Long range UAV link 100mw for 60KM was designed and tested

Marty, did you notice Frsky campaign few months ago in R9M series? price drop was huge!

price of Crossfire by Tbs dropped as well. Lrs
modular systems are coming down in price
1 Like

Yea Tom Frsky were at war with Trappy at TBS ive got the big Crossfire and its o/k but I think we have hit a winner with the skydroid and Cao is very honest which means a lot to me

Everybodyā€™s needs and usage is different. That does not mean a product is good or bad. For my own needs and usage a module bay version of this long range skydroid tech would be a huge difference. But in anycase the debate is closed as no such module is planned by Skydroid.

1 Like

Team I have put all the files Skydroid (Cao) has shared into a single repository.
Feel free to grab what you need.

2 Likes

I wanted to see how it would be to setup the controls for Expo and decided to take a deeper look into the manual. As I read through and saw the screenshots, I didnā€™t see anything about Expo and/or Differential; then I got to the FAQs and came across this:

ā€œThe important thing is said three times: m12 is not a remote control, not a remote control, not a remote control! It is the uplink and downlink serial link. Just for the convenience of use, you can do it inside a remote-control case.ā€

The gist Iā€™m getting it seems, unless Iā€™m misreading it, that itā€™s not a transmitter per se but rather a secondary hardware interface to the ground station app. This explains why thereā€™s no interface for Expo? For that matter, there is no way for me to combine 2 different switches to the same channel to achieve the different combinations of flight modes, as Iā€™m able to do in a Taranis Tx? Or maybe I donā€™t have the whole picture.

If someone would be kind enough to clarify for me.

Thanks in advance.

@rollys Merry Christmas.

ā€œThe important thing is said three times: m12 is not a remote control, not a remote control, not a remote control! It is the uplink and downlink serial link. Just for the convenience of use, you can do it inside a remote-control case.ā€
yup this pretty much sums it up. The device is not like an RC system. There is no Expo or Differential or any of the other bells and whistles like you might have with say a Taranis. Its a device that allows for the ground station app to interface with the user and the craft much like as you have described it. So if your looking for that Taranis type performance your not going to find it here. If your after a more DJI Mavic ish experience then yes. I say Ish because there are differences. It comes down to what your trying to do. The Skydroid systemā€™s roots are in commercial drone operations such as agriculture, crop spraying for instance. So their operating paradigm is very different.

1 Like

Hey @ton999 Merry Christmas.
To answer your question I fly a Mavic in an area that has been known to cause signal lose. In my local fliers group there are at least 3 Mavic pilots who all have had system disconnects in the area we fly. I have started to fly a Skydroid equipped quad in the same area flying similar flight paths with no lose of connectivity. Does this mean the Skydroid is better, I canā€™t say only that I have not lost a connection to the machine yet.

sorry I know I am sitting on the fence and the pickets are poking me in the butt, but I can only tell you my observation.

1 Like

Someone asked about Stick pressure. I am assuming the question was could you add a bit more tension to the spring such that it takes a bit more effort to move the stick. In thinking back to when I took the unit apart it uses a simple return spring if I remember right. It might be possible to shorten the spring slightly and thereby add a bit more resistance. I have not tried it nor planning on cracking the case again. But I put it out there, it might be possible

1 Like

I ask for it but Im going to give more practice until modified nothing, perhaps its that needed.

1 Like

My second Skydroid receiver arrived today as well as my Video receiver. So something to play with while the weather is miserable.
Also since I am buying a 3D printer in the new year I have started to learn 3d drawing this week and thought for kicks I would make a mount up for the receiver. I want something for the large quad I am working on, that will make it easy to place, keep the install neat and tidy. Plus there is no point trying to learn something if you have nothing to draw. So good practice

3 Likes

You bought to Aliexpress? Its possible to pay with paypal? I have to buy tree, this radio is a vicious and I dont like to move the rx from here to there lol, Im upgrading to pix my airplane now and want to give a chance to the racer too, this one fly few time but fast so I lost signal easily with standard 2.4 radio. I have a 3dprint too so we can change ideas or archives too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Rick and Cala2,great news about your receivers turning up will order a video receiver,my radio still in China ?? but really looking forward to getting it
Happy New year to my M12 friends

1 Like

Hey Cala2 yes I bought it from AliExpress. If you have any ideas on the mount for the RX please share.

I suspect I am going to buy another. Like you I donā€™t want to move it around all the time. Itā€™s a pain.

@MartyMcFly Yup the receiver is here and I will give it a try as soon as I can. I have been trying to charge it and found out that I was sent the wrong unit. I have reached out to Cao to let him know they shipped the wrong one. Also I canā€™t find that app for it.

Happy New Years to the Skydroid Family

2 Likes

Up the moment my mount is velcro to go from one to another ship lol.
HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS!!! Have nice flyings in 2019 :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have a 3D printer and use it for many useful things, but also lots of fun! Nice object you have created! What CAD program did you use?

AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

1 Like

Hey @ktrussell Happy New year.
I am ordering mine this week. So started to draw in 3d yesterday using Designspark.
I donā€™t imagine I am going to get into anything super complex so this should do. Going to get the printer ordered and then actually try printing the items I knocked together yesterday.

Exciting times we live in.

1 Like

Agreed on the exciting times! I have access to some professional CAD packages at work, but I first started my 3D designs for my printer in TinkerCAD and have really not found anything I couldnā€™t do pretty quickly with it. It is certainly a beginnerā€™s platform but I havenā€™t out grown it. Iā€™m sure Designspark is as good or better!

1 Like

hahah we shall see. I have a lot to learn. But if it gives me the ability to tweak my builds I am happy.

1 Like

Sometimes Thingiverse helps to faster your work :wink: https://www.thingiverse.com/

2 Likes

Agree! Thingiverse is awesome! There are other sites, too, but I go to Thingiverse the most.

2 Likes