Kakute F7 AIO, "enable compass" greyed out

If the SE100 is the radiolink compass gps unit then I have one working well with F7 AIO. And it was a little shy (the compass) when soldered up. I think from memory it got found when the calibration start button in MP was pushed and it allowed itself to be calibrated. Prior to this the box further up the same screen page could not be checked. Greyed out.

Hi all, same problem here. I have a kakute f7 v1.2 and a gps+compass module M8t LIS3MDL. With AC3.6.11 everything is fine but with AC 4.0.0 rc2 the “enable compasses” box is unticked and when I try to tick it a message appears: “This feature is not available with your firmware” and I got BAD AHRS and BAD COMPASS HEALTH. It seems to me that the firmware does not recognize the compass. I opened a bug report @rmackay9 ?

Hi @FilippoFranchini,

This is not really a problem, we’ve removed the MAG_ENABLE parameter entirely from Copter-4.0 and I’ve raised an issue just now for MP to remove the checkbox entirely.

Hi @rmackay9 thank you for the explanation! One question: why then the compass is not working? Is there something wrong with the compatibility of LIS3MDL and AC 4.0.0 for the kakute F7? With AC 3.6.11 I have no problems but as soon as I install AC 4.0.0 rc2 I have the messages BAD AHRS and COMPASS NOT HEALTHY. When I try to calibrate the compass the percentage bar is not showing any progress.

@FilippoFranchini, ok, so this is because of the LIS3MDL driver is not enabled for the KakuteF7. This is not a bug but rather because we need to limit the firmware size to fit. I suspect we can get the LIS3MDL in there though so I’ll add it to the to-do list.

Hi @rmackay9 thank you for your reply. I was able to get the 4.0.0 rc2 working on my quadcopter using an old gps m8n + compass module. Not sure which compass is but it works fine. Great work of AP team, the new AC firmware is impressive and making it possible on smaller boards such as the kakute allowed to spare so much weight!
Cheers!

1 Like