Interfacing with the Raspberry Pi [Pi-Connect]

Following on from my Kakute F4 carrier board for Raspberry Pi, I’ve now generalised and improved the design to fit any flight controller.

It’s called the “Pi-Connect” and has:

• 5.1 / 3.5A power supply for the Pi (takes in 7-30V input via a Molex Nanofit connector)
  • JST-GH connector for connection to flight controller telemetry port (though I can provide a JST-GH to DF13 cable for Pixhawk users)
  • 2x powered UARTs for connecting to other devices on the vehicle
  • ADC for voltage monitoring (2x used for board voltage rails, 3x spare)
  • Overcurrent and ESD protection
  • Fits the uHAT specification (size and screw holes match a Raspberry Pi / Zero)

It doesn’t require any special software or drivers on the Raspberry Pi - just a few extra lines to /boot/config.txt. However, I am creating a small web interface to manage the telemetry streams, network and analog ports.

I’ve launched a small Indigogo for the board so I can do a small production run (plus board certifications). So if you’re interested, go to https://igg.me/at/piMdxRo2YBg/x/2660470#/ to order a board!

3 Likes

Nice board!

Couldn’t your web GUI improve AP_Web or companion?

1 Like

The Web GUI I’m developing uses node.js, so not directly compatible with AP_Web. However, it (the Web GUI) should be able to run on any Linux-based companion computer, so it won’t be locked to my board.

Once I’ve got my Web GUI code cleaned up and stable, I’ll release it under the GPL anyway - so anyone will be able to use it. Intent is to make it fairly generic, with sub-pages for network management, serial port management, analog port viewing and system status.

2 Likes

Dear @stephendade ,
Can I use an LTE Hat and on top of that the Rpanion Pi-Connect board?
Something like this:

I see that both of them use GPIO Pin 27 but I would prefer such an LTE HAT instead of a USB stick on my setup.

They both use GPIO26, mapped to PWROFF on the Pi. This is an output from the Pi, so safe for both boards to use it.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!