I need help! HARDWARE components for an Autonomous Rover

Hi! I am working on an Autonomous Metal Detector and I don’t know what hardware to use… I have a raspberry pi model 2b and an Arduino Uno Rev 3 and a neo-6m gps module. Can I do anything with that using mission planner? If I need something else like a hat for my raspberry, or a different board to control the gps and the motors, what is the cheapest option?

I have two 6v Pololu DC motors.

Thank you :))

You can do something but you need a flight controller before either of those.
Cheapest option isn’t the best priority but a Matek H743-Wlite would be a good low cost option.
You will also need an RC system to get the Rover running properly (or at all) even if your eventual plan is to not use one.
After that, then consider what you need the Pi and Ardudino for.
A neo-6m is very old tech.

1 Like

Or the easiest solution. Right now I am controlling it using a motor driver the TB6612FNG, the arduino and a Bluetooth Module, the HM-10. I’m also using the dabble app on my iPhone to control it but I want to switch to the mission planer to make it autonomous.

Then you need a Flight Controller that supports Ardurover.
Mission Planner

Do you have any suggestions for that? That should be all I need to get or do I need a better GPS module?

I made that suggestion. Get an M8N or M10 module that has a compass. Sticking with the cheap theme a Flywoo GM10 Pro module will work.

1 Like

It’s a new domain for me :)) Thanks a lot! :+1:

If your intent is to precisely locate detected objects, precision GPS (RTK) may be warranted, also. That will significantly add to the cost of your project.

Alternatively, you could outfit the Rover with a marking paint can or other physical means to make a mark on the ground, which would make standard GPS probably good enough to trace back and find the “breadcrumbs.”

In any case, as Dave said, the Neo-6M is probably a poor solution.

1 Like

So I can basically use any flight controller? I found the
JIYI P2 Multirotor Autopilot Flight Control System for like 35 dollars with everything I need. Or the Naza-M lite for 55 dollars.

Yeah, those GPS are like 200 dollars :smiling_face_with_tear:

Choose from this list.

https://ardupilot.org/rover/docs/common-autopilots.html

Otherwise you’re just wasting the small budget you already have.

And if you pick the cheapest possible option, you’ll likely be disappointed. I fully concur with Dave’s recommendation above for a Matek H743 WLITE (or Wing).

1 Like

I really appreciate :smiley:

Neither of those will work with Ardupilot.

1 Like