Hexsoon EDU650 ESC calibration problems

Hello, I am having problems calibrating the ESCs on ardupilot. Once I power on the drone the ESC constantly beep, I installed PX4 and this issue was not present and was able to fly, but I wanted to change to arducopter. I´m using the ESC that came with the hexsoon kit, but I was not able to find any manual.
Thanks in advance.

There is nothing special about the ESC’s provided. They are standard old school PWM units. ESC’s beep when they don’t get a proper throttle signal.

Sorry for the noob question, is my first time building a drone. I tried changing the PWM range from the parameters, but it didn´t solve the issue, also disabled the safety switch. I was wondering if there is a parameter that is necessary to change in this case, I´ve tried most of the solutions that I found online. I am using the FS-I6x 10 channel transmitter and FS-IA6b receiver. Here is my parameters file
Hexsoon_EDU650.param (16.8 KB)

Try setting this back to default FS_THR_VALUE and turn all the arming checks back on and don’t turn them off. The error messages presented can give you a clue as to what is wrong. Other than that it looks like a typical quad configuration with the motors connected to Main 1-4 outputs. What Flight Controller is it?

I´m using a pixhawk 6c. I tried what you mention and there is no error mesage. But now the beeping is faster, when I try to do the ESC calibration it beeps first two times, then 3 times and then 4 times looping like this.

You need to calibrate esc

Yes but how - there are no instructions. Does it use standard: boot with high throttle then wait for the beeps then go low throttle? This isn’t working for me.

Do the esc’s calibrate with the reciever? Seems the biggest issues with these auto pilots and mission planner is esc calibration, you’d figure they would change this and add an esc throttle analysis that shows what’s wrong with the esc. If I find a solution to mine I’ll let you know, messed with mot_spin min/max, ana_pin, Pwm min-max, esc out put codes, safety switch and all, watched every esc calibration vid in YouTube.

I see this note with this kit:
NOTE: The GPS and Autopilot are are not included.
ESC’s should be added to that note so ESC’s that you really want (BLHeli_32) can be used w/o throwing those old school units in the bin. Then there is no ESC calibration problem. And you get the other benefits.

Hi @timtuxworth,

The standard ESCs can be calibrated in the regular way. They do have quite a large deadzone at the bottom so I found I needed to increase MOT_SPIN_ARM to 0.16 and MOT_SPIN_MIN to 0.18 (using the Motor Test procedure here on the wiki)

By the way a number of core dev team members have built hexsoon EDU650s recently and we’ve just updated the EDU-650 reference frame page wiki page and will soon update the tuning parameters.

Thanks Randy - that reflects what I’m seeing about the deadzone. I’ve been watching Andy Piper’s excellent videos and thanks for the parameter updates, I’ll be using those.

Just trying some things, reset prams to start over and saw the outputs where turned off, gonna disable safety switch, also checking bitmasks

Ok I having the same issue I think. Normally if you select Dshot you should not need to set arm spin rate, If it’s a non dhsot esc you need to calibrate with the Radio. Right now (BLHeli_16) is not working without setting spin very high and I think not normal. I have a 6 and 1 i am beta testing it’s a s type and not flying well.

I would agree but the BLHeli_16 bit are on the market and should work without issues when it comes to calibrating. I ask what has changed?

This needs to work perfectly without setting spin rate. I have found years ago that it can take a few times when you hear all escs chime you good to go. i think sometimes it has to do with arming.

I guess you mean blheli_s ESC’s. The common approach with those is to flash the Bluejay firmware providing Dshot and Bdshot. Then you are back to no calibration required and you have the advantage of Bdshot to drive the notch filter.

For non Dshot. Go to esc calibration and hit the button, must have radio plugged in and calibrated. reboot the FC with the radio throttle set to high. the FC main led will flash red. hit the arm switch and lower the throttle to min. All the esc will beep and reboot power up as normal. Props off always,

1 Like

Right the S type ----