Lidar Depth control on lego submarine

I asked a while ago if anyone has ever tested a lidar underwater but didnt get any answers, but it turns out they do work.

3 Likes

Really cool bit of engineering in that little submarine!

Very cool that the LIDAR seems unaffected by the acrylic (or polycarbonate).

1 Like

I have always wanted to build a sub, il get around to it one day.

I had thought about it before since I have a waterproof lidar (the tfmini plus), but I never got around to actually placing it in water.

1 Like

if I could avoid obstacles.I was wondering if I could get the terrain underwater with a scanning radar

radar won’t work underwater as the radio waves get absorbed by the water.

Why is single-point obstacle avoidance possible?

Why is single-point obstacle avoidance possible? I mean LIDAR

The lidar will only work in very clear water like a pool, as soon as it gets murky it won’t be able to give a distance, sonar works better as it can see through murky water. you can do it with a sonar module and a servo

But how does sonar data form an overall 3D underwater terrain map?

i used to use a UAV with a visible light camera to shoot on the ground, and later came out with a new laser radar to scan the ground. The principle of laser radar is also a lot of points for ranging, to obtain the position of the obstacle, as long as the point is enough, it will be inverted into a three-dimensional skeleton model. In theory, it should be possible to form underwater terrain similar to point clouds, but I don’t know if there are such tools and technologies.

you can do a phased array.