Is the Sky Viper Journey SE copter/transmitter pair user upgradeable to Ardupilot?

Yes, I looked up the Orange DSM2 on ebay after your last message and it motivated the question of where do you put it on a Journey? Attach to the outside? I haven’t taken a Journey apart but I’m assuming connection is easy enough but if it means sacrificing other functionality I’d have to weigh the costs and benefits. But this is definitely the question I need to have answered and the Radiomaster looks like a fit. The nice thing about wifi is that the ground control station also doesn’t need new costly hardware. Have you seen the Mission Planner Android App? How would one connect a telemetry radio to that? USB? Then where does the charger plug in? With mobile being so popular, I’m assuming solutions to this are being developed as I write! So it’s really looking like a lower priority item ATM but I’ll def keep my eye open for a deal on a Radiomaster. Thanks!

No need to attach any module to the Journey. The radios are compatible.
See:

1 Like

The key phrase was “with the existing reciever”.

1 Like

Thanks, @grone. My next move was to do a site search, assuming this issue had long been dealt with. I’m only really back on this project because I’ve finally got hardware to play with so lots of things to get up to speed on. I even picked up an old Pixhawk and accessories so that I’ve got something more general purpose to fuss with that could be used on another style of copter or maybe a rover.

BTW I can’t thank you ALL enough, including all those who have put ArduPilot together. I probably wouldn’t be here if it weren’t the SkyViper GPS units and for sure if there wasn’t an open source project like ArduPilot that isn’t just for aircraft. I’m a little late to the party but there are more coming and maybe this thread will help a bit.

Yep, but I don’t want to lock myself into something just because my first units were entry level. I’m not in a rush for this and luckily there are many other things to spend money on lol.

"But this is definitely the question I need to have answered and the Radiomaster looks like a fit. "

Hi folks, quick update. Amazon’s replacement for the SE arrived from California and…it was also an SE. So it has gone back too and the refunds are done. Their ad still says Journey 1849 (the Ardupilot version) so, for those who want to order one, make sure that is what you get and not the SE. I was able to get 2 1849’s used (but like new units with good batteries) for not much more than a new one, so I’m set. Thanks for the help. Looking forward to really start messing around when the snow melts.

just some reference pics of the insides of the SE, i dont have the non SE version for comparasion, but based on the hardware specs listed on the site here its clearly different. hope this helps for this discussion.

1 Like

In case anyone is having troubles getting the SkyVipter GPS to work with Copter-4.3.0 please comment over here and/or try setting these parameters to see if it helps.

• SERVO5_FUNCTION = -1
  • SERVO6_FUNCTION = -1

Thanks!

FYI @grone