How to configure flaps on takeoff?

Hi, i been using arduplane and the takeoff flight mode for a while now with great success in multiple platforms but never with flaps… Now i been using a new plane with flaps and so far i been launching it manually without takeoff mode. This particular plane benefits greatly from the flaps during the take off, not only that, is almost a must.
I configured everything as i always do and proceeded to test it without flying… i shake the plane, the motor start, elevator raises, ailerons try to level but the flaps don´t deploy.

I have configured TKOFF_FLAP_PCNT at 50%, i also control the flaps with a 3 position switch but as far as i see in the documentation it should take the greater value:

" Autopilot Output Functions — Plane documentation"

Is there anything else that should i configure? is this value speed dependant as other automated flight modes?

Thanks in advance.
Sorry about my poor English.
Regards.

Make sure the servo function is set to FlapAuto (3) not Flap (2). If that’s not the problem, then post your parameter file.

1 Like

Thanks a lot, i have misinterpreted this in the documentation and set the servo output as 2 instead of 3.

I have a following question to avoid any unintended behaviour, since this option enables the automatic flaps function in other automatic flight modes, disabling FLAP_1_PERCNT and FLAP_2_PERCNT is enough to avoid any flaps use in any flight modes other than takeoff?

Thanks again.
Regards.

Limiting flap use to TO is bad idea. Ardupilot will use flaps depending on speed, if you don’t command speed below flap1 Ardupilot won’t deploy flaps. If you do you wanted flaps because ideally they are needed at that speed.

Hi, in this particular case the plane flies great without flaps, I only use them during takeoffs, some landings, and when i find a thermal in manual mode. I don’t intend to use the flaps in automated flight modes because the plane becomes more floatier but less efficient.

This plane is a pusher and it tends to dip the nose with the motor until sufficient airspeed is reached after the manual throw. With half flaps and half motor the model does not dip the nose anymore and this is why i looking for doing this in this particular way.

Beyond that i totally understand and appreciate your advice.

Thanks for your time.
Regards.

You could not use flap configuration other than takeoff flaps and then use manual switch in other cases.
PS if you have aero data for your plane with and without flaps you could pick speeds where deploying flaps is beneficial.

Have you seen this video?

The usual way to counteract a dip on the launch is to add elevator, not flaps. And then reduce elevator once the flight is underway.

Yes, I seen that video, even more, that is the plane i fly, a Ranger 757-8.
I know about the elevator on take off, but in my limited experience, the flaps works better in this particular plane with my setup.