, in Google play the latest is 6.4