Is this model too small for ArduPlane?

I’ve been flying fixed-wing for almost 40 years, and helis and multicopters for about 10. Over the past 2 years or so I’ve converted my helis and a hexacopter to Aurducopter, and am now considering doing the same with ArduPlane on one of my fixed-wing models.

The plane I’m considering is the Eclipson Model B which I’ve already flown a couple of times. My question is, is this model too small to be upgrading in this manner, with full GPS capabilities?

it should be fine, something like a 405 mini wing controller would be ideal for it.

along with a mini M10 GPS
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006070014889.html

Thanks geofrancis. I plan to use a Matek F405 which I’ve already got – there’s enough room in the fuselage for it. I was just curious whether its small size (by my standards – all my other models are about 6ft wingspan) would be a disadvantage.

There is nothing fundamentally different about it, it will need some tuning as it will probably be quite sluggish on stock settings as they will be set for turning rates of a larger aircraft.

Sluggish sounds good to me :laughing: Thanks again geofrancis.

if you’re used to traditional RC planes here’s a couple of tips:

• Be ready with manual mode because you might not like flying in FBWA right away if you aren’t used to it. It doesn’t bug me at all, but some of my fixedwing RC friends get really freaked out at first. They feel the plane is “fighting” them.
  • Turn off the RC trims on your radio. Set SERVO_AUTO_TRIM,1 and let it do the work. If you check the trims after and see the SERVOx_TRIM is way out, you might want mechanically adjust it, but if you’ve flown the plane RC already then it’s probably fine.
  • First use SERVOx_REVERSED to get the servos going the right way for the stabilized flight mode (FBWA, etc), then use the radio or RCx_REVERSED to get the manual controls working in the right direction. Don’t worry if you need to reverse both, that happens.
  • No, seriously, turn off the RC trims on your radio.
3 Likes

In workshops for newcomers, I have recommended configuring Stabilize as a flight mode later on. FBWA is important for the initial configuration / Maiden flight etc. but is very restrictive for users who are used to manual flying. Most users were able to get along well with Stabilize.

1 Like

Thanks for you inputs Allistair and Reinhard. I had to ask Google what FBWA means :laughing: I had envisaged having ‘manual’ and ‘stabilised’ as my two main switched modes with ‘loiter’ or ‘RTL’ as options later, but I’ll follow your advice about using FBWA for initial flights.

I’ll be setting up a new model in my transmitter, so all controls will be nominal before I start programming, just as I’ve done with my rotary models.

I have flown the Eclipson Model A with a flight controller, which may be even smaller than the Model B. It was a great way to learn and experience all the different modes of ArduPlane.

Thanks Mike. A flying buddy has the Model A, and it certainly looks smaller than the B. From this brief thread I’ve already noted that there are different flight modes from the ones I’m used to.

Hi Allan,

Small aircraft are no problem for arduplane. I have been flying a small Mini SkyWalker for years with a lot of pleasure and full equipment:

As a flight controller I recommend the Mateksys H743-Slim, which is also capable of running LUA scripts.

For a while, I even had a Raspberry Pi0 with an LTE stick installed.

Rolf

3 Likes

I’m flying an Eclipson Model A with Ardupilot, it has a Kakute F4 FC and BN-220 gps.

Also I have a 3Dlabprint spitfire with a Matek F405 WMN in it & a BN-220 GPS. Goal here is to have small scale planes running Ardupilot. I also have a ZOHD drift with the same setup. I keep the setup simple defaults usual work just fine. Only thing I would recommend doing an autotune.

These small FC are only a little bit more money then a gyro, but do so much more.

Thank you for those comments. My reason for starting with a smaller model is (a) I can print another one when I crash and (b) I do find flying a small aircraft more challenging than my larger ones.!

1 Like

… and vice versa.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to reveal one of aviation’s best-kept secrets here :wink:

Rolf

2 Likes

I used to fly one of the little 30cm free flight gliders with a 2800kv 2805 motor on 3s, it was wild.

I’m currently converting one of these FX707S free flight gliders to a twin motor with a micro wing controller, at £20 they are very cheap and have all the cut outs for servos and motors already there. and enough space inside for a full flight controller if you look on thingverse there are a lot of 3d printed parts including motor mounts,

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, I have a STRIX Nano Goblin running ArduPlane on an F405-WMN. Flight time well over 40 minutes on a 2s 18650 Li-Ion.

1 Like

All those replies are very encouraging, thanks. All I’ve got to do now is figure out why my GPS is not recognised . . . .

is tx connected to rx, and rx to tx,
is only one serial port set to GPS.
is the gps type set to auto.

Thanks GeoMuir. I tried swapping Tx and Rx, but same result. But, when checking that the correct port was configured for GPS I did notice that another one was also set for GPS. I’ll change that tomorrow and see if that’s the problem. I’m pretty sure GPS type was set to auto, but I’ll check that too.

1 Like

I’ve got a strange issue now: I’ve had to reverse SERVOx for all three control channels to get the stabilisation movements working the right way, so I’ve then had to reverse the corresponding RCx channels to get manual controls working the right way. All’s fine for elevator and rudder, but when I reverse RC3 (the aileron channel) Ardupilot arms (I’ve got arming checks off at the moment, and no motor installed) and then immediately gives a short beep and goes to flashing green instead of steady green, and stops responding. No channels are reversed in my transmitter.

Attached is the param file in case anyone can see what might be causing this behaviour.

Model B initial setup.param (19 KB)