Just got a Cube Orange, looking for recommendations on a good GPS/Compass combo (non-RTK)

Title. I was about to buy an M8N in an enclosure off of Amazon, but noticed that there were two cables for it, not one like I was expecting there to be. They are also both JST-SH, not JST-GH like I need to interface to the cube carrier board. Does anyone have any recommendations for what to use with the Cube Orange for non-RTK work? I’m willing to pay more for a better product, I just don’t need RTK accuracy for a simple QuadPlane.

Here 3 all day long just works with the cube orange

1 Like

I’m seeing those for about $125 + shipping, which seems like quite a premium for that RTK capability. I do have some budgetary constraints for the entire project, so I was thinking under $75 or so to avoid having to cheap out on other components or delay the whole thing while I work for more money to put into it. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to have a Here3, and I’m sure that it does work excellently with the cube, I just know my budgetary limits at the moment.

1 Like

Would this one work, or is the cable wrong? https://www.getfpv.com/holybro-pixhawk-4-neo-m8n-gps.html

Maybe have a look at the Hollybro ones I beleive they work very well and they have a selection something like this there are others and good luck with your project.
https://www.3dxr.co.uk/autopilots-c2/holybro-pixhawk-4-gps-module-p2931

1 Like

Thanks, will do. One unrelated question that maybe you can answer: What are the pin groups for switching outputs to Dshot? I can see in the documentation that they exist and how many pins are in each group, but not which pins they are.

1 Like

I really dont no best to ask some one like Andy piper about D shot he really no’s all the D shot stuff

1 Like

Okay, I’ll try to get in touch with him. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

That info is in the Hwdef file. And that GPS module won’t plug in to the Cube carrier board. You will need to make a cable. Look at some CAN interface modules. Matek makes some.

Hwdef

2 Likes

Hi Dave I agree about the can module GPS,but that GPS i posted will fit into the GPS 1 port of the cube orange,im only thinking of his budget as ultimately a Here 3 can would be best as I originaly posted and the better the gps the better the experience

1 Like

Great GPS M9N - 5883

2 Likes

Ah OK Marty. I may have been looking at the wrong carrier for the Cube Orange. Thanks for the correction!

2 Likes

I looked for M9N - 5883 on matek, and ended up on getfpv.com. Looks good, I think I’ll go with that, and maybe get a Here3 when I’ve got the budget to do so down the line. It does seem like I need to use the GPS 2 port with the M9N instead of the GPS 1 port, but that’s fine.

1 Like

Hi,
I rewired one of those cheaper GPS modules you are looking at to work with my Cube Orange and Carrier Board. Works fine.
See my comments here

Happy to chat if you need help :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Paul

3 Likes

Thanks! I ended up ordering this one https://www.getfpv.com/matek-system-m9n-5883-gnss-compass-gps.html, and I’m just planning on using it in the GPS2 port, and probably getting a Here3 when I have the money to down the line. I will definitely reach out if I need any assistance though. Thanks!

1 Like

Well, I’ve got my M9N-5883 now, and it won’t talk to my Cube. The Compass will talk, but the GPS will not. I’ve tried rooting around in the GPS param tree and manually enabling GPS1 and GPS2 as “AUTO”, but it still won’t pick up. It is connected to the GPS2 port on the board, and I confirmed via the board schematics that TX on the board goes to RX on the GPS and vice versa. Any suggestions on what else to do? All I get is “GPS: NO GPS” in MP.

Edit: Got it! I just had to manually set GPS2 to “MTK” instead of “AUTO”. I still have a message about “GPS: NO GPS”, but now I also have “GPS2: No Fix”, which I would expect because I am inside at the moment.

Perhaps not. MTK is a protocol, and not the right one for that module.

1 Like

Oh. What should I be selecting then? Just “Auto” didn’t seem to do it.

Auto should work and so should uBlox.

1 Like

Huh. I just tried Auto again, and then Ublox, and both don’t see the GPS.