Kakute F7 AIO S.Port Telemetry

Hi, download and install ardupilot code from “latest” folder. Use option 10 - to set inversion and half duplex protocol. Solder s.port wire to the tx pin on the usart port you used. Load yaapu7 or yaapu9 script on your taranis. It should work.
It works for sure on kakute f7 but should also work on any f7 FC. F4 FCs only will work if they have hardware inverters and will require custom hwdef configuration.

Hi, Paul. This was my first try and didn’t work. Later I saw this new parameter. Did you change the parameter SERIAL4_OPTIONS (or other number) or no?

Hi, u set that options param to value … Hmm… 7 i think
I am not by computer now

here is the PR with the code change for that feature:

Paul… I didn’t understand… I got this link from Holybro support:

But in the link you passed me, the author said I can use one wire to connect to FrSky Receiver. I’m using R9 Slim and R9 Mini receivers (Some R9 MM on the way). So, I don’t have to connect the SBUS OUT on receiver to RX6 on Kakute? I did not understand this wiring scheme… :frowning:

Can you please tell me all your wiring connections? Thanks again!

Best regards!

Weird info. My “smaller board” (non-AIO) Kakute F7 definitely has an OSD onboard. It’s the regular 7456 used everywhere.

Ok, i am not sure what is a F7 with no osd. I
A usual f7 kakute is set for atducopter having betaflight in mind.
Rx pin on uart6 is set for sbus in. Radio in.
Using last code you xan use uart6 tx also, set inversion option to 7, protocol option to 10 and that will do frsky passthrough telemetry link with taranis radio. You need to load yaapu lua script into radio. Google it for details. I use r-xsr, its s.port pin is inverted, so it needs option 7.

So, one wire is used for radio in - sbus to rx pin on uart6. S.port pin for telemetry goes to tx pin of uart6, and needs uart6 switched to half-duplex inverted.

Man, my setup is exactly as yours, but my receiver is R9 Slim. Maybe this receiver have something different. I already have telemetry working on Pixracer R14 and Navio2, but with Navio2 I don’t use Yaapu yet. I think Holybro docs are wrong. They should put “without pdb”, not osd. I will try with a X series receiver. Thanks again… :+1:

It should not be receiver dependent. You only need tx pin set to half-duplex and protocol 10 for pass-through.

I’ve just tried with a X4R receiver and did now work too… Paul, are you using Taranis with OpenTX 2.2.2 and Yaapu 9? Are you using UART Tx6 for telemetry, as Holybro recommends, or are using another port number?

Can u pls explain connections u made and post your parameters file?
Yes, my setup is same.

Hello!
I recorded a video showing my connections:

The params file can be downloaded in the link:

https://maroquio.com/files/Maroquio.KakuteF7AIO.Arducopter.3.7.latest.param.zip

Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks!

I’ve just answered you… Thanks!

hi, i am not sure what is the deal there. it should work with what you got. i am really not sure why you get nothing.
try flashing this file, if you used standard one - it is a same one, this is what i use on my F7 models.
i hope it has same motors order, so double check how motors will fire up with it flashed in.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jMDAlrj7uYI2fUslr5Qc5z4sukIqE4oF/view?usp=sharing

on r-xsr i usually connect sbus.out to RX6 and TX6 connects to s.port. SERIAL6_OPTIONS,7 means we invert both rx/tx and 3rd bit sets half-duplex protocol to work on TX6. as i did not try it on that r9 slim - i am not sure what it may want. try to google if any software/firmware update is needed for taranis and that module. check if it indeed uses an inverted s.port input - if not, instead of 7 you can try non-inverted value of 4.

do you at least get RX part working? do you get sbus input from the radio recognized on the RX6? it has nothing to do with the telemetry setting and must work.

Hi! Yes… Rx6 is working to receive sbus out. I will try to use some different firmware. In 2 weeks I will receive the R9 mm, that have an uninverted s.port. What is this file in the link? Is it your Arducopter firmware? Why the apj extension?

You can flash .apj file with the MP program.

Hi…
I’ve tried with your firmware but it did not work too. I will wait the R9 MM arrive and do the last try. If it does not work, I will abandon Kakute F7. Anyway, thanks a lot, Paul.
Regards!

Hi, everyone.
So… My R9 MM arrived today and it have a Inverted S.Port pin. I used it and now telemetry works on my Taranis. R9 Slim definitely did not work. R9 MM worked using Rx6/Tx6 with SERIAL6_PROTOCOL=10 and SERIAL6_OPTIONS=4. Thanks to Paul Atkin for helping me try…
Regards!

1 Like

no prob, glad it worked out… but, it is very odd for r9 slim not to work. it should have not been any difference.

Yes, I agree. Anyway, R9 MM fits better in my assembly and is 2g lighter. :slight_smile:
Regards!

So just to close the loop on this because I have a Kakute F7 AIO coming and using an R9 slim. On the standard Sbus output it would be Serial6_option 7 right?