KISS ESC Configurator

Hi, I’m using FETtec 65A 3-8S 4-in-1 ESC with the Kakute H7 V2 FC .

I’m trying to connect to the KISS configurator to reverse the direction of one of the motors, but am unable to connect here: FETtec Configurator

Is there a parameter that needs to be modified on the ardupilot end that would allow me to connect to the configurator?

Other than what is shown in the docs?
Fettec

1 Like

Thanks - I hadn’t seen this. I got the configurator to work but I have one more question.

Per the doc, I set Serial7_Protocol = 38 and Serial7_options = 0 to use FETtex_OneWire and SERVO_FTW_MASK = 15. I also updated BATT_MONITER = 9 to use ESC telemetry.

When rebooting the FC, I’m getting the following error:

“PreArm: FETtec: 4 of 4 ESCs are not running”

Any thoughts?

8sQuad.param (19.6 KB)

The ESCs need to be configured for FETtec protocol, not PWM, not D-Shot, not One-Shot.
That is done on the configurator.

I’m still unable to connect to the configurator (I spoke too soon in the last post). I’m connecting to the correct com port with the battery plugged in, but am still getting the connection error below. Is there any other parameter that needs to be updated on the Ardupilot end to enable communication with the configurator?

I never tested serial pass_thru with the FETtec. I always connect them directly to a KISS FC to program them with the configurator.

See this in the Docs Troubleshooting section?

ESCs are not found in FETtec configurator.

A halfduplex 2MBaud/s serial connection is required for the use with the FETtec configurator, which is currently not supported by ArduPilot. You need to use a external serial device like a FETtec FC or a USB serial adapter. Please disconnect the ArduPilot FC from the ESCs to find it in the FETtec configurator.

2 Likes

@Dave I was just about to post that, you beat me to it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out Dave. Would this work? DSD TECH SH-U09C USB to TTL Serial Adapter

If so would you be able to advise on the pinout connections to the esc? Other than VCC and GND it’s unclear to me what the other connections would look like. Thanks

If you only need to reverse the motor direction I think you can do that in Arducopter w/o a configurator as per the Wiki doc. Set the FTW Mask and then use the SERVO_FTW_RVMASK to select which ones to reverse.

I don’t have a FETTec ESC, simply reading the available documentation.

It was just one motor that needed to be reversed so I just ended up swapping/resoldering the wires on that one.

Right now I’m trying to troubleshoot the ardupilot error that I get on boot up: “PreArm: FETtec: 4 of 4 ESCs are not running”

What flight controller?

Kakute H7 V2 FC

Use a DMA enabled serial port.
Kakute H7

1 Like

So instead of serial7 (default esc telemtry port) I need to connect esc telem wire to either serial 1,2 4, or 6 - is that correct?

Yes, as it says in the docs under serial connection.

1 Like

Got it thanks - will give that a try

I’m already using Serial 1 for DJI Rx, 4 for GPS and 6 for receiver Rx. Can I move receiver Rx to serial3 (set Serial3_protocol = 23) so that I can use 6 for esc telem?

Maybe, unless your RC protocol requires DMA.

Looks like I should be ok. Using CRSF: