How About a V2450GPS Mod Thread . . . Post Yours

I know I shouldn’t carry on the antenna discussion. But just want to let you know my transmitter Antenna mod came alot earlier than thought :grin: so cracked on with it .

Been out a tested it and a definite improvement. lost sight well before I lost signal, which never happened before. Also thought it was alot more responsive. Going out tomorrow to do a proper range test.

@lordneeko you can by tablet holders on eBay. I have seen them . Tho if they compatible or can be adapters to fit the sv controler I’m not sure.

1 Like

Yeah that’s the point. If I buy a Taranis, and use that for my SV, then I could get one. Just wondering is anyone out there has a SV controller solution (plus, SV is about to put out 4 new models with the exact same controller)

Looks good. What kind of wire did you use interall to connect the board to the antenna? the one that is in there won’t connect to that.

Also,

lost sight well before I lost signal

Woah! I got giddy when I read that lol

By the way, when do you think you’ll start this? I’m really interested in a re-framing and convert to brushless. But I’m extremely new to this. I feel the SV internals are a great collection (for a cheap flyer) but want something where the motors will be stronger and more reliable. So I’m really interested in seeing this build. Keep us posted! Maybe a Blog post instead of here.

I am sure there maybe a few universal ones I’ll have a look for you see what I can find .

An i used the lead that came with the antenna (see pic in previous post). Fitted perfectly.
An yes from day one I always lost signal before I lost sight of it. Don’t know why. Tho was just a dot when it lost signal. Now I don’t have a clue where it is lol. Tho I sent it out full throttle in one direction for about a min before I called it back. So was well out of eye sight, so I don’t actually know how far I went.

As for the reframe , I’m still waiting on the frame to come. I’ve received everything I ordered from China except the frame. Once it is here I’ll do a new thread on the build. tho I’ll be sticking to brushed motors, just be direct drive. Tho I will definitely be keeping everyone updated

great read. thanks.
Can you post the link where you ordered the antenna? thanks.

Had a look about for a tablet mount . Now it’s only a suggestion, tho I don’t see why this wouldn’t work. If you remove the foam from the stock phone mount you woild be able to secure this mount within it…

You could for extra security even screw the base to the stock phone holder.

Tho only issue i could see is it being weighty to hold with out some sort of support.

And here is the link to the antenna…

2 Likes

@Leztec . . . Looks like you put the controller dummy “antenna” to good use. Always wondered what SkyRocket had in mind for its location. Also, why did you choose 5dBi? What are your plans for the phone holder?
BTW . . . my “fly-away insurance” has paid off for the second time . . . got a call from someone who found my SV . . . LOL . . . the Tx said “RTL” but the SV never came home (at least not to my home)

EDIT:
It appears that what thought to be a dummy antenna on Tx may in fact be a strut to help keep the Tx & Smartphone duo from falling over?

Thanks and No particular reason I used a 5dbi antenna, was just cheap. So if it didn’t work was no real loss haha.

I don’t have any plans for phone holder, as I don’t use my phone. As hard to look at a phone through fpv goggles lol. Was just giving lordneeko a suggestion as he was asking about a tablet holder.

An glad to hear you got your sv back . Maybe I should take a leaf out your book.

I have not tested my home made antenna yet but I went and ordered the one you posted just to get one.$2.15 can’t be beat. Not to derail the discussion but I just got the clone of the DJI F450 frame. Would be cool to mod the SV boards to fit and figure out how to incorporate brushless motors.

@Dude . . . I don’t plan on pursuing brushless with these electronics but I’m all ears on transplanting the SV guts on to the absolute lightest frame possible. 27% of the stock flight weight is airframe plastic.

@Leztec . . . since you now have an extra antenna (out of Tx) perhaps you can plug it into your SV flight controller and report back to us?

Controller antenna in the flight controller does not work just drops signal after two feet. Don’t know why.

Tho a update on the reframe.
DON’T DO IT :joy:
frame came this morning spent best part of afternoon reframing and taking pics to do a thread on it.

But pointless as this is end result…

Just not enough lift. Going to order a different frame and not see if that works . As it works for other sv’s. As I got the idea from here…

Did you go through the web interface and recalibrate everything? What messages are you getting from it?

Also MOT_THST_EXPO is set at -0.56 Remove the minus sign and see if it makes a difference. That value was tuned specifically for the 2450GPS frame.

I did recalibrate everything . The props just not able to produce enough thrust to lift It. As complete (with battery) it weighed 118g . Still a saving in weight but the props being so small (65mm) just didn’t want to lift.

I have now put everything back in the original frame so unable to try your suggestions. Tho I might give it a go another day. as just bit fed up with it today as having other issues now. Can not connect to the sv via wifi. So now can not recalibrate to being put back in original frame .

Is it showing the Access Point? Or nothing? If not, then it’s likely the cable to the Sonix is not snug.

Nothing at all. Have triple checked all connections. But I’ll deal with it in the morning now.

Sorry you’re having these issues. I tested my home made antenna in the backyard and it connected and flew but gusting breezes made it wonky. I went to a local park to test distance but there was a spring event that took over the place and had to forget that idea. Will try tomorrow.

1 Like

@Leztec . . . I’m ready to order a 5dB antenna if it will do any good with range. Found one for $2.15 that will ship to the US.

@Dude its ok all part of the hobby and gives me something to play with lol an yes keep us posted on your antenna progress.

@JEFFGORDON all you really need is the cable then can use/try any antenna you like

For lighter airframe, this might work. I loaded SV controllers on very old geared quad frame. All up weight is 124g, 19g lighter. Tried indoors only but flew ok without changing PID so far.

This frame is very old WLtoys V959 V212 V222 parts which I played as light acro quad before (https://youtu.be/W5OywFelzMw).

I do not see this sold any more, but see similar one available and I got one of them, mold is different but construction is similar. You can find as ‘CW CCW Motor Propellers Body Frame Gears for UDI RC Quadcopter Accessory’ at ebay.