Is it correct way to upload firmware offline?

Hello.

as I operate my VTOL on south pacific ship, I’m worrying about uploading firmware to autopilot.

if something wrong on FC, I may have to reset the firmware, but if there is no internet connection, I can’t do that.

below is what I understand. could you find any problem on this procedure? :

(1) my VTOL uses arduplane 4.3.0 version. and I don’t want to change firmware versions without maker’s approval.
so I downloaded .apj and .hex file here :
https://firmware.ardupilot.org/Plane/stable-4.3.0/

my VTOL uses Pixhawk Orange Plus.

(2)and uploade .apj file, not .hex file

(3)wait until complete message, and connect, and upload back up parameter.

above procedure is correct…?

Yes it is correct. But before uploading the backup parameters, compare them. There might be no need to upload them at all. And doing firmware updates converts and updates the parameters automatically already. In most situations is counter productive to upload an old parameter set into a newer firmware. You will just break the automated parameter conversion, an get old, outdated parameters.

For example you might end up activating EKF2. And you don’t want that.

1 Like

Keep in mind you dont want to upload any old calibration parameters - edit the param file and take out everything you didnt specifically change or tune.
A fresh build should still run through the mandatory calibrations, and those new values shouldnt be overwritten.

Where there are “enable” parameters involved, the extra related parameters wont be updated until you write your param file a second time. Best to reboot in between writes.