Long range UAV link 100mw for 60KM was designed and tested

Several attempts have been made, and the firmware is currently stored on the online server. Ensure your PC networking

1 Like

ThankĀ“s Skydroid, finally I close the App and open again to update the reciver and works well, the issue was that I didnĀ“t close the app and was trying to connect to com Tx port, now you confirm with the traslation, thankĀ“s

1 Like

Thanks Cala2 and Skydroid for that bit of information. I added it to the manual for future users.

I managed to get flying today. i LOVE it. I have some machine issues I need to resolve but the Skydroid system worked flawlessly. I got about 3 hours or flight time from inside my truck. Had to keep warm.
The system gave me no issues.

That said itā€™s the first time I used an app to fly with and so that takes some getting use too. I got to use the one feature I love on the mavic, auto take off. Well I got to use that with the discovery quad today and it worked perfectly. Just donā€™t switch to stab while the throttle is still zero. Um not a good idea. lol.

I got to send the machine out way past where I have ever flown in the past. Which was exciting for me. I am not a long range pilot so donā€™t look to me to prove the unit works out to 60km I will never do anything like that.
I need to do some tuning on the quad itself. but the Skydroid system. just awesome.

3 Likes

You fly three hours? :o That on one flight?

1 Like

I wish.
No I get about 25 minute per battery. I just took lots of batteries.

2 Likes

Congrats Ricky! Skydroid system really is stable as rock. No telemetry losts or unstable link. If signal is in line of sight then you have really, really, and I mean really long area to work. With quad/hexas performance of it is more than you can use. Fixed wings works fine of course, because they have much more capability to fly distant missions.

2 Likes

what size batteries you use ?

1 Like

you will get more than enough range if there arenā€™t very high powered interference located near your area. 100mw as given parameter if pretty low signal power, so itā€™ll get problems easily. I tested M12L in low interference environment and got 17km range easily with default antennas.

I am using LIHV 4s 5200 MAH and get about 22 minutes or so. If I push it to the limit I can do a bit better.
The Skydroid system allowed me to loose a bit of weight, Lost the telemetry modem and since I went Pixracer I dropped the LED indicator as well as the lost RC beeper. Not a lot of weight but every little bit helps.

1 Like

I loose lot of weight in my updated unit too and skydroid helps too, I had a heavy dragon+telem+ antennas add to other improvements that I just finished, and the add that less components and antennas to acomodate on the frame I have to measure consumption now as soon as crazy wind reduce intensityā€¦

1 Like

Ah yes I lost the antenna as well, Forgot about that.
Hey I was going to ask. When using qGroundcontrol and you use the takeoff button the machine climbs to about 10 meters. Works great, but of course I am use to flying in Stab mode and I switch to Stab and the machine falls from the sky. The reason is the throttle is at zero. I am wondering how to prevent that.
Was thinking of switching to Poshold. But thought I would ask someone that has used the app more then me.

cheers

1 Like

Raise your throttle to mid when you are flying auto modes as rutine to avoid that.

1 Like

Ya thats what I thought. Just was looking for some safety step or mode. Something to help make it idiot proof. I need all the help I can get.

1 Like

Fast trained fingers lol, You not are alone with that issue I learn to raise thr in the worse manner :wink:

1 Like

Here there is some info about Tower if someone want to use Skydroid vers but is unfamiliar with the App https://diydrones.com/m/group?id=705844%3AGroup%3A1991055

1 Like

I honestly hope my scepticism proves wrong. Iā€™ve been waiting long time for a reliable long range system. Iā€™m following this blog with interest and can see also a lot of work has to be done in terms of translation from Chinese to English before you can successfully market this system. Looks like it is still in a kind of developing stage.

1 Like

I think I found a small project for this week if the weather turns bad.
I am sure I can come up with one that would work for the Skydroid.

1 Like

Up to now Im only find not traslate the update firm but very easy with skydroid instructios, as ground control I use mission planner to calibrate and works well up to now, (radio calibration, compass cal, acel cal, flight modes, no issues yet, others try qgcontrol too, and tower Im not try them yet, the radio calibration App is traslated, only one minor window I found in chinnese, in default settings, Im going to check all windows and send to skydroid to traslate if anyone else appears.

1 Like

very very nice, congratulations for the success of this fantasctico result.

1 Like

This morning I added how to tighten the Tablet/Phone mount on the Skydroid Hand Held Unit.
Not sure there is much else that can be added now. But will keep the file open for additional input.

cheers

3 Likes